lipoedema

Options
Are there any other lipoedema sufferers out there? I have inherited lipoedema and am desperate to halt its progress. Have you received any specific dietary advice that has worked for you? (Please note that I am vegetarian and am also on thyroxine for an underactive thyroid).

Many thanks x

Replies

• TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with that as well as lymphodema. So, not only do I have the build up of fat cells, I also have lymph glands that don't drain fluid from my extremeties. i have a damaged lymphatic system likely caused from an illness I had when I was 2 (or that's what the doctor's thought on it is). At any rate, I don't know of any diet or anything that really helps. The doctors told me that in extreme cases liposuction is used as a form of treatment but it's almost impossible to get the insurance companies to cover it. I was also told that carrying extra weight will definitely make it worse. SORRY, probably not what you wanted to hear...I've just accepted it at this point. It's aggrevating though!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying. I had accepted it 5 years ago.....but on my last visit my ankles had increased by a whopping 2cm- very disheartening when I have lost some weight and also walk for 2-3 hours a day with my dog which I didn't have when I was initially diagnosed. I guess that my recent visit has just made me panic- I've been stable up to now but the fact that things are changing worries me. Yes, I have seen something about the liposuction but have seen some horror stories and really don't want to go down that road. I am sorry that you too are a sufferer and wish you well xxx
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    So what do you do to help your lipoedema and lymphoedema? I have to wear compression tights every day which means no cropped trousers even in the summer :( Have you been recommended to have manual drainage massage? x
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    There's a great video by Gary Taubes which he presented at Google which mentioned this affliction, as well as other similar lipo afflictions. You can find the video on YouTube and in the search bar type "authors@google Gary Taubes". The video is over one hour long and he discusses lipoedema at around the 34 minute mark. He provides very good information on how our modern eating patterns encourages certain afflictions, making them worse. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck, sweetheart.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There's a great video by Gary Taubes which he presented at Google which mentioned this affliction, as well as other similar lipo afflictions. You can find the video on YouTube and in the search bar type "authors@google Gary Taubes". The video is over one hour long and he discusses lipoedema at around the 34 minute mark. He provides very good information on how our modern eating patterns encourages certain afflictions, making them worse. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck, sweetheart.

Gary Taubes is a sheister wackadoodle. All of his dietary advise has been debunked.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options

Gary Taubes is a sheister wackadoodle. All of his dietary advise has been debunked.

Of course, that's what Google does. Invite sheister wackadoodles to give presentations to their employees. So, I guess employees at Google are not as intelligent as you are. Surely, you have already demonstrated your strength in intelligence with your eloquent usage of the term "sheister wackadoodles". Is that the nouveau redneck parlance?