Doughnut Plant

Options
So, I'm going to a concert in NYC on Thursday, and there is a slight chance that I'll be going to this place called Doughnut Plant, and I'm trying to figure out how I'll track it. The items aren't exactly comparable to Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme, and they don't have nutritional information.

I am pretty confident that I'll be okay with eating out. I know the tricks and even if there isn't exact nutritional information for places, I can usually find comparable items, but I don't know what to do about Doughnut Plant.

I only plan on getting ONE donut- especially since I'll probably go and split several with my best friend near the end of the month when we take a day trip into the city. I just love the Doughnuts from this place, and I know that having ONE won't hurt me.

http://doughnutplant.com/

How would I track these?

Replies

• Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Not what I wanted this post to be about :( have fun at your concert and good luck with the tracking!!
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Not what I wanted this post to be about :( have fun at your concert and good luck with the tracking!!

Were you hoping for a plant that grows low calorie, high fiber, high nutrient doughnuts?

Sadly, they don't exist
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion is to give them a call and ask if they know the nutritional info for their products. I *think* restaurants in NYC are supposed to have this available.

Barring that, I'll tap into some old memories here (My family owned a donut shop when I was in high school).

All of your cake donuts are going to be very similar in nutrition. The addition of baker's chocolate, for example, doesn't add a huge amount. Similarly, frosting isn't vastly different either. Now, it changes a bit if you choose a crumb topping. That stuff is made from day-old cake donuts chopped up and mixed with extra sugar. So, my guesstimate (with a safety factor) would be to track 500 kcal for non-crumb cake and 620 kcal for anything with crumbs, like that scrumptious sounding Coffee Cake Doughnut.

Their raised donuts look enormous! That's likely a 25x17 baker's rack, which would hold four Dunkin' Donuts (or ours) sized donuts across, instead of only three. There are two sizes of rotary donut cutters commonly available (2.75" and 3.25") and I'm going to take a guess that these guys aren't using a special size. So that puts their raised at approximately 40% bigger than a DD. I'd start with 420 kcal as an absolute bottom for their raised.

And I'm at a loss for those square, filled donuts, but mainly because I'm tired. I'll check back in the morning!
  • honeylissabee
    Options
    NYC restaurants are only required to post nutritional information if they a chain with a certain number of locations, so this place isn't required to post anything.

The yeast doughnuts are HUGE, but I'm probably going with a cake doughnut (the tres leches and blackout cake ones are amazing) or one of the dough seeds (their mini donuts)- I wasn't able to try the rose flavor before, though the creme brulee ones are fairly good.

http://doughnutplant.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/doughnuts-300x199.jpeg
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I would consider it an over day and don't sweat it...

But do not tell me the location of this surely magical place is... It is hard enough to walk past bagel carts loaded with sugary doughnuts...
  • honeylissabee
    Options
    I'm not going to sweat it if I'm over by a little, but I do want to track it regardless. Otherwise, I'm likely to get each one of everything. This place is AMAZING, and I figure if I can preplan for one item it'll help me immensely. I know that I won't be able to resist getting SOMETHING, but I can at least resist getting too much.
  • TimeWarp9
    Options

Were you hoping for a plant that grows low calorie, high fiber, high nutrient doughnuts?

Sadly, they don't exist

They wouldn't even have to be all that - just a plant that grows doughnuts is a good start! :happy:
  • MicheMica
    MicheMica Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Did really nobody answer this? I'm a little surprised... In trying to get that info for myself I keep coming across the same set of answers (in case you're ever in the area again... I work a few blocks away so this info was a MUST for me!): it's not a steadfast answer, but you can expect the toppingless doughnuts to be around 250 calories and the topped ones to be about 300. A little high, but for the coffee cake doughnut I'll do it...
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Those donuts are ridiculous. The only tracking I would do regarding those donuts would be the track of sugary fried goodness left from my greasy fingerprints all over the donut case.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you ever are there again, do this -- get a coconut cream doughnut, warm it up for 30 seconds-1 minute over your hot coffee, and get your foodgasm.

That is my morning routine (I live in NYC) and can buy this doughnut on my way to work.
    Every morning I have to fight myself to not get several of them. I am addicted like crazy. (while I have 0 interest in other doughnut places).

I exercise religiously just to eat these.