high protein low carb meal plan ideas

Options
Ok so i made up my mind and im starting a high protein low carb diet and i cant find anything online about what to eat . Like do i eat high prtein for breakfast or lunch or dinner , do i mix them together in my meals ? Im going to look up recipes but not sure how to combine them . Any ideas ?

Replies

• ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    low carb, high protein and HIGH FAT...

here are some good recipes... http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into the Paleo Diet or as it is sometimes called, The Caveman Diet. This is high protein and although it is not strictly a low carb diet, from what I understand it does eliminate the "bad" starchy carbs. The carbs eaten in Paleo are from fruits and veggies which have a low glycemic index compared to other carbs. Might be worth a look for you.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Eat your usual but skip the carbs. Not hard. Instead of chicken and veg and rice, have more chicken and veg but no rice. Instead of steak and mashed potatoes and salad have a bigger steak and salad. Etc.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Meat
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Meat and vegetables all day long.

Breakfast = omelet with chopped veg
    Lunch = chicken with salad
    dinner = salmon with broccoli
  • moya1219
    moya1219 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Toddis - does it have ro be salmon ?
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
  • kinzieplatt
    kinzieplatt Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just started adding recipes to my website if you're interested! the site is still under construction but I still have a decent amount of recipes of there!!
    MetabolicEating.com

Kinzie :)
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you have decided to eat this way? It seems you don't particularly understand it to be asking if it has to be salmon etc...

Low carb high protein is quite easy to follow though - If you are asking if you do it breakfast, lunch and tea or mix it up etc - these are things you have to decide for yourself... generally it is a blanket 'low carb high protein' - all the time.

omlettes, bacon and eggs, left overs from tea the night before - they are all great options for breakfast.
    lunch meats and salads, curried eggs, lettuce wraps (using a lettuce leaf in p[lace of a wrap etc) stuffed mushrooms, capsicums, other veg...
    Tea much the same - if you struggle, look at ways to use cauliflower grated in place of rice - or mashed in place of potato - use carrot strips, or zucchini strips in place of noodles...

low carb, high protein is exactley how it sounds. Atkins is another high protein low carb type diet, Power of protein books are great to show you meal ideas and give you a basic understanding - are you planning on starting at the minimum 20g of carb a day limit?

If you google "low carb high protein" HEAPs of results come up.
  • moya1219
    Options
    I decided to eat this way because ive been doing alot of research and i mean alot and so far what ive read and what ive been told ks for my weight goal and my body shape this would be best . As its been proven that high protein diets are a great way for obese people to jump atart their weight loss short term then switch once theyre weight loss slows down.
    I dont understand it that well but i plan on understanding it to the fullest. What i dont get is how much protein do iceat and how many carbs durin the day. I guess im more of the type that needs to have a meal plan or else i wont eat rigt so thats why im asking for meal ideas to give me an odea of what kind of stuff i cant eat
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on what you are needing to lose - the more extreme ones say no more than 20g of carbs a day in phase 1 of a low carb/high protein plan.

This generally implies no flour/wheat/processed foods, potatoes, rice etc. It also generally implies no fruit. And of course - no sugar. At all. Which means reading every label - or better still - cooking everything from scratch yourself.

The 'carbs' you eat come from veg (grams of carbs - grams of fibre = net grams of carbs... so no more than 20g of net fibre) and you can have 20g of cheese, or 2 tbsp of cream / day too - this also has carbs.

This, is one of the more extreme protein/low carb plans - but - it does help kick start weight loss.

Atkins is similar - you can search for atkins information & get lots of information online - using their supplements & bars is entirely un-neccessary - but - i would suggest a good multivitamin each day. You really may struggle to get complete nutrients as you start out & get use to eating the low carb way. You may also get quite severe withdrawl from sugar/carbs for3 days up to a month... once you get past that, you will start to feel much better - so dont cave!

Power of protein was a great book with a simple 'eat from only this list in phase 1' list - and a clear list of what you can eat & how many carbs to count for each thing... it is particularly restrictive - if you get bored easily - you may struggle.

I think if you are struggling with weight loss & want to persue this line of dieting, it is always a great idea to speak with your GP & see where they think you should start. They can also help monitor your progress & make sure your body is 'coping'
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It is 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. I am also struggling with this. Reached my goal weight, but still have 20% body fat. Get some protein bars in the 200 cal range, and protein powder in the 120 calorie range. 150 g of protein per day for me is hard. I like meat, but also like fruits and veggies. I can do without the rice and bread.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Low carb does not work for me, I havr no energy during work and in the gym if I do this. So please listen to your body, if it works for you, that is great, if you feel low on energy, dizzy etc, add more carbs.
  • moya1219
    Options
    Im needing to lose around 40 to 50 pounds , ill be happy with 40 the extra 10 would be great !
    On this high protein diet how many grams of protein and how many gramd of carbs do i eat daily ? I start tomorrow amd already nought groceries i bought fruits veggies and lean chicken and tilapia :) but yeah can some ine help me with that i cant find any specific amouts online.
    Andbyeah if y body doesnt respind well i will stop this diet amd find one that works for me
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    THINK MEAT - & VEGGIE ON THE PLATE :) very simple

Here is a typical day for me -

breakfast = mushroom omelette

lunch = stir fried chicken with broccoli ,onion,carrots

dinner = Juicy steak with a side of Peas and a nice salad w/olive oil & balsamic
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    following a low carb high protein/fat life style - normally you eat till satisfied - Calories end up counting themselves somehow .You tend to eat more at the beginning but then your appetite is less so you eat much less.