My fundamental principles of weight loss.

Options
In order of importance

1. Accept responsibility for your choices.
2. Accurately track calories in.
3. Accurately track calories out.
4. Evaluate and adapt as needed.

Discuss.

Replies

• sadlerdrew
    sadlerdrew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nailed it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Not bad at all. But I'll ask: you're over 1,000 calories BELOW what MFP suggests for your net on some days. How does that fit in? You're young and eating less than I do at maintenance. I worry that what's working to lose weight will be hard to MAINTAIN.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I actually have my diary set to maintenance calories and I aim for a weekly deficit of 3,500-5,000 calories a week. That's a loss of one to 1.4 pounds per week. This gives me flexibility to go under some days and go over some days and still focus on the weekly deficit.

As far as maintenance goes, I will be aiming to HIT that number every day. I think it's extremely important to properly fuel my body for my kick *kitten* workouts. My TDEE will probably goal down a bit once I hit my goal weight, so I will re-evaluate then and re-calculate my TDEE calories based on the data.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I actually have my diary set to maintenance calories and I aim for a weekly deficit of 3,500-5,000 calories a week. That's a loss of one to 1.4 pounds per week. This gives me flexibility to go under some days and go over some days and still focus on the weekly deficit.

As far as maintenance goes, I will be aiming to HIT that number every day. I think it's extremely important to properly fuel my body for my kick *kitten* workouts. My TDEE will probably goal down a bit once I hit my goal weight, so I will re-evaluate then and re-calculate my TDEE calories based on the data.
    okay. I still think you're not eating enough. (i'm pushing 50 and in maintenance and I eat more). And not fueling your body for the long haul and your workouts. But best of luck with your journey.
  • sadlerdrew
    sadlerdrew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think this strategy handles these concerns. It is all about being aware of your decisions, recording what you put in your body, what energy is expensed and then evaluating as new levels are reached.

The weight loss, increase in strength, and improved definition can speak for itself. Now, I just want to have my own similar improvements!
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I'm talking about! Principle number 4: Evaluate and adapt as you go. Previously, my focus has been only on weight loss. Recently, I've incorporated lifting into my fitness and health routine and this has caused me to re-calculate my TDEE. In 4 weeks, after some more data has been collected, I will need to re-evaluate to determine if I'm giving my body enough fuel. As of present, I am consistently setting PRs on my lifts and my performance in the weight room has been above acceptable. If in a few weeks, I find that my performance is suffering and/or I'm feeling lethargic, fatigued, or another negative side effect that can be contributed to too few calories in, I will happily re-evaluate the data and go from there. Thank you for giving me the chance to explain my principles in action. :)