Favorite Homemade Salad Dressings?

Options
I eat tons of raw veggies in the form of chopped salads and I've come up with a dressing that's non- fat and amazing that I thought I'd share with y'all in hopes that you might share some of your favorites as well!

First off.... salads. As far as I'm concerned, anything goes and I don't make them as I need them. I make one HUGE salad that I separate out into gallon bags and take some to work, too. If I ever get the munchies I just grab a handful and problem solved.

Here's what I made the other day to go with it:

Non-fat Italian Tomato Dressing

In a blender....

1 can of diced tomatoes
2-3 tbsp Balsamic (to taste)
1 sm clove garlic (straight or roasted)
1 tsp Italian herbs? I didn't measure this....
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
salt and pepper

It was delicious!! Next time I'm gonna make it Mexican style with white vinegar, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, onion, and lime.

On cold days I zap the whole thing in a microwave for about 30 seconds to take the edge off.

What do you have to share?

Replies

• Hurricane0721
    Options
    I LOVE maple viniagrette dressing! It's definitely one of my favorite salad dressings. Unfortunately, it's a difficult dressing to come by at the store. However, there are several recipes for that dressing that can be found on the net.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    My two favourites are simple:

1) extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    2) Dijon mustard, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Spicy homemade guacamole. Makes the best chicken salad ever.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    For one serving,1Tsp olive oil,1Tbl (or a bit more) rice vinegar,garlic,Italian seasoning,black pepper.A bit of fresh shaved Parmesan cheese & your salad is ready.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of raw veggies in the form of chopped salads and I've come up with a dressing that's non- fat and amazing that I thought I'd share with y'all in hopes that you might share some of your favorites as well!

First off.... salads. As far as I'm concerned, anything goes and I don't make them as I need them. I make one HUGE salad that I separate out into gallon bags and take some to work, too. If I ever get the munchies I just grab a handful and problem solved.

In a blender....

1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp nutritional yeast
    salt and pepper

It was delicious!! Next time I'm gonna make it Mexican style with white vinegar, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, onion, and lime.

On cold days I zap the whole thing in a microwave for about 30 seconds to take the edge off.

^^This sounds FABULOUS! I'm totally making this tomorrow for my lunch salad :) Thanks for sharing!
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Interested in hearing some dressing recipes.
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Usually make a balsamic or mustard vinaigrette but for taco salad, I mix light sour cream with salsa for a creamy, spicy dressing.
  • ummyasminah
    ummyasminah Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I mix mustard and balsamic sometimes. Also, I love this recipe: http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/skinny-secrets/low-calorie-creamy-balsamic-salad-dressing
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    1 ripe avocado, ranch seasoning packet (to taste), and a splash of raw apple cider vinegar. A creamy, dairy-free healthy ranch!
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I love taking any crunchy veggie, chopping it up and putting it into a salad! I like it the best when you have lots of different colored veg and it looks like a rainbow.

I recently bought my Mom a walnut balsamic vinegar for her birthday and I can't wait to come home and use a few tablespoonfuls. >.>
    I tend to look things more vinegary and less oily, so I will often forego oil all together. But if I am using it I like olive oil or sesame.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    question? what is the calorie count?
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    1 ripe avocado, ranch seasoning packet (to taste), and a splash of raw apple cider vinegar. A creamy, dairy-free healthy ranch!

That sounds heavenly. What types of salads would you recommend putting it on?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Absolutely-Fabulous-GreekHouse-Dressing/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=greek house dressing&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

This one is so good I've given it as gifts with the recipe attached - I have an aunt who says she could drink it. Easy to make - don't refrigerate it. I use balsamic and/or red wine vinegars depending on what's in the house. It is one of my faves!
  • micherie1969
    Options
    question? what is the calorie count?

For the tomato dressing? Since there's no oils or fats of any kind in it, it's only like 10 calories or so for a 'serving' which to me is between 1/4 and 1/2 cup.

Lots of GREAT IDEAS!!! Thanks, guys!!!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like to sprinkle beet juice and a little lemon juice on my straight veggie salads and (green or marinated) olive juice on my protein salads.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

In a blender....

1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp nutritional yeast
    salt and pepper

sounds yum!

I usually just drizzle a little olive oil (OK now that i'm on MFP i actually measure this!) and fresh lemon juice.

for cabbage slaw i like to mix equal parts:
    canola or other oil (not olive)
    vinegar and /or lemon juice (so that would be one part vinegar or one part Lemon or 1/2 vinegar Plus 1/2 lemon)
    mustard
    honey (I use date honey)
    water
    salt and pepper to taste.
    I shake this up and pour over shredded cabbage, shredded carrot, red onion, toasted slivered almonds and cranberries (really don't need a lot of the almonds and cranberries but it gives it a little oomph.)

Sometimes i make tahini (mix tahini paste with lemon juice, water, spices) or tahini-yogurt sauce (mix tahini with yogurt, add a little water/lemon and spices).
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I make homemade balsamic vinaigrette too. My recipe includes olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, chopped garlic, and salt & pepper. I love it.
  • kimkay1985
    kimkay1985 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

In a blender....

1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp nutritional yeast
    salt and pepper

Why the nutritional yeast??