Don't judge me, please

Options
First off, I know there is a HUGE amount of controversy over the HCG diet. The bottom line is, we are all here for weight loss support. We all have different bodies that act in their own ways. I am not here to be judged for my decisions to use HCG to jumpstart my weight loss...which, by the way, has done more help than exclusively exercising and eating healthy for over a year. I have finished my first round of the hHCG drops, and am looking into another method for my round 2. Has anyone heard of or used the transdermal HCG and had any success?

Replies

• precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    what is hcg i never heard of this
  • ryanez1980
    Options
    I've never heard of the HCG diet. What is it exactly?
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    what is hcg i never heard of this

same here
  • amyv1983
    amyv1983 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have never heard about it either but I googled it and this is what I got.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_hCG_Diet_Protocol
  • lahlie
    lahlie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This is the best explanation that I have found for how this is supposed to work, and from everything that I have heard from everyone I know that has been successful with it, swears by it. We shall see! :)

"HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin...) is a hormone produced during pregnancy. One of it's functions is to ensure the growing fetus receives enough nutrients to grow and develop normally. It does this by making the abnormal fat stored in the mother's body available for use. The mother's body is then able to use this fat for nutrients and energy despite her intake. This is why women can throw up for three months straight during "morning sickness" and the baby does not suffer. Pregnancy is the only time HCG is found in the body.

When HCG is taken, the body is able to tap into it's stored fat and utilize it. When combined with a calorie resctriction diet, the person is subsisting more on their stored fat than on what they are eating. They are burning 3500-4000 calories of stored fat daily which amounts to losing 1-2 pounds every day!"See More
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    well... we just talkign about this in my nutrition class... it doesnt work....

the diet plan from hcg is reducing your calories so much that of course your going to lose weight... but you will regain it all back... there is a reason they tell you to lose slow

1)so you dont get loose skin
    2) if you lose it slower your more likely to keep it off
    3) HCG is another fad diet like all the rest of them
    4) a real diet is more of a lifestyle change so you dont fluctuate up and down

and do whatever you want but i was just giving my two cents... goodluck with it a
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I am certainly not judging you, we all have to make up our own minds when it comes to our own bodies, but this is a highly contraversial diet not without risks. I would only suggest that you research the cons as well as the pros. Nothing comes easy without a price.

And for those others of you reading this, I would not recommend this, please see the following links for more information:

http://rebeccascritchfield.wordpress.com/2009/09/16/thinking-about-hcg-diet-look-elsewhere-for-weight-loss/

http://www.prlog.org/10767618-hcg-diet-dangers-side-effects-of-hcg-drops-and-injections.html

Eat well, work out like hell and kick *kitten* on those calories!

Lucy
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the HCG diet. What is it exactly?

Search hcg on the posts. There has been tons written on here about it. I beleive it is just another fad diet that is un-sustainable once "treatments" have stopped, because the recipient has not learned to change their eating/exercise habits from before treatment had begun. To inject or otherwise ingest a hormone foreign to your own body seems sketchy at best. Ask yourself this-when has a diet you dropped a lot of weight from rapidly ever resulted in a weight loss over a two year period? Change your lifestyle, count those calories, and exercise! There are no shortcuts to success!:tongue:
  • http://rebeccascritchfield.wordpress.com/2009/09/16/thinking-about-hcg-diet-look-elsewhere-for-weight-loss/
    http://hcgdietinfo.com/hCG-Side-Effects.htm
    http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/hcg-diet/

What is HCG?
    Human chorionic gonadotropin hormone is produced during pregnancy by the cells that form the placenta. It is detected in the blood around 11 days after conception, and in the urine around 12-14 days posst-conception. While it is most commonly associated with pregnancy, it is present in both genders.
    What is the claim?
    Weight-loss related claims surrounding this hormone typically state that daily injections will help you loss 1-3 pounds per day, through fat mobilization. The “diet plan” includes these injections in combination with a very low-calorie intake (500 calories per day).
    What does it really do in the body?
    HCG signals the hypothalamus to mobilize fat stores. In pregnancy, this helps the body bring nutrients into the placenta to fuel the fetus with energy to grow and develop.
    Is it banned in any sports?
    The HCG hormone was recently added to the list of “banned substances” in Major League Baseball; it was becoming increasingly popular among steroid users. Athletes turned to this, among other “performance enhancing drugs”, because it “mitigates the side effects of ending a cycle of steroids.”
    According to Ruth Wood, an expert in steroid use at the University of Southern California, “They use (HCG) to essentially jump start testosterone production.”
    Source: HCG popular among steroid users, has other uses
    Are there any negative side effects of this hormone/drug?
    The common side effects can include headaches, mood swings and depression.
    More severe side effects can include the following: blood clots, confusion, and dizziness. Some women may also develop Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS); symptoms of this include pelvic pain, swlling of the hands and legs, stomach pain, weight gain, shortness of breath, diarrhea, vomiting/diarrhea/nausea, and/0r urinating less than normal. This can be a life-threatening condition, contact a physician as soon as possible if you experience any of those symptoms.
    Source: www.drugs.com/hcg/html
    ShareThis
    Tags: dieting, HCG, weight loss
    Just to disclaimer myself for the person who originally posted. Many of those who replied stated that they had no idea what the diet is. The links here will give you info, as does the text that I've C&P'd here. I wouldn't recommend using it ... I wouldn't use it myself .... And the 2 people I know who have had to be hospitalized because of its use wouldn't recommend it either. The problem is that if you're going to post something then you have to expect people to respond. I'm also sure if you hit the internet hard enough you might even find some positive reports. I haven't yet .... But I'm sure there are 1 or 2 out there. Anyone who is on MFP can utilize any type of weight loss plan that they like, but if one opinion is good then so is another. It's not a matter of judging you .... It's a matter of having a strong opinion that's very different from yours. IMHO weight loss has to be a lifestyle change that comes from assessment, dedication, and commitment ... There are no fast lanes on this Journey.
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love how she is asking about her round 2 and the title says dont judge me but all everyone has been doing is giving their opinion on the "diet" LOL
  • tater8589
    Options
    No judgment. Sometimes we have to jumpstart and gain some confidence to get on the right track. Just be careful :)
  • losing4myself
    Options
    I've done part of a round with the hcg drops but then stopped because I thought I might be pregnant. It's been a couple months now and i'm just starting to do it again! Today is day two of my gorge days! People don't understand about this diet, they make up their minds about it and then ignorantly judge others who choose to do this and in the process misinform other who know nothing of the diet and make them against it. This diet IS safe people!!! And no...it isn't long term and you do only eat 500 cals a day but that doesn't mean it doesn't teach you a healthy lifestyle change....after my partial round I never felt so healthy and alive and all I wanted to do was continue eating that way because it made me feel so great! Other diets you can so easily "cheat" and get off track but with the hcg you can't...if you do you learn quickly that you have to greatly pay for doing so. And i'm not sure exactly what it is you are asking about round two...I would just do it the same you have did it the first time! Good luck!
  • salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first round of 30 days on the HCG protocol and I lost 37 lbs. I felt great and didn't have any weird side effects. I am now on my maintenance phase and have done great. I think that diets and ways to lose weight are different for everyone, it just depends. I was having a hard time losing just counting calories and working out. I thought I would try the HCG, and it worked for me. I am not telling you to do it or not to do it, just make the decision for you and based on what you read. Good luck to you.

Also you may want to download a copy of the Dr. Simeons "Pounds and Inches" book, everyone should read it before they decide.

Thanks,