christmas cookies at work :(

Options
The communal cookie platter at work...I start out strong but by the end of the day I loose control!
I know im not alone on this one ! Any advise to curb the cravings? So hard to eat healthy in a room full of people eating sweets!

Replies

• unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Drink water. Eat a little bit of protein. Maybe tell yourself you will have one at the end of the week and allow yourself room for one cookie at the end of the week, eat it and enjoy it!
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It's not what you eat from november to december, it's what you eat from december to november. Enjoy the holidays...
  • brown46545
    brown46545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I chew gum. If there is something I really really want, I will have one of them. But otherwise chew gum (then you have to make the effort to take it out, find a trash can, go back to the treat, etc.). And drink lots of water.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It's not what you eat from november to december, it's what you eat from december to november. Enjoy the holidays...

Excellent Reply!!
  • llyakl88
    llyakl88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself if you want one - it won't kill you! Just log it and work out a little harder later.

The key is moderation!

BUT with so many 'treats on offer at this time of year, I find taking healthy snacks to work - a banana, nuts, seeds is a great way to keep me feeling full so I am less tempted.

Good luck and don't beat yourself up about it if you slip once in a while!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The communal cookie platter at work...I start out strong but by the end of the day I loose control!
    I know im not alone on this one ! Any advise to curb the cravings? So hard to eat healthy in a room full of people eating sweets!

Shut your eyes, hold your breath, and walk away from the cookies to your own healthier snacks that you brought from home :)
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options

I'm framing that. Great quote! :)
  • angela1482
    angela1482 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I pawn them off on other people. Whenever someone walks in the office I tell them to have a cookie...or two...or twelve. If they eat them I won't. If they are not all gone by 4pm then my willpower is working on overload!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ask around and see if there are others who want a veggie platter with carrots, brocolli, etc. that way you have a second option.

this isnt a problem i have since i'm allergic to wheat and none of those platter cookies are going to be worth resulting allergic reactions. i save those for for things like kouign-amanns. but if i'm interested in something, i'll ask a coworker to eat one for me and tell me how it is. usually they're like "ummm it's just OK". so it's not like i'm missing out.
  • wanttobeskinny1212
    Options
    Brush your teeth beforehand then everything will taste disgusting and you wont want to eat it :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Just eat one. They're probably crappy storebought ones - you'll take a bite, realize it tastes like cardboard, and lose interest.
  • missraven325
    missraven325 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have similar problems at work. Not just with cookies either. My coworkers are obsesses with cake and cupcakes also and they are even more obsessed with forcing others to eat them. They do not like taking no for an answer, even if you tell them you're watching what you eat. My trick is to just get mad. Not outwardly, I'm not mean about it to other peoole, I just try to cultivate a stubborn attitude and allow myself to get annoyed by it rather than tempted. It sounds counterintuitive, but it helps me to not give in. If you have a bit of a rebellious side to you, let it out a little, "I'm not going to do what you tell me to do, and I'm not going to be like the rest of you."
    However, I also would not be opposed to allowing yourself one cookie at the end of the day or week as a reward for making it through the day without pigging out. You gotta live a little, too haha
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I chew Orbit's pink bubblemint gum. It's sugar free and minty, so if you eat a cookie, it'll taste awful. Worse than brushing your teeth before eating. I buy it by the bag now. I'd also do what someone else said, plan to eat a cookie or some other treat on Friday.
    I also imagine how many calories are in each treat and visualize how much exercise it would take to burn it off. That can be a real eye opener.
    Good luck and if you do indulge, work it off.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    My workplace is like all the time. not just at Christmas.

People bring in chocolate and cookies and cake for any occasion. Because they are going on vacation, are returning from vacation, going on maternity leave or returning. Because someone got promoted, or a project got completed on time. Every filing cabinet is littered with sweets and treats.

I try to stick to having only a tiny bite of stuff, which I dutifully log. Happily I don't really have a sweet tooth. I find the open packets of Kettle Chips and Pringles much harder to resist.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Love this!!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

A month is a long time to indulge.

I'd set aside the calories for a reasonable number of cookies, like 2, and drink a lot of coffee. You could put your diet on hold, and aim for maintenance between now and the new year, to allow more calories for treats. What I wouldn't want to do is let it all go and gain weight.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options

I couldn't agree with this more! The less "food guilt" I put on myself--the more I can enjoy my food. It''s a shift in mindset. I also make sure to eat extra greens a good lean protein when I know I am going to be doing sweets....it helps me to keep from feeling yucky. Have some treats...just don't have ALL the treats!
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have that same situation on my job, and cookies are my nemesis. The only way that I can deal with it effectively is to not go near the holiday table. It's difficult for me to have just one cookie. That one is a trigger, and it leads to a downward spiral. Maybe one day I'll be more in control. But for now, I just say no, as often as I can. When I give in, I just log it and keep it moving.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    cheese used to curb my carb cravings when I was a low carber. take string cheese to work in an insulated bag with a little ice pack. It's not going to "fill you up" but it's gonna make you less "starving" or "carb craving" and likely to overload on cookies. Then have the cookies at a precise time of day, say 3pm for afternoon break. By then the pickings will be slim and you won't have as many. Also have them after your coffee from your coffee break or with it and this should cut down how many you have significantly.

Partake though, it's the holidays and a little enjoying of them won't hurt.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options

^Quality quote! A couple of cookies a few times a year are not going to de-rail you - so enjoy responsibly! (If you want to, that is)