Jillian Michaels Master your Metabolism?

Options
Red13
Red13 Posts: 287 Member
I've been on a health book kick lately, and came across Jillian Michaels "Master Your Metabolism". It is really interesting and I am going to start following her rules. I was just curious if anyone else has established this lifestyle and how they feel. For those of you unfamiliar with the book, it really goes into the scientific breakdown of what good foods do for your body and what elements (processed foods, toxic chemicals, not getting enough sleep) really messes up with your hormones and ability to metabolize at a good rate. I would recommend this to those who seem stuck in rut or believe they have a thyroid problem. WAIT, I would recommend this to EVERYONE because this is how America should be eating!!!

Replies

• pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I just got the book but haven't read it yet. I think I will start it, though. Sounds interesting!
  • peck113
    Options
    I've read it and your right it is amazing. It is a lot of info and facts to process. I'm taking things in stages. Such as, as I run out of items, I am replacing them with the natural versions.My pocket book wont allow me to throw everything out at once. At the first of the year I was really faithful with my eating habits and I was amazed at the difference I could see in the cellulite in my legs. I fell of the wagon some but I'm back with it now. I've just bought the new cookbook that go along with the book. I've tried 4 of the receips and I really like 3 of them. The other one just needs a little adjusting for my taste.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I've read another book by her, but the name escapes me. Another book that I HIGHLY recommend is YOU on a Diet by Dr. Oz. It is the most informational down to basics nutrition and body book I've ever read.
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've read another book by her, but the name escapes me. Another book that I HIGHLY recommend is YOU on a Diet by Dr. Oz. It is the most informational down to basics nutrition and body book I've ever read.

i LOVE dr oz..and this book was quite interesting
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I'm reading this book now and am completely amazed. I'm also completely grossed out by the amount of plastic that I didn't realize that I come in contact with daily.... I've been looking to see if there is anywhere in my area where I can buy milk in non-plasticized containers....nope. We're working on reducing the plastic that comes in contact with our food... VERY DIFFICULT!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    loved that book. I work on it and her plan. The plastic was amazing. I'm afraid that our generation and our kids are going to see the impact as it's like we were the guinea pigs. :(
    I hope by changing things up we can combat our impact at least.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    loved that book. I work on it and her plan. The plastic was amazing. I'm afraid that our generation and our kids are going to see the impact as it's like we were the guinea pigs. :(
    I hope by changing things up we can combat our impact at least.

This is just one of those things that hit me like a freight train... it's been in front of my face for so long that I didn't even notice it... ya know? Think about babies... plastic lined diapers, plastic bottles, plastic toys, plastic pacifiers, plastic car seats, plastic coated spoons, plastic high chairs, etc.... what chance do they have? Our kids endocrine systems are destroyed before they make it out of diapers!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    ive read 3 of her books, that 1 is good info, but just dont get too stuck on it, because then you would have to live in a bubble away from earth!....we just need to be making better choices.
  • acc82
    acc82 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have read the book to and I basically try to use it as my nutrition Bible! I can't do EVERYTHING she reccomends but I try to do most of it. I had read the book at the same time that I was getting into eating organic anyway (after watching Food, Inc - also highly reccomended). After I read it, I stopped buying water bottles, bought a PUR filter (takes out 98% of the pharmaceuticals in the water), started buying whatever I could organic if possible, and applied some of her eating rules.

So, I can say that after eating this way for a couple of months, I feel so much better. As far as weight loss - After I first read it, i dropped 10 lbs using weight watchers and it as a nutrition guide. but you still have to count calories, IMO. you can gain weight eating to much healthy food too.

I definately reccomend cleaning the pastics out of your house. I only buy BPA free stuff now. I definately reccomend the PUR filter if you can't afford reverse osmosis. And, drinking more of the purified water is good for your health/nutrition anyway. I also reccomend eating organic. This is sometimes hard to do depending on what's avaliable to you. I don't have a whole foods near me and couldn't afford the prices anyway. So, i buy organics at publix and costco. And, if I can't find a particular meat in an organic option, I will eat inorganic. However, I won't budge on dairy. I always buy dairy organic. Also, IMO, organic fruits and veggies taste better.