Kettle Bells

Options
Has anyone had any luck with kettle bells? I am looking to add some strength training to my routine and have been thinking about getting a kettle bell but do not want to invest the money if they are over rated. Also, anyone with kettle bell success have any good exercises/workouts I could take a look at?

Replies

• taravernier
    taravernier Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really like using Kettlebells. I would say to make sure your instructor is RKC certified or look for really well rated DVDs. I love Lauren Brooks and she has lots of different stuff out there and is very beginner friendly.
  • clintondeterville
    clintondeterville Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    most of my weight loss/ muscle gains has been because i bought myself a kettlebell get one you can not beat it for a full body work out
    :smile:
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I started with kettlebells last year and noticed significant improvements in my strength, plus they are alot of fun. I highly recommend them, but I second what someone else said. If you can, get a certified RKC trainer. If you can't do that, look for videos by RKCs-there is alot of crap on youtube that will get you injured (ahem, jillian michaels). Lauren Brooks, dragondoor.com, Sarah Lurie...stick with them...
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells workouts are SO fun. My favorite dvd is Jillian Michael's, but I love her so that might color my opinion. ;)

The one issue with KBs is they are kinda expensive and as your progress (which happens quickly if you are using them often enough) you need heavier ones and the heavier they get the more pricey they are too.
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into this myself and was a bit freaked as you need to do proper form to prevent injury, but obviously swinging a weight around increases the risk.

Somebody suggested to me on my post about reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women which I downloaded for my kindle.

I'd pass this info on. I've started reading and you can see common misconceptions and myths that relate to women/weight training. I've only recently started it but I think it goes onto nutrition and may do some training programs. I'd recommend it.

:drinker:
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    As a true beginner, BEWARE THE YOUTUBE. Even though good information is out there, a LOT of bad information is out there too. If a session with a certified instructor isn't a possibility, then (as mentioned above) Lauren Brooks, Tracy Reifkind, Sarah Lurie are all good information sources. Sarah Lurie wrote "Kettlebells For Dummies", which I have heard is a great beginner resource, though I haven't read it myself.
    I know that their fans will hate me for saying it, but the kettlebell workouts from Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels will teach you how to get injured. Don't waste your effort.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just bought a kettle bell to use at home - my gym only lets training clients use the kettle bells - boo. But I guess they don't want someone swinging them and accidentally letting them go and injuring a member or breaking mirrors . I had a personal trainer who always made me do kettle bell exercises - just a basic kettle bell swing is a great total body work out. I got great gains in my endurance and my strength from it. She started me out swinging for 30 seconds and I almost died that day (not really but I felt like my lungs were gonna explode), but by the end of my training sessions I could do it for two minutes. (I was still sore as all get out from it though :) ). I'm going to get a couple more to try to incorporate those exercises at home as I really do not like doing weights at the gym. I'm not a fan of the machines and the free weights are always full of people.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    They are a little expensive but two heavy ones should be plenty, and overall much cheaper than a full set of dumbbells and barbells and a bench.

Check out livefitrevolution.org for RKC-led, free workouts and instruction and lots of info.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Somebody suggested to me on my post about reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women which I downloaded for my kindle.

I'd pass this info on. I've started reading and you can see common misconceptions and myths that relate to women/weight training. I've only recently started it but I think it goes onto nutrition and may do some training programs. I'd recommend it.

:drinker:

Yeah great book, and I'm not sure if they discuss kettlebell workouts in the book... but then kettlebells are really just a dumbbell with a different shape. Translation: they handle differently and are more accomodating for different exercises.

Ultimately kettlebells aren't anything special. They are just a weight with handle. And it's the weight that's going to get you the results, not the design.

The good thing about kettlebell workouts though is that, from my understanding, they tend to be more cardio focused. So it can be a decent alternative to the treadmill if you want something more interesting.
  • briebuck
    briebuck Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JbTKR50rk
    really a total body workout!!

and get a kettle bell thats heavy - 25lbs and work your way up to more reps. it will take a while or maybe never before you have to spend money to get another one.
    witht he heavier kettlebells use two hands when doing arm raises or tricep workouts...