Can't I just make up my own heavy lifting program???

Options
Just wondering about making up my own heavy lifting program for the following reasons:
No squat rack or weight bench
No gym member and no babysitter
Unemployed for the winter season
What I do have:
Universal gym machine that I mainly just use for bench presses
Elliptical
Weight bar with about 240lbs
10 lbs and 25lbs dumb bells
What I can currently do:
Front squats 110lbs 3x5
Ohp 60lbs 3x5
Back rows 80lbs 3x5
Deads 165lbs 1x5
Bench press with bar 30lbs 3x10

Cardio:
Skate once a week
Badminton once a week
Dance night with my baby once a week lol
Evening walk once a week

Deit:
Very unknown and prob about 50/50 healthy vs unhealthy lately

Goal:
To lower body fat in order to have leaner thighs, belly, bum. I'm happy with my upper body but I would be interested in improving. I am currently 150-155lbs and 5'9

I was wondering if I could incorporate a few different heavy lifting programs into my own all while continuing with my normal cardio regimen????

This is what I was thinking:
3 days a week all full body work outs:
Pushups 3x10 increasing by 5 more pushups each week
Front squats 3x10 80lbs increasing 5lbs ech week
Ohp 60lbs 3x5 adding 1 rep each week and 5lbs each month
Brows 3x5 at 85lbs increasing reps and weight as required. Failure at 10 reps.
10 Burpees increasing by 5 each workout
Ab crunches on exercise ball rotating days with leg rises. 10 increasing by 5 more each workout.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with what you've got there. You may want to put a cap on how many burpees and situps you do before you add 5 more each week until the end of time. And you're going to want to get your deit in check if you want to have any sort of consistent, repeatable results
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I assume you're a beginner (or relatively new to lifting). You can in theory make up your own program but until you have a bit more experience I'd stick to an existing proven program for beginners. Pick something you like the sound of and modify it where necessary to accomodate the equiptment you do have.

Got it :)

What about some dead lifts in there somewhere?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

it's there. she's pretty much got it all covered except for curls in the squat rack
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    Looks like a pretty balanced compound routine to me, given the equipment you have got. Would consider throwing in some core work for abs occasionally.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    whitegoodman_display_image.jpg?1302716798
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    PEIIslandGirl100 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I assume you're a beginner (or relatively new to lifting). You can in theory make up your own program but until you have a bit more experience I'd stick to an existing proven program for beginners. Pick something you like the sound of and modify it where necessary to accomodate the equiptment you do have.

Whoops I forgot to mention Deads. 1x5 Deads staring at 160lbs twice a week. Ad 5lbs each week
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    Options
    Looks like a pretty balanced compound routine to me, given the equipment you have got. Would consider throwing in some core work for abs occasionally.
    Core work is included on my list. Or do u mean something else?
  • gmallan
    Options

it's there. she's pretty much got it all covered except for curls in the squat rack

Doesn't have a squat rack so I think we're safe :)
  • gmallan
    Options

Whoops I forgot to mention Deads. 1x5 Deads staring at 160lbs twice a week. Ad 5lbs each week

Sounds good. The only other thing I would note is that burpees are really cardio so I would either do these at the end or as part of your warmup
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    Options
    Awesome. I'm excited to start this new thing. Now anybody have any idea how long doing this schedule will I see big fat loss and better leaner looking body? Like 6 months of consistency maybe? Then after that just maintain my lifestyle but be able to eat a little more and a little more sweet??
  • gmallan
    Options
    Awesome. I'm excited to start this new thing. Now anybody have any idea how long doing this schedule will I see big fat loss and better leaner looking body? Like 6 months of consistency maybe? Then after that just maintain my lifestyle but be able to eat a little more and a little more sweet??

Remember that fat loss will mainly come through what you are eating, so get your calories and macros in check. Eating adequate protein and lifting while in a modest deficit will help you make sure you're losing mostly fat not muscle
  • terrance250
    terrance250 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Obviously doing something is better than nothing. That being said, I started out the same way, doing my own program with what little I had on hand, and a couple machines we have at work. While I did see some small gains basically I was just spinning my wheels.

Finally decided to purchase a set of olympic weights off craigslist (you already have the weights), & built my own power rack so I could get on a proven progressive program for beginners. Total investment was under $300 and most of that was for the weights, the rack cost me right at $100 & I built it in an afternoon. Not sure if you have any construction skills, or maybe know someone who does, but a nice solid home-built rack is not too hard to slap together.

I'm now only 12 weeks in to a program called AllPro's Simple Beginner Routine and have made more gains in that short time than I did the previous year doing my own thing.

The benefits from lifting are great, but like mentioned above, if weight loss is you're main priority that can all be done in the kitchen :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    Core work is included on my list. Or do u mean something else?

Ah.. I didn't see the core because it was at the bottom of the list, not with the weights.
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    Options
    Obviously doing something is better than nothing. That being said, I started out the same way, doing my own program with what little I had on hand, and a couple machines we have at work. While I did see some small gains basically I was just spinning my wheels.

Finally decided to purchase a set of olympic weights off craigslist (you already have the weights), & built my own power rack so I could get on a proven progressive program for beginners. Total investment was under $300 and most of that was for the weights, the rack cost me right at $100 & I built it in an afternoon. Not sure if you have any construction skills, or maybe know someone who does, but a nice solid home-built rack is not too hard to slap together.

I'm now only 12 weeks in to a program called AllPro's Simple Beginner Routine and have made more gains in that short time than I did the previous year doing my own thing.

The benefits from lifting are great, but like mentioned above, if weight loss is you're main priority that can all be done in the kitchen :)
    Ya I'm not looking to build muscle. If I do great but if I don't that's great to. I just want a stronger leaner looking body with nice sharp curves. I'm naturally curvy but I just don't like certain bulges and cellulite and roll on my back where my bra goes. I need to lose body fat to smooth out my curves. I hope that what I got in place won't take that long but as long as I can see its working then I will keep on going and tweak the program to maintenance once I like the way my body is looking.
  • One_Fur_luck
    Options
    Sounds great.:smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    debt-snowball.jpg
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Clean up your diet, first and foremost.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Remember that fat loss will mainly come through what you are eating.
    I was going to say it!

You have got a great workout routine, and i like how you vary the type of cardio. With all that effort put into your routine, and all the effort it will take to actually DO the routine, you might be setting yourself up for failure if you don't dial in your diet.
  • breasyd2
    Options
    I have found that I can work every single muscle group that I work in the gym with my own free weights at home. You should be able to do it without any problems.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me, but you'll eventually out-lift your current equipment.