Gastric Bypass Pre-Surgery Diet

Options
Hi everyone!

I just had my Consultation with the Doctor and the Insurance advocate for the Gastric Bypass Surgery at Celebration Hospital (minimally invasive with the DaVinci Robotic Surgery). The Doctor said he wants me to do a phase 1 diet then a phase 2 diet before surgery. Then I meet with the advocate and she said that I will be doing the phase 1 diet for one week then phase 2 diet for the next week and keep switching on and off for the whole 6 months my insurance requires for approval. Doing a protein/liquid diet every other week for 6 months seems kind of extreme and usually the majority of doctors recommend doing phase 1 for a couple months then phase 2 before the surgery, like what I thought my doctor said. So I emailed the advocate to make sure exactly how they want me to do the 6 months. Has anyone ever heard of something like this though? Doing the protein/liquid diet every other week for 6 months?

phase 1 - No carbs, grains, starches, oatmeal, sugar. Lean Meats. At least one vegetable or fruit each meal, 2-3 low fat dairy servings. Cut meals in half (what does that mean? that is the actual verbiage). Exercise 5 times per wk.

phase 2 - Daily: 4 protein shakes, 1 cup raw vegetables, 4 fiber supplements, 2 adult multivitamins, 3 servings of dairy. 44 oz other liquids.

Also another point I am bringing up with the dietitian is that my cholesterol is 420 and I need to be on a low cholesterol diet which takes out animal products (which I already personally have been cutting out dairy and meats from my diet out of wanting a more plant-based lifestyle.) They specifically want whey protein isolate, which I don't think is very healthy so I'm wondering does anyone else do a plant-based protein powder? Also phase 1 doesn't mention anything about beans and lentils.

Any help and advise would be appreciated! Im eventually going to be getting answers from them once they get back to me but til then I might have to wait a couple weeks until I can speak with the dietitian. So any knowledge from you guys would be good until then.

Please no bashing or contention, lets keep this civil and conversational. Thank you!

Replies

• hI ! I'm a dietitian who works with bypass patients on a daily basis ... please listen to your doctor and dietitna I'm not telling you not to
    but I will simply offer MY OPINION on the topic ... it dose seem like a bit extreme to me ... for me the patients I see 6 months before surgery I give them a normal healthy balanced diet (low fat high fiber) diet ... and then 2 weeks before surgury ... we do a very ristriced diet 1200-1000 kcal OR shakes
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Also another point I am bringing up with the dietitian is that my cholesterol is 420 and I need to be on a low cholesterol diet which takes out animal products (which I already personally have been cutting out dairy and meats from my diet out of wanting a more plant-based lifestyle.)

For starters, that's not how cholesterol works. Consuming/avoiding cholesterol in food is not what causes blood cholesterol to go up or down.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Pre-Surgery Diet

In all honesty, you are talking about " not really trusting" pre surgery advice. I believe you may be working with someone who is realistic enough to want to see if you have the "chops" to sustain a post gastric bypass lifestyle.
    Many people have the surgery and do poorly afterwards because they can't follow the strict requirements to achieve success.
    If you have reached the point where you need this surgery, why quibble about protein shakes, liquid diet, i.e. "The specifics" when you have a "goal" ----if you were so able to handle your body, your diet, your food intake.....you wouldn't be moving forward with the surgery.
    So....do as you're told, trust your chosen medical team, look forward to a healthier you .......or find other Medical Professionals that you trust to help you reach a stable body weight.

Good Luck!
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    All very good comments. I have no problem following the plan for 6 months if that is what they want me to do. I just think that maybe there might have been a miscommunication between the Doctor and the advocate. So I am wondering if people have heard of similar diet plans like the every other week diet the advocate said to do.
  • marygeeNY
    marygeeNY Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you think there was a miscommunication -- call the doctor's office and say you need clarification, that you want to be sure you've got the information right. They probably have some type of written instruction sheet. You need to be sure you've got the right directions clear in your mind.

Good luck to you.

Mary