dealing with hunger...

Options
this is the end of day 2 for me using the calorie counter/food diary. logging everything i'm eating, i know i'm getting enough to eat, but i still feel hungry. how long do you think it will take for my body to get used to this new diet? i drink tons of water is there any other advice for dealing with it?

Replies

• MsKatyBeth
    Options
    Try chewing gum! I just finished my 10th day of counting calories and logging everything and I still feel hungry! But, when I chew gum I seem to be less hungry!! Maybe its because I trick my body into thinking Im eating more? I dont know, but it might work for you!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough protien, and long lasting foods that have complex carbos in them.
  • LJPurvis
    Options
    For me it is a function of eating smaller meals or snacks throughout the day to keep from starving to death by meal time.
    My breakfasts are very low calorie but filling. I typically put in 1/2 blueberries, a Yoplait Low Fat 100 calorie French Vanilla yogurt, and mix in 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal. The oatmeal really helps the meal stick to the ribs and keeps me full longer.
    I then have a small snack at 10:00AM. Usually a single Nature Valley Granola bar from a double pack.
    For lunch I try to stick with something like low fat cottage cheese, a cut up tomato, and some ham.
    Another snack at 3:00PM...usually some peanuts or the other bar in the package I opened that morning.
    Then dinner is usually a decent meal of meat and vegetables.
    I drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water throughout the day to help keep that full feeling.

Hopefully smaller, more frequent meals will help. It helped me.

Good Luck!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    be sure you are drinking at least half your weight in ounces of water! daily recommended goal for fiber is 25-30grams per day!! if you get that it will really help! be sure you are spreading your food out, "they" say 5 smaller meals instead of 3 bigger meals. and yes chewing gum or sucking on sugar free mints also helps!! it does get easier...i think the time frame for that is diff for everyone though...just stick to it and you will get better about it everyday :) good luck :)
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    definitely make sure you are eating more fiber foods, (lasts longer) fiber one yogurt helped me at first, and its guilt free. Also water is a BIG ONE!!! and slowly start getting away from bad habits, dont just do it all at once....i usually have 2 snacks a good lunch and a light dinner !

You can do it, just keep going, and dont give up !
  • GrandmaCarolyn
    Options
    High fiber and high protein are the answer for me. I eat whole grains and bran cereals such as raisin bran or Crunchy Corn Bran,, barley, beans, nuts, blackberries raspberries, or pears, for instance. Watch the ingrediants of foods. Many are being advertised as whole grain actually contain very little so look for the first ingrediant being bran or whole grain. Some liquid "fiber" doesn't do much good either so don't use additive types. Make sure it is from whole fruits or bran and I look for 5 grams or higher per serving. Lean meats, low fat cheese or cottage cheese, egg beaters+1 egg, are also good sources of protein. I also eat a snack such as some fruit and cheese around 4 and at bed time.. Also, my registered dietition put me on a 1500-1600 cal diet with 93 grams of protein and less than 55 grams of fat, and told me she doesn't want me going below that. When I eat the 1200 cal they recommend I don't lose weight but hit the starvation level in which my body burns more muscle than fat. You might find out what calorie intake other diet programs recommend for you.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    took me about 2 weeks before I adjusted to the new portion sizes, but there is good advice here: water, fiber and protein are your best friends! Carbs arent the enemy, but they don't keep you satisfied for as long, and they're pretty calorie dense, so by focusing on the other areas, you'll stay full longer. More frequent smaller meals also help you stay awaay from a overly hungry feeling that can lead to a breakdown in your goals.

You can do this!!!!
  • mbollman
    mbollman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    High protein snacks help me. I like snacking on almonds or cottage cheese, they're very filling. And try and distract yourself...start a project or something. I felt the same way the first week. And it turned out I lost 10 pounds during week one! Your body will adjust. Good luck!
  • ilse72
    ilse72 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think what works varies per person and you have to find what works for you. I find protein works at keeping me full for a longer period of time. I also don't drink with my meals or for 30 minutes after as that makes the protein digest slower and I don't get hungry as fast. I have been at goal for almost 2 years now and still maintain this way of eating.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Drinking water, eating lean protein and high fiber foods should help. Eating vegetables is great because in addition to fiber, vitamins and minerals, they're pretty low cal so you can eat a lot of them. But if you've just started exercising as well, you're going to feel hungry for a little while. The adjustment can happen in as quick as a few days or as long as a couple weeks.
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi, my new friend!! :happy:

Guiding yourself by the calorie intake is phenomenal, and try to stick to it, but if the first days you're finding it too difficult to deal with, add peanut butter to your snacks (may help keep you more full), eat natural almonds (that really calms my hunger). Add a low-fat yogurt to the end of your meal :wink: like it's a dessert.

My routine is normally Ginger Tea in between meals (when I can). It helps digestion and it's good for you, but any tea can help soothe tummy woes :tongue:

Good luck, my friend, and I look forward to your updates, ok :heart:
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Do you feel hunger in your body (tummy groweling, light-headedness, fatigue, *insert your physical symptom of hunger here*) or are you having cravings?

For physical hunger, eating is the only solution. If your BODY is telling you it's time to eat, then it's time to eat.

If you're experiencing cravings, there are tons of tips-n-tricks to get through them (drink water, drink a carobonated/calorie free flavored beverage (like snapple diet tea or crystal light), distract yourself with a fun activity (like knitting or giving yourself a manicure).

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    It's usually what you're eating rather than how much.

I agree with everyone else - protein! Eat it with everything! Or low look up low GI foods - apples are good for a low GI snack.

It's the insulin spike from eating sugars that makes you more hungry. That's why chocolate is so addictive!! :bigsmile:

If you're going to eat processed carbs (anything white or sweet!), then eat it with high fibre or protein. But it's best to cut back on the processed stuff...

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • CherieLynn31
    Options
    thank you so much for all the awesome advice! i think you are right, charmagnechi, it's cravings not actually hunger. i appreciate everyones input, it really was helpful thank you!:happy: