Does Heavy Lifting Pay Off for Everyone?

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Yes, it pays off for everyone who does it. FFS, this woman doesn't need an exercise program, she needs psychiatric intervention. I can't help it; I've always felt a little sad for her.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Oh good it's this thread again. From the same person. With a new account.

Errr, I mean - squats and deadlifts.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    SnowballAnimation.gif
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This thread was funnier than I expected.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I've been answering questions for this chick and it's actually BarbaraCarr with a new name and the same old questions???

3N4vsZN.gif

There there. Happens to the best of us
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring all of your food?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    this thread doesn't make sense. Did a whole bunch of posts get deleted?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I'm guessing not consistently.
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    PEIIslandGirl100 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts. Now, who in the heck is this Barbara Carr some of you speak of?
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    Options
    No, I've just been eating healthy, with fewer carbs. Although some foods i do measure (especially carbie ones) that why i know how much insulin to take.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This thread was funnier than I expected.

Yes it was. :laugh:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I completely understand that eating at a deficit (and the counting that measuring that goes with that) is a pain in the rear. I've actually been struggling to find the motivation to stick with it for any extended period of time for almost TWO YEARS. I'll do it for 4 or 5 weeks, lose 2 or 3 pounds, then stop counting for 4 or 5 weeks (or longer) and gain 3 or 4 pounds, and then repeat the entire process. I have continued to lift 1-3 times a week throughout (but sometimes entire weeks were skipped).

Wanna know how much progress I've made in those TWO YEARS? Pretty much NONE. It actually resulted in a net gain of about 4 pounds, no noticeable differences in muscle size or definition, no great increases in strength. But I know why I haven't made progress. I'm not making excuses, or looking for easier/better ways to do it. I know what works, I just haven't done it. I have no right to complain about being stuck until I actually DO eat at a deficit for say, 12 weeks, logging, measuring, and everything.

And I actually have been logging for the last nine weeks. I was at a deficit for 7 of those nine weeks. I did have a couple of weeks with low motivation, but I forced myself to log it anyway and got back on track more quickly than I have in the past. In those nine weeks I am now down 0.75" on each thigh, 1" on my hips/bum, 0.25" on my naval, and 0.75" on my waist, and 4.4 pounds. I'm happy with this. Slow progress is still progress.

We aren't just being mean when we tell you you MUST log consistently. We are being truthful. You can't know that it's not "paying off" for you until you do it. 12 weeks. Log every. single. day. Measure as often as possible. Stay under your goal.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts. Now, who in the heck is this Barbara Carr some of you speak of?
    really?
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    Options
    I completely understand that eating at a deficit (and the counting that measuring that goes with that) is a pain in the rear. I've actually been struggling to find the motivation to stick with it for any extended period of time for almost TWO YEARS. I'll do it for 4 or 5 weeks, lose 2 or 3 pounds, then stop counting for 4 or 5 weeks (or longer) and gain 3 or 4 pounds, and then repeat the entire process. I have continued to lift 1-3 times a week throughout (but sometimes entire weeks were skipped).

Wanna know how much progress I've made in those TWO YEARS? Pretty much NONE. It actually resulted in a net gain of about 4 pounds, no noticeable differences in muscle size or definition, no great increases in strength. But I know why I haven't made progress. I'm not making excuses, or looking for easier/better ways to do it. I know what works, I just haven't done it. I have no right to complain about being stuck until I actually DO eat at a deficit for say, 12 weeks, logging, measuring, and everything.

And I actually have been logging for the last nine weeks. I was at a deficit for 7 of those nine weeks. I did have a couple of weeks with low motivation, but I forced myself to log it anyway and got back on track more quickly than I have in the past. In those nine weeks I am now down 0.75" on each thigh, 1" on my hips/bum, 0.25" on my naval, and 0.75" on my waist, and 4.4 pounds. I'm happy with this. Slow progress is still progress.

We aren't just being mean when we tell you you MUST log consistently. We are being truthful. You can't know that it's not "paying off" for you until you do it. 12 weeks. Log every. single. day. Measure as often as possible. Stay under your goal.

Thanks for this post. Couple people told me to eat maintenance or slight surplus while lifting heavy. obviously im gonna gain weight though - i don't want that!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Squats and deadlifts.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Squats and deadlifts.
    that's broscience.
  • fppalmer
    fppalmer Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Squats and deadlifts.
    that's broscience.

ROFL but ... first time I heard it, I love broscience. :)
  • fppalmer
    fppalmer Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Double fail is double fail.

1) You seem to understand the first fail, you must eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. On and off on and off and you've made no progress. Totally expected. Sounds like you've turned this around, you say you're logging more now and its working. GREAT!

2) I'll also point out " I have continued to lift 1-3 times a week throughout" AND "no great increases in strength". Calorie deficit will cause the most dramatic impact on body weight, and perceived body composition. You can lift and lift and lift, and if you are eating too much, you won't SEE much result from the lifting.

BUT YOU SHOULD GET MEASURABLY STRONGER .... its your "I'm lifting and not gaining strength" that set's off a warning sound to me that the lifting part of your routine could be improved.

Lifting weights should make you stronger. If you start out doing 8 pound dumbbell curls, you should way be able to do 20 pound dumbbell curls 2 years later, a massive over 100% strength increase.

If you need tips on the lifting, you can get them here or on other forums, but, you really should be lifting "enough" to see strength gains. If you are lifting enough to see strength gains, AND at a calorie deficit, then its a win win, you'll lose weight and eventually look more fit and muscular. :)

Good luck!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Squats and deadlifts.
    no love for the turkish get up?