FitBit Force or Jawbone Up

Options
I'm really looking into getting the newer Fitbit Force but have also seen the Jawbone Up wristband out there too. I do like that the Force has a clock on it so it can also be used as a watch.

Anyone have these items? Which do you prefer / recommend?

Replies

• decrecm
    Options
    I haven't tried the FitBit but I do love my Jawbone Up.Not sure if the Force tracks sleep, which I like. I have heard mixed reviews from friends with the Nike band. This may help though: http://siliconangle.com/blog/2013/10/17/fitness-band-wars-nike-fuelband-se-vs-fitbit-force-vs-jawbone-up/
  • Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of the watch too. I'm pre-ordering the fitbit force tonight. It comes to Canadian stores on Nov 25th!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I looked into both. The Jawbone Up is much better-looking to me, but it has no display, no web app (IIRC) and requires a manual synch. So to know where I'm at for the day I'd have to take it off, take a cap off, and plug it into my phone to synch, then read my data off the phone. I've had a Fitbit for years and it has wireless synching that's automatic and a display on the device, and both a mobile and web display. Both have vibrating alarms and both track sleep. I wore the Fitbit Flex for a day and the plastic wrist device thing isn't for me, at least not until they make them smaller and/or more attractive.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Jawbone UP band. It didn't look that great, really. More importantly, it got caught on stuff all the time and it died after a month of very gentle use. I switched to a Fitbit One. If I were to get a new device, I'd go with the Fitbit Force. It has more features, is less clunky and less likely to snag on things, and can be removed from the band to slip in a pocket it you don't want to wear the band for some reason.

The UP application does have a prettier and more fun interface... but the functionality of the apps is pretty similar and the Fitbit app is maintained well.

ETA: Oh yeah, I forgot all about the manual sync. You'd think the maker of Bluetooth earpieces would have Bluetooth-enabled a product like this, but nope. You have to plug the UP band into the headphone jack of your iphone/ipod/ipad in order to sync.
  • Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    This is great info, thank you!
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    "If I were to get a new device, I'd go with the Fitbit Force. It has more features, is less clunky and less likely to snag on things, and can be removed from the band to slip in a pocket it you don't want to wear the band for some reason. "

I believe only the Fitbit Flex can be removed from its wrist band, and that's really just for charging and changing bands. It's not programmed to give accurate data unless worn on the wrist. Their other devices (non-wristband ones like the One and Zip) assume you're wearing it on your torso so those can be carried in a pocket.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit Flex, loved it, but sold it to a friend because I just got the Fitbit Force. Love love love it! It is slightly bigger than the Flex, but not bulky. I love the display because, you can get the time, number of steps taken that day, calories burned, distance, and flights of stairs. It also records your sleep and syncs up with MFP very easily.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I looked into both. The Jawbone Up is much better-looking to me, but it has no display, no web app (IIRC) and requires a manual synch. So to know where I'm at for the day I'd have to take it off, take a cap off, and plug it into my phone to synch, then read my data off the phone. I've had a Fitbit for years and it has wireless synching that's automatic and a display on the device, and both a mobile and web display. Both have vibrating alarms and both track sleep. I wore the Fitbit Flex for a day and the plastic wrist device thing isn't for me, at least not until they make them smaller and/or more attractive.
    The new UP has automatic bluetooth syncing.

I loved my UP, but loved is he operative word. It worked fine for a couple months, then died. Looking into it, it's a very common issue. A lot of people are on their second, third, or even fourth UP band. The UP is a great tracker, but reliability is a serious concern.
  • thinkBOXoutside
    Options
    The big deal breaker will be what kind of phone you have. The Fitbit Force has support for both android and iOS markets. Whereas the new Jawbone UP24 and nike fuelband se only have support for iOS...

I have the old version of the up and I love it. I've had no problems with it at all. The main problem other people have with the jawbone up is the caps at the end of the headphone jack tend to disappear if you're not careful. Mostly when taking off coats or sweat shirts. You have to be very aware of where the cap is at all times. They sell extra in packs on the website.

Here is a good review of the fitbit force:

http://www.fitgadgetreviews.com/fitbit-force-review/

You can also find the review for the new Jawbone UP24 and Nike Fuelband SE.

My personal recommendation is the Fitbit Force. I love the watch feature. I might have to get one for christmas :)

Cheers!
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Force. Fit bit has awesome customer service and will give you a new device no matter what happens for 365 days. It is more accurate than the jawbone up according to a friend who has both and wore them plus a heart rate monitor at the same time. It has a better display, and the watch and alarm that is nice. You can also set it to vibrate when you meet certain goals such as as 5 miles or 10,000 steps.

Force all the way.
  • jhp31175
    Options
    Wondering if FitBit is water resistant like Jawbone Up, anyone know?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    The Jawbone and Force are both water resistant, as in a few splashs here and there shouldn't hurt them. The Fitbit Flex is waterproof, as in you can swim in it, shower in it and submerge it.

I don't think Fitbit will really replace any device that is lost, broken or stolen in the first 365 days.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the Bodymedia Fit - its more accurate.
  • jhefti13
    Options
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alicialea
    alicialea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got the Jawbone Up without doing much research and thought it was pretty neat. When I learned about the FitBit Force I thought that it sounded like a better deal because of the altimeter. So far I am missing my Up. Just today, I haven't left my apartment at all and my Force says I have climbed 2 flights of stairs (no there are no stairs or inclines in my apartment)... I do like that it automatically syncs through Bluetooth, but I am now looking into the new Up24 which has that same feature. The I liked the Up app way better than the FitBit app, one of the main reasons being the Up app features a barcode scanner making food tracking much easier! I also thought the Up did a better job of sleep tracking. There are times through the night where I know I have woken up that my Force records nothing about. The face display is also nice on the Force, but I generally have my phone near me if I want to see how I'm doing.
  • tapanmishra
    Options
    My suggestion - Dont buy UP. I am on my 4th replacement and that too has RIP. I have given up on UP. The customer service is very good with Jawbone. They replace without asking any question. But when i think back, the time and the frustration and the motivation interrupts, I think i wasted time. When it works, Up is best. But that does not stay for more time. I have this replacements 4 times in 6 months. You decide.
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit force as a gift and I have the iPhone 4 and the app is not give me my device or the pink icon the instructions keep telling me to push. It's also not showing up in my Bluetooth menu as connected. Anyone else having connection issues with the IOS app
  • Bloomboom
    Bloomboom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just received the fitbit Force. I love it. I have not had any problems with it syncing or linking to MFP.

My wife has a Nike Fuel Band and is "eyeing" my Force. If I was a betting man, I would bet she will have a Force very soon.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I accidentally put my Fitbit One in with the laundry a few days ago. Realized my mistake about 5 minutes into the wash cycle, raced to the machine and fished it out, praying. It was squeaky clean, freshly scented, and beaming with an LED greeting. It's still working perfectly.