Need help buying jeans - Fell into the 16P / 16W hole

Options
I know, this might not sound dieting related, but it is VERY frustrating to diet out of your jean size and not be able to find anything that will fit. This doesn't feel any better for me on the way down than on the way up. To be honest, it's actually easier to find jeans on the way up due to weird sizing quirks. My current size - were it available on this plant - is smack dab in the middle of 16 Petite (misses jeans) and 16 Women's Petite (often listed as 16 short.). As far as I can tell, there is about a 4-5 inch gap between these two sizes*. And yes, they have to be petite jeans. It is not the hemming at the bottom, it is the very unflattering "droopy drawers" effect at the crotch and knees which is hard to fix with alterations.

With my measuring tape of honesty, here is where I am:
Waist: 36
Seat/Hips: 47

I would like to avoid the more expensive options because I've got many pounds to go, but I'm getting close to needing to move into sweatpants due to LOSING weight -unfair! There is only so much a belt can do.

Has anyone else found a magic brand with a more comprehensive list of sizes?

*As an example, Kohl's Sonoma jeans list their 16W as Waist 39, Hip 47. Three inches gap at the waist is too much, but there is no smaller size. The Misses 18P are Waist 34.5, Hip 45. I have tried these on and they are way too tight everywhere - as the sizing guide would suggest, plus being almost impossible to find. I have tried sizing guides for a few other brands and they all seem to show this gap.

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I wear Lee Rider Relaxed Fit. They fit comfortably over my hips without being too big at the waist. I buy them at Walmart for about $18. I was able to transition pretty easily from the 16WP to the 16P. My local Walmart doesn't carry the 16P, but I found them at a nearby K-Mart. I started in the 22WP and am in the 12P now and the same brand/style has fit me all along.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've been there. Currently my jeans are size 12-16. Yes I"m wearing all those different sizes at once. You might try different cuts. I know you're kind of on the line but you might try Lane Bryant or TJ Banks. Their cuts offer a little more room. It's extremely frustrating but try on tons of clothes till you find ones that make you feel awesome. Plus there is no better feeling than shopping at Lane Bryant and thinking, "This is cute. Don't you have it in a smaller size?"
  • arc8706
    Options
    I can't afford to buy new jeans every time I go down a size. At the moment, belts are my friend. lol. Also dresses.

But you could maybe have the Kohl's jeans taken in at the waist since they fit in the hips. I'm 5'3" so I know about all this "short" vs. "petite" BS and it stinks but I've never really found a solution to it. I just know the "petites" never work for me so I always need the "short". And my problem has never been a gap at the waist, lol. Mine are always tight at the waist and loose everywhere else. I'd honestly love that problem, it would mean I have some hips and a butt.
  • Jmercerq
    Jmercerq Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been there. Currently my jeans are size 12-16. Yes I"m wearing all those different sizes at once. You might try different cuts. I know you're kind of on the line but you might try Lane Bryant or TJ Banks. Their cuts offer a little more room. It's extremely frustrating but try on tons of clothes till you find ones that make you feel awesome. Plus there is no better feeling than shopping at Lane Bryant and thinking, "This is cute. Don't you have it in a smaller size?"

Sigh, I am so upset at Lane Bryant. The jeans that are the loosest are 16 "blue circle" from when they had all those different shapes. I went in to try their new styles and the next size down is way too tight everywhere and the next size up is 3-4 inches too big in the waist. I did buy a nice pair of pants as part of a suit and the size 18P fit and was just a smidge loose. I would not have bought it at all, but it was a special occasion and I needed to look sharp - and did.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I just bought some Target Mossimo jeans for like $25. They're 16 short and fit good and tight so I'll be able to wear for a long time. I got the curvy bootcut.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have to wear petite sizes too.
    I did not buy any new jeans until I was out of plus sizes. I wore a belt. I went from a tight 24WP to an 18P, before I purchased any new clothes.

I have found that the length in regular petite sizes is shorter than the plus sizes, which is a good thing for me as I have not had to shorten any of my jeans I have bought in the past year. I am 5-2 3/4 and have a 29 inch in seam. I do have to try on every pair I purchase, but have found that Lee and Levi are the brands I like the best. I am now able to wear size 8, so I have gone through a lot of sizes.

Kohls has a petite department that I have found really works for me for clothes, and they are always having sales at Kohls.
  • Jmercerq
    Jmercerq Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I checked out their size charts and there is virtually no gap between the two bands of petite jeans :). This might actually work.

[This is in reply to Laura6887's post

I wear Lee Rider Relaxed Fit. They fit comfortably over my hips without being too big at the waist. I buy them at Walmart for about $18. I was able to transition pretty easily from the 16WP to the 16P. My local Walmart doesn't carry the 16P, but I found them at a nearby K-Mart. I started in the 22WP and am in the 12P now and the same brand/style has fit me all along.]
  • Enygirl210
    Enygirl210 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel your pain as well! I, like others, am wearing a 14-20 (although the 20s are about to go too! Yay!) I highly suggest trying different brands and cuts. Also, I have very wide hips - even if I was skin and bones. Therefore, Petites will never, EVER fit me right. Ps are cut narrower through the hips and have a shorter rise.

Good luck finding the perfect pair, and continuing on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am in love with ana brand at JCPenney....The petite are actually petite!!! I am 5'2" standing straight with my nose in the air!!! I wear a 14P and I swear these are the best fitting jean I have bought. I got them when on sale and I think it averaged to about $20-25 bucks a pair. This weight loss journey of mine has been over three years. I have lost 106 pounds. I only buy a couple new thing for each season and just swap them around to form a wardrobe.....its not much but I honestly have put so much effort into losing weight and feeling/looking better that I refuse to walk around in too big or too tight or a style I dont like. Just my thought on the subject. Best of Luck to you :)
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I found real nice black denims in WALMART 16P on sale for only 3.00 !!!!!!!! It may have been an error in their computer maybe? I payed and ran to my car ! lol They fit perfectly :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    droopy drawers come from incorrect rise for your body shape, it's not all about size with jeans, it's also about shape.

if you have a short torso (like me)you'll be better off looking for jeans to be worn at your navel. the target mossimo mid rise jeans that someone noted above are good. i also really like Old navy's rockstar jeans and the flirt fits.

oh another thing to keep in mind is that pocket placement can have huge effect on how long and flat your butt will look. i found the lee's pockets to be horrendous and resulting in the dreaded ganny jeans look.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Also, try Torrid. They go from 12-20 something so you will fit right in, I also find their average is pretty short. Like 29.5 or 30. ( indeed 32) and many styles come in petite. They do have sales and good clearance. I really like the jeggings right now, I just wish they were longer. They hit me just above the ankle and are one of the few pairs of skinny jeans I have found that fit me at the calf/ankle.

I generally wear 16 at torrid, I have short torso, thick thighs and my measurements are about 33-34 waist, 44-45 hips. Some pants are cut really small and I need to go up 1-2 sizes.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm short and wear 16P jeans. I like the straight or skinny leg styles to wear with boots. The ones that fit me best are from Avenue. I've also ordered a couple of pair from Roaman's or Jessica London when I wanted whitewashed, white or a different color. I get my nicer slacks from Macy's.
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like JC Penney. They have a variety of cuts, sizes and styles, and their prices are good. Right now I'm between a 16 and a 14.

I do not have a history of shopping in thrift stores, but recently a friend introduced me to them. I needed some different shirts to wear to work after having shoulder surgery. We found a bunch of decent shirts that are fine for work, and they were cheap enough that I won't mind getting rid of them when I don't need them anymore. The thrift stores can be pretty amazing, with some nice clothes. Sometimes they even still have the original tags on. If you plan to keep losing, then you might try looking at some thrift stores. That way you can find a few things quickly and cheaply, and it won't matter so much if they're not perfect. Then when you go down another size, you can just go back again. Just make sure the ones you go to are the nicer ones and that they have dressing rooms, if you need to try on. I didn't try on the shirts, because they were all loose. But pants I would definitely need to try on.

Just something to keep in mind.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Sounds like we have very similar issues. Found these Lee jeans and they are the best fit ever!! Also, there is some stretch so if you buy a tiny bit snug and are willing to wear a little loose you can purchase every other size on the way down and still look nice and be comfortable along the way. If you have a Kohl's go try on a pair, they put them on sale with great discounts. Beyond denim they are also available in black, kakhi etc.

Oops, forgot the link...

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Womens-Natural-Piercen-Barely/dp/B00BHILQNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386467544&sr=8-1&keywords=lee+style+up+jeans
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ahhh i feel your pain. Im 5'5" and my waist is 35.25, & hips are 48. Have you tried old navy? I got their sweetheart brand in boot cut jeans. I ended up getting the 14 short- they're super tight but stretchy, they'll work fine with boots as skinny jeans. They were only $20 each on sale.

I refuse to spend a lot on casual clothing i'll only wear for a few months.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I have a couple of pairs of 14s that are now getting really baggy, but I don't fit 12s yet either. I've started to just accept that my clothes continuously are going to fit me weirdly for a while! When my family asked me my sizes for Christmas, I even told them a little smaller to aim for a month or two down the road.
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great thread! Thanks
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    How tall (or short) are you and what is your inseam length?

ETA: Try getting the ones that are slightly too big in regular length and soak them in hot water, wash them on hot, and then put them in the dryer on high heat, i.e. shrink them a bit ... I had to do this with somr skinny jeans /jeggings I bought, my my thights are large in proportion to my waist than average because I run a lot ... I'm a 1 in Levis based on my waist , but when I try to get the skinny jeans I have to up a size for my legs ... The waist ends up being about 2 inches bigger, but when I shrink them they fit (almost, they could be snugger, but they don't gap horribly or too noticeably) perfectly ...
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Take the bigger jeans to a tailor and have them taken in. It's much cheaper. I agree that the gap between sizing between misses and plus size is annoyingly huge.