Drinks w/meals

Options
Hi I was wondering what kind of healthy drinks I can have with my meals besides water. I Stopped drinking soda.

Thanks
Lisa

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Tea is good
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    - WATER!!!
    - Chilled green tea..
    - Juices - made fresh (the bottled ones have too much crap in them)

I drink Waterfords Diet Mineral Waters.... they are flavoured without being too sweet and are only 6 cals a cup!!!
  • jdj8223
    Options
    Ive been drinking Crystal Lite Sugar Free or the off brands of the powder mixes. I believe they are either 5 cal. or even some are 0 cal.
    Hi I was wondering what kind of healthy drinks I can have with my meals besides water. I Stopped drinking soda.

Thanks
    Lisa
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I like Crystal Lite packets to spice up water.It's a great sugar-free beverage wth only five calories per serving, and a serving is 8 fluid ounces. Most of the drinks also have no carbohydrates.Refreshment series: Crystal Light classic flavors
    Lemonade
    Cranberry Apple
    Fruit Punch
    Natural Lemonade
    Pineapple Orange
    Pink Lemonade
    Raspberry Ice
    Raspberry Lemonade
    Strawberry Kiwi
    Strawberry Orange Banana
    White Grape
    Natural Cherry Pomegranate
    Sunrise series: Crystal Light with extra vitamin C
    Classic Orange
    Ruby Red Grapefruit
    Tangerine Strawberry
    Tea series: Crystal Light tea varieties
    Green Tea, Honey Lemon
    Green Tea, Raspberry
    Iced Tea
    Lemon Iced Tea
    Natural Mandarin Red Tea
    Raspberry Tea
    Peach Tea
    White Tea Blueberry
    Dragon Fruit Mango White Tea
    Enhancement series: Crystal Light with added vitamins and minerals
    Energy: Wild Strawberry
    Focus: Citrus Splash
    Hunger Satisfaction: Strawberry Banana
    Immunity: Natural Cherry Pomegranate
    Metabolism Plus: Green Tea Peach Mango
    Live-Active series: Crystal Light with Fiber (from inulin)
    Mixed Berry
    Raspberry Peach
    Hydration series: Crystal Light that lightly flavors water rather than make a soft drink
    Lightly Lemon
    Natural Berry Splash
    Skin Essentials series: Crystal Light with specific antioxidants to benefit skin
    White Peach Tea
    Pomegranate Lemonade
    Fortified: Crystal Light pre-mixed in a 16oz bottle of water
    Berry Pomegranate (Energy)
    Pink Lemonade (Hydration)
    Wild Strawberry (Energy)
    Pure Fitness (sweetened with Truvia)
    Lemon Lime
    Strawberry Kiwi
    Grape

The choice is yours. :drinker:
  • DeepSeaDoc_Wife
    DeepSeaDoc_Wife Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It is recommended not to drink with meals. Well according to my college nutrition book. It is recommended to drink 30 minutes before and after. So while you are enjoying your healthy meal your body will absorb all those nutrients you are putting in your body instead of washing it down with water or whatever you are drinking with a meal.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    It is recommended not to drink with meals. Well according to my college nutrition book. It is recommended to drink 30 minutes before and after. So while you are enjoying your healthy meal your body will absorb all those nutrients you are putting in your body instead of washing it down with water or whatever you are drinking with a meal.

wow... there is no way on gods green earth that I could manage that. NO WAY. That's like not drinking anything for an hour and a half (including the time it should take you to eat a meal) and having food. Has this been tested in a real world scenario? Not just the ideal text book scenario? I can kill 32oz of water or more at one meal... And if so what are the differences in nutrional absoption? And how does this or will this affect weight loss?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

wow... there is no way on gods green earth that I could manage that. NO WAY. That's like not drinking anything for an hour and a half (including the time it should take you to eat a meal) and having food. Has this been tested in a real world scenario? Not just the ideal text book scenario? I can kill 32oz of water or more at one meal... And if so what are the differences in nutrional absoption? And how does this or will this affect weight loss?

I rarely drink while eating meals and don't have any problem with it. Of course, being distracted by feeding a baby and coercing a toddler to eat helps a lot. And sipping on water all day long helps too since I don't give myself the chance to get really thirsty.
  • ilse72
    ilse72 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't drink with meals or for half an hour after. I do not lke water, tea or coffee. I do not drink juice due to the high carb count. I avoid caffeine due to migraines. I also don't drink soda as even diet soda has been shown in studies ot increase feelings of hunger. My beverage of choice is Ron and Frank's Caffeine-Free Diet French Vanilla Cappuccino. It doesn't have a coffee taste; it has a taste all it's own and I love it. I also drink Nashua Nutriton's Hot Chocolate.

Cappuccino is 20 calories, 3 gm carbs and 1 gm protein.
    Chocolate is 80 calories, 4 gm carbs and 15 gm protein.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options

I rarely drink while eating meals and don't have any problem with it. Of course, being distracted by feeding a baby and coercing a toddler to eat helps a lot. And sipping on water all day long helps too since I don't give myself the chance to get really thirsty.

Totally get that- I know plenty of people that don't drink while they eat but what she's saying is recommended is that you drink 30 minutes before your meal and then not again until 30 minutes after the meal... It's not that I'm not drinking enough- I drink 3-6 32oz Nalgene bottles of water a day (I should in theory float away) but I couldn't imagine particularly during and after not drinking something. And that's just my personal preference. The thing is the majority of the nutrients are absorbed in your small intestines & drinking water doesn't necessarily increase the speed of your digestion as it also gets absorbed for the most part in the small intestine and will aid in moving wate soluble nutients. I guess I'm not sure I get why drinking water is going to negatively affect your nutrient absorption rate. I'm curious the answer- I'd like to know the science behind it. (Because I'm that kind of nerd and can't find anything online about it.)
  • ilse72
    ilse72 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The basis for not drinking with your meals or for a half hour after is that water helps to flush the food from the stomach into the intestines faster - making you feel hunger sooner. I do drink up until I eat though so I am not going overly long without fluids. It works for me. I am maintaining and have been at goal for almost 2 years so I am hesitant to change anything I do. :)
  • paul100
    Options
    fruit juice, fruit smoothies, milk ... and water.