please help me !! I'm a frustrated dietitian

Options
2»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to touch the calorie debate but that menu looks seriously repetitive and dull. I don't know how anyone could eat that for 6 weeks and work out 3 hours a day without burning out an about day 4 and deciding weight loss isn't worth it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There is SO much misinformation out there, that you are swimming upstream when you try to talk sense. People want the ONE magic thing that will MAKE them lose weight. Eating sensibly and working out? BORING! Instant gratification is a huge problem in this day and age IMO.

I liked the idea of explaining to them the importance of sparing LBM. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks a dietician who calculates that someone should be eating 2000 calories to lose weight, then tells them to eat 1400 because she's "scared" to challenge the client's ideas is a bad dietician?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks a dietician who calculates that someone should be eating 2000 calories to lose weight, then tells them to eat 1400 because she's "scared" to challenge the client's ideas is a bad dietician?
    No just a dietitian lacking in confidence in their abilities. Though I do agree that the menu looks dull and most people would dump it after a few days
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    No just a dietitian lacking in confidence in their abilities. Though I do agree that the menu looks dull and most people would dump it after a few days

No way I would eat that menu for 6 weeks!!! Asking someone to change their habits overnight probably won't work. Take one step at a time to build someone confidence.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Agreed I would dump that meal plan on day 2...... OP this is tough love, but you went to school and should know the how too... and I think you need to implement your plan and stand your ground, if they are seeing results at the pace you deem fit than tell the gym they can either let you do your job or find someone else....... A little tough love and accountability on your clients behalf also needs to be set up... Realistic expectations and a solid plan is what they need and someone to implement it and stand by it... Is that you??? Best of Luck
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    give them 3 numbers and insist that they meet those numbers every day.

1) calorie goal
    2) protein goal
    3) fats goal

then tell them you don't care what foods they eat to meet those numbers. it's up to them.

they'll learn quickly that their fad diets are bull*bleep* because they will have trouble hitting those numbers with restrictive diets.

then tell them if they are having problems meeting those numbers, you'll happily help tailor a meal plan for them - BUT ONLY IF THE WILL TRUST YOU AND FOLLOW IT for a predetermined amount of time.

if they choose to ignore your advice, don't feel bad. they are not yet ready to embrace the truth. let them struggle for a couple more years because of their pride and stubbornness. use this as a learning experience to figure out what works and what doesn't when dealing with difficult clients.

you could also find and print out materials on IIFYM (if it fits your macros) in your native language and pass them out for them to read. perhaps you can make each of them a binder and continue to print out real scientific articles and summaries explaining the falsehoods in various fad diets and the necessity of of getting proper amounts of macro- and micro-nutrients.

just remember, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. (an English language idiom).
  • drshona
    drshona Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Lots of good points so far - they're expecting results too quickly, but also if they're expected to eat the same things every day it's pretty boring (although you did say they could 'exchange' things)

One further thought, is that 6 weeks just isn't enough time. If they're obese, they've at least 3 stone to lose at a rough guess. Possibly much more. So, in 6 weeks, they just aren't going to lose enough weight to really feel like they're getting anywhere.

What about fortnightly meetings, so it covers 12 weeks? Or weekly for 4 weeks, then fortnightly for 4 weeks, then monthly for 2 months, so in 8 sessions you're covering 4 months?
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    They've got unrealistic expectations if they think 2-4 lbs./week is too slow. Probably been watching too much of The Biggest Loser.

If I were you, I'd tell them to eat the 2000 calories I prescribed or piss off.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I know ! I regret agreeing to the job with all my heart
    they show up very late ... or they dont show up without telling me (wasting my time) and im being paid next to nothing for all the effort I do to them

Are you an employee or are you self employed?

It sounds like you are self employed from you description above. If this is the case, you need to make some changes in your daily work habits. For instance, confirm all appointments 24 hours in advance via phone, text or email (whichever the client is most likely to respond to). You should also take a deposit or have the client pay for their consultation in advance. You have reserved time for that person, meaning your time is not available to see anyone else at that time. If he/she stands you up, they still need to pay you for your time.

If you are an employee and earn a salary, being stood up wouldn't effect your income. I hope things get better and you find clients who are interested in the advice you have to offer.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with everything Ms. Paris said above.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    She said her gym asked her to take this on part time for six weeks during their little boot camp. I imagine the dieters paid the gym and the gym is paying her a pittance.

Quit. Or chalk it up to lesson learned after the six weeks. The gym doesn't sound very reputable if they're working obese people out for 3 hours a day and hitting up some reluctant gym member for cheap diet advice.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

i have a group of ladies who follow my diet "without the carbs"

Smart ladies
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Don't give up your other job.