Big legs is the aim

Options
What's your training for leg day look like?
Also any one else have my problem... Have small very small wrist and ankles And on top of that I have short calfs with short calf muscles and a long tendon insertion so in turn this makes them smaller and higher.

So is there any hope for me lol

Replies

• Catman50
    Catman50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mine is something like this as a base.

Squats 5 set x 10 reps

Leg press 5 set x 10 reps

Leg extensions 5 set x 10 reps

Hamstring curls 5 set x 10 reps

Calve raises 5 set x 10 reps

Reps may go up or down a little but as long as I am spent at the end of it its all good in my opinion.
  • fppalmer
    fppalmer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Catman's leg workout is a pretty standard protocol, hits the main parts, great base leg workout. I might add "deadlifts" or at least Romanian DL (straight leg DL), best would be glute / ham, or ultra deep squats / leg presses, essentially I would add an additional hamstring exercise or two to Catman's leg workout, as stated it has 3 great "front leg" mass builders, and only one hamstring isolation exercise. The squat does get both, but hits hips and thighs more than hams.

I also like to add a second day of more bodyweight / explossive / mobility stuff, e.g. ad/abductors (inside outside of the thighs), box jumps (explosive, burns lots of calories) lunges, side steps with bands, etc..

1989lukemyers, not sure small ankles long calf tendons is a "problem". :) If you work those calfs well, you should have nice balloons with "pretty" muscle bellies that taper nicely/ sharply into your ankles. Much easier to get to a point where you can SEE the split in the calf with high calfs.

Calfs = Gastrocnemius and the soleus. (my spelling might be off, you can google them :) ) The gastro is the larger one, sits up higher on the leg, and gives that "split" or heart shape. The Soleus is smaller, starts lower on the leg (closer to ankle) and runs up underneath the Gatro. Most calf excessive hit both. Straight leg exercises (calf press, standing calf raise, etc.) tend to hit the Gastro more. BENT LEG CALF workouts hit the soleus more (e.g. seated calf raise). You could try emphasizing the soleus more, it will help push out the gastro, making it look bigger, and, since soleus is a little lower on your leg, could make your calfs look like they take up more room / sort of make your calfs look a little "longer".

good luck!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Leg day? Squats. Lots of heavy squats. And variations of all deadlifts, and more squats, lunges, step ups and good mornings.

My legs are my best assets, so I guess doing this for that past few years has worked :wink:
  • Catman50
    Catman50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I hear what ya saying fppalmer.

I suffer from some lower back problems & this was my main reason for starting the gym in the 1st place. Im just coming to the end of my 2nd month in the gym & I think id like to start trying some deadlifts and see what effect it has on my back & how I get on with them. I suppose I need to start with low weight and just build it up to see what effect it has on the problem area. Maybe try some of those other exercises you mentions too as I did start doing legs twice a week from a couple of weeks ago.

Hamstring exercises? Ok you got me .. I was even complaining to the gym owner on my last leg day that the machine I hate the most in the gym is the hamstring leg curl one. I don't know if I did it more to the start of my workouts if id enjoy it more?

As far as other hamstring exercises? Im not sure what else I could do ?
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Catman you would be surprised what deadlifts can do to your back, i use to have a lower back twinge, every now and again my lower back would be painfull for bend fors days, since I started deadlifting 6 months ago I havent had any problems with it as long as you use the correct form.

My leg day is a followed

Squat 5x5
    Stiff deadlift 5x10
    Leg press 5x10
    Calf press 5x10

With the leg press I sometimes vary position of the feet on the foot plate, this can change the major muscle work from hams to quad or from quad to ham etc.

Stiff deadlifts are great for working calf and hamstring but this is a dangerous lift if done incorrectly.
  • 1989lukemyers
    1989lukemyers Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one some great info :)