How much did you lose just running on the treadmill?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm 18, 5'3 tall and weigh 147lb. I recently got a treadmill so I wanted some tips on how many days a week I should work out/how long each workout should be etc to lose 20lb by May 2014 What worked for you? And what kind of strength training should I incorporate into my workout/how many days a week etc (by the way I don't have weights). Also, should I calorie count and should I eat 5 small meals a day etc. I know some people post some awesome guides on here, could some of you link some that you think would help. Also if you know any reliable accurate calorie calculators that would be great. Thanks, appreciate all answers!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose anything running on the treadmill but I did lose by eating at a deficit. Don't count on exercise for weight loss.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose anything running on the treadmill but I did lose by eating at a deficit. Don't count on exercise for weight loss.

This is true but I use the treadmill (4.0 speed at a 8.5 - 105 incline depending on how I feel) and although I doubt I LOST I certainly toned us and look better so do what you can but it is your food intake that will make the difference with your weight loss. Friend me if I can help.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ^ in general i'd agree with that, but at 18 i didnt need to worry about calories or anything to lose weight i just needed to do be a bit more active.

to answer the OPs question, there was a summer between freshman and sophomore year (i was 18 too) where i lost a good amount of weight just by adding a daily run in the morning for 45-60 minutes. i cant remember the exact scale weight (i do know that i started out 5'5 155 pounds because my freshman 15 was more like freshman 20 :laugh: ) but i do remember i started at a size 8 at the start of the summer and my mom's size 4 jeans were a bit loose. and like i said i was still eating the same amount of food.

ahhh i miss being 18 :laugh:
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    The exercise is a good habit, but I agree that the deficit is what's the important part. That being said, because you don't have a ton to lose, the weight may come off a bit slower. While you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories according to the MFP system, be aware that machines will often overestimate the number of calories you are burning so you may want to only eat a portion unless you're using a heart rate monitor.

Do a search for in place of a road map for a guide on the TDEE method, which you may hear a lot about. If you have a fairly consistent routine, it can be a way to have more consistency. Working out 5-6 days a week, but if you need to work up to that, by all means, find what works for you so you can stick with it. It may not be a bad idea to pick up a set of handweights (a couple 3 pound weights and maybe two 5lb weights), but you can do body weight exercises too that will give you some strength, i.e., push ups, lunges, squats, situps/crunches, plank. I really like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred for strength, but it does require the hand weights. Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The only thing I lost running on my treadmill was my mind.

I can run six miles on a trail w/ no problem at all...but after a half mile on the treadmill, I start thinking up creative ways to end it all.

However, the "secret" to losing weight is your diet, not your exercise. Eat for weight loss, exercise for health.

And while I don't run on my treadmill much at all, I do use it for a brisk walk as part of my lifting warmup.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree with all replies here. I've also heard that weight loss happens in the kitchen; maintenance happens in the gym. Meaning, focus on your eating to lose the weight, but start exercising because you will need to commit to exercise to maintain your loss.

Look, you have a treadmill, so you should use it. Why not? How about you start with 30 minutes of walking at 4.0 mph. That's 2 miles. Try doing that every day. It's not that bad. You can do 30 minutes. Then increase time and/or speed. Try throwing in 1 or 2 minutes of jogging during the walking.

But yeah -- I have to say that your diet will help you more than the treadmill. If you burn 200 calories walking 2 miles, that takes you 30 minutes to do. And how long does it take toe at 200 calorie? Maybe 30 seconds? Or less?

One final thought: I used to really go nuts on the treadmill. I used to run 8-10 miles on the treadmill. I know, crazy. It definitely boosted my weight loos -- particularly the last ten pounds which were so stubborn. BUT -- I. Was. Starving. Running 8-10 miles makes you crazy hungry. So I'd burn 800-1000 calories running; and then, at night, I'd go out of my mind with hunger and eat back the 800-1000 calories PLUS more. In the end, it would have been better for me to do some moderate walking and stick to my calorie budget than to run like a maniac, wind up starving, and outeat everything I had just sweated off on the treadmill.

One final thought part two: You're sooooo young. You'll be fine.
  • keltoi93
    keltoi93 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You should be able to lose 20lbs by May from just dieting alone, heck you could do it by late january/february from just calorie counting.

I usually start my workout by a 30 minute treadmill run + 5 minute cooldown. Im 189lbs 20 y/o Male and I usually burn around 500 calories doing a 5km run. I start with a minute warm up then I run 1.5k with the speed set to 11 km/h, run another 1k on 10km/h, 1k on 9km/h and then the final 1k on 10km/h. Theres .5k missing there but I account for that by lowering the speed to ~6km/h when I get really out of breath.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens from how you eat. Yes, exercise can help...but it wont do it alone. That said...exercise is good for you, so do it. Cardio is good for your heart and lungs, lifting heavy is good for your muscles...which impacts how you look.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    well I never ran, but the majority of my cardio was WALKING on the treadmill :)

Of course this process is majority what you put in your mouth :)
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    34yr , 5'7 was 215/lbs 9 months ago. Now 145/lbs. Nothing but running on my treadmill and running on the street and my towns school track. Average mileage daily is currently 4-8 miles.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm 18, 5'3 tall and weigh 147lb. I recently got a treadmill so I wanted some tips on how many days a week I should work out/how long each workout should be etc to lose 20lb by May 2014 What worked for you? And what kind of strength training should I incorporate into my workout/how many days a week etc (by the way I don't have weights). Also, should I calorie count and should I eat 5 small meals a day etc. I know some people post some awesome guides on here, could some of you link some that you think would help. Also if you know any reliable accurate calorie calculators that would be great. Thanks, appreciate all answers!

I run 40 -45 minutes (3.5-4 miles) three times a week, but I lost zero running on the treadmill.

However, when I ate at a calorie deficit, I lost 32 pounds and have one pound to my goal.

Weight loss begins in the kitchen, but exercise is an added plus.

Cut your calories first and then exercise, but be sure to eat back those exercise calories if you choose to use the MFP method to calculate calories.

About losing 20 pounds by May 2014- that's comes out to approximately 1 pound per week. That might be a bit aggressive given you have such a small amount to lose. I would suggest taking a less aggressive approach and setting your goals to lose about .5 pounds per week instead. There is no hurry to lose you weight quickly, and the slower you lose it the better chance you have of keeping the weight off.
  • tjmahoney
    tjmahoney Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree that just running on a treadmill is not the key to weight loss by itself. The amount of calorie burn will not make a big difference on a daily basis. If you want to lose weight, taking in less calories than you burn will lead to weight loss but that's just a piece of it. 3500 calories = 1 lb, meaning if you have a weekly calorie deficit of 3500 calories (so 500 a day), theoretically you should lose a pound a week. But your body won't give it up without a fight and it will try to compensate. First, push the water 8-10 glasses a day so your body doesn't hold onto water. You'll drop some pounds in the first week. You don't want to lose lean muscle, just fat so be sure your protein intake, especially after exercise, is adequate for your body. Carbs are the body's preferred fuel but again, make sure your diet is a balance of carbs, protein & fat. Don't avoid fats altogether; you need them for some nutrient absorption but just not a lot. Body Fat is burned by the liver so if you drink alcohol, then the liver will first preferentially de-toxify the toxin (alcohol) and it will spare the fat, which you don't want so avoid alcohol. Also, as folks have said, plan on a slow & steady loss, if you want it to be permanent.

Now, for the treadmill. I am a big fan of running and I run for 40-60 minutes 4-5x/week, usually on a treadmill so I applaud you for that. Read up on interval running; it'll burn fat long after your run is done. Find your target heart rate (220-age for men, 226-age for women); you want to get your heart rate about 50-65% of your target heart rate and keep it there to burn fat (one of the benefits of interval running). If you're female, 208 is your target heart rate so you want to walk/powerwalk/run, then repeat to keep heart rate between 105-135. Check this video: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/09/13/interval-cardio-on-treadmill-for-fat-loss.aspx.

Again, weight loss is just a piece of fitness. When you lose weight, you become a 'smaller' version of the shape you are now. Exercise is the key to the shape you want to have. Kudos to you for thinking about this at age 18; it will lead to a longer and healthier life. Don't give it up after you reach your weight loss goal. Life is balance.