How is it possible?

beylover
beylover Posts: 39
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been diagnose with PCOS therefore, have been ask by my Doctor to reduce my amount of my carb intake to 40g - 50g per day with a maximum of 10g per meal. I have been trying so hard and i kind of thinking that will be almost impossible. The minimum i have managed so far is 80g and maximum is 200g. Will i ever be able to consume only 40g of carb? maybe i might as well go on water diet to achieve it (of course i will never do it).
Any recommendation will be great full.

Replies

• On most of the popular low carb diets, most meats and related protein foods are acceptable. These are some exceptions:

* Be careful to avoid breaded meats (including “breaded from within” dishes like meatloaf) and meats served with high carb sauces.
    * Atkins points out that mussels and oysters have carbs, so be sure to count them.
    * Some organ meats contain carbohydrates. Atkins recommends limiting organ meats to 4 oz. per day. One ounce of raw beef liver has about 1 gram of carbohydrate - one ounce cooked has 1.4 grams.
    * Be aware that hams and luncheon meats often have added sugars - check the labels or have the deli worker do it.
    * Limit consumptions of processed meats, especially with nitrites (hot dogs, bacon, etc).
    * On diets which limit saturated fat (e.g. South Beach, Zone), the fattier cuts, such as the dark meat of poultry, are to be avoided. Cuts of meat low in saturated fat
    * Some plans, such as the Zone, limit egg yolks.
    * Half a cup of tofu has 10 grams of protein and 1 gram of effective carbohydrate (with 1 gram of fiber)
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    I have been diagnose with PCOS therefore, have been ask by my Doctor to reduce my amount of my carb intake to 40g - 50g per day with a maximum of 10g per meal. I have been trying so hard and i kind of thinking that will be almost impossible. The minimum i have managed so far is 80g and maximum is 200g. Will i ever be able to consume only 40g of carb? maybe i might as well go on water diet to achieve it (of course i will never do it).
    Any recommendation will be great full.

I know a lot of people who live very successfully on low carb diets - they consume a lot of very low carb veggies with their proteins. It really takes A LOT of planning. I tried and was successful short term but I managed to stay below 20g per day. Did your doctor give you any suggestions as to what to eat or recommend seeing a dietitian/nutritionist or are you supposed to wing it on your own?

Edited to add: If you want low carb recipe ideas try this site: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    I know what you mean, I am limited to 210 Carbs total daily as well. I find chicken is my main meat to eat now which helps.
  • I have been fighting with PCOS for many years now and I think that I am finally on the right track. It's hard but it can be done. Because PCOS usually runs hand and hand with insulin resistance, I was also diagnosed with NASH, (a genetic liver disease) so I have to take into account that even though it might be good for the PCOS, is it also easily processed by my liver? So what works for me might not work for you but I am sure you will get it figured out. Just remember, it is possible with the right mindset.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Sorry you have that condition! Just googled PCOS....is it reversable?.... It says losing weight will help the issue....May if not treated could get diabetis....I'M diabetic and can say its the best thing to ever happen to me! Taught me a healthy lifestyle,exercise,& positive thinking!
    Remember alot of times we go through trials,adversity,& challenges to help us learn...MAY I make a suggestion?? Learn all you can about PCOS,its effects,causes,& ways to improve your health! Same with food,eating,diet,& exercise! Learn,Learn, & Learn...never stop studing and learning.
    Keep up the positive thinking, wishing and praying for you!:wink: There is a silver lining in this somewhere....:smile:
This discussion has been closed.