Achievable in 6 months?

Options
So I started MFP not long now maybe a few days.
Started gym on Monday (first time weighing at 180lbs)
I attend 5 days a week, mon-fri for 2 hours.
I eat 1400-1600 cals max.
I am trying to achieve a goal weight of 140-160lbs in 6 months.
First of all I was told by my friend, who used to fat but now is thin and lean, that he did all this and became how he is in a year.
I thought it was to long so I asked how much will I loose in 6 months, he could say or explain through words how much I'd actually lose but all he said was a lot.

So I was looking for an answer, is It achievable? Can I do it in this time? How much will I actually lose? Am I doing it the right way and the healthy way? Can I do it? Will I loose more? If not how can I achieve this goal?

Pls help, thanks.

BMI 29.8
BMR 1894
TDEE 2604

Goal: 140-160 lbs (main 140), Lean

Replies

• SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would lower your expectations a bit and maybe aim for about 24lbs in 6 months, you'd be losing 1lbs a week in that scenario. Not many people manage to lose 50-70lbs in a space of 6 months, you'd have to lose over 10lbs per month, which is a pretty unrealistic goal.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've done similar in the past, probably with a bigger deficit at the start, but also lots of not so great days.
    If you manage to stick at it; 210lb - 160lb, say, is a 50lb loss.
    So that's 8.33lb per month on average.
    The recommended maximum weight loss is 2lb per week, so that's about right.

Of course thing might not go so well, but you may well also find you lose a lot in your first week from water/food weight.
    After eating quite badly for a while I just got back 'on it' and lost maybe 6-8lb in the first few days!

From having tried various ways, I would be eating lots of protein (regardless of weights or not) - doing a weight lifting program like starting strength - and looking after your macro nutrient levels.
    I am currently following a 'lean gains' style approach, but that's unlikely to get so quick weight loss results, thanks to eating over TDEE (or more, at least) on workout days.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Took me a year to lose 45 lbs, but then I didn't have as much to lose. Serious question though: what's the hurry? If you stick to a moderate deficit (15 or 20% below TDEE), you'll probably feel better, be able to train stronger, and more importantly will retain more lean body mass (muscle) and be less likely to have loose skin to deal with when you reach your goal.
  • rceleste40
    rceleste40 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds in six months. My starting weight was just about yours too. I exercised everyday. I did Jillian Michaels Shred and then her 90 day Body Revolution. I also got a FitBit and tried to get 10,000 steps in daily. I am doing Weight Watchers because I like the accountability of being weighed weekly and there are a group of us going. I would recommend you taking your measurements too because that really helped me keep going when the scale didn't budge.
  • DominikBigD
    Options
    My weight is now 217 lbs. I was 278 lbs in May 2013, and I lost a bit of weight during the summer from not being on campus. I started my weight loss at 265 lbs on August 23, 2013. As of today, I'm 217 lbs. I was able to manage, with great success, to lose an average of 3.1 lbs per week, a total of 47 lbs lost so far, and I have 27 to go (goal weight is 190, then lifting and putting on muscle). I swim 3x a week for 30-40 minutes doing laps, and just a week ago began doing 1-2x a week of 15-25 minutes of cardio on a bike in the gym. You can definitely lose 50 lbs in 6 months, but it will require really sticking to your nutritional goals, and exercise.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    There is only one way to find out.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    Took me a year to lose 45 lbs, but then I didn't have as much to lose. Serious question though: what's the hurry? If you stick to a moderate deficit (15 or 20% below TDEE), you'll probably feel better, be able to train stronger, and more importantly will retain more lean body mass (muscle) and be less likely to have loose skin to deal with when you reach your goal.

Minor mistake I'm 180lb trying to achieve 140 lbs, the hurry is...(I know it sounds stupid but)...proms coming and I wanna look my best for my self mainly but yeah o.o, sad i know.

Plus I want to get lean
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    Yes. It is possible. But it all depends on your commitment and persistence. I know one of my friend did it.
    But you need to change your life style and get some assist. Revolution and resolution.Hope you find your fit in new year.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you want to look your best, focus less on the scale number and get kicking *kitten* with some resistance training - couple it with a deficit and you will look better than if you diet toooooo hard.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds in six months. My starting weight was just about yours too. I exercised everyday. I did Jillian Michaels Shred and then her 90 day Body Revolution. I also got a FitBit and tried to get 10,000 steps in daily. I am doing Weight Watchers because I like the accountability of being weighed weekly and there are a group of us going. I would recommend you taking your measurements too because that really helped me keep going when the scale didn't budge.

Thank you, there is still hope for me yet
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    I've done similar in the past, probably with a bigger deficit at the start, but also lots of not so great days.
    If you manage to stick at it; 210lb - 160lb, say, is a 50lb loss.
    So that's 8.33lb per month on average.
    The recommended maximum weight loss is 2lb per week, so that's about right.

Of course thing might not go so well, but you may well also find you lose a lot in your first week from water/food weight.
    After eating quite badly for a while I just got back 'on it' and lost maybe 6-8lb in the first few days!

From having tried various ways, I would be eating lots of protein (regardless of weights or not) - doing a weight lifting program like starting strength - and looking after your macro nutrient levels.
    I am currently following a 'lean gains' style approach, but that's unlikely to get so quick weight loss results, thanks to eating over TDEE (or more, at least) on workout days.

Sorry minor ( or big ) mistake I way 180 lbs, trying to become 140lbs , trying to become lean. Will it still be achievable, someone said they lost 50 lbs ( or around ) in 6 months, would it be possible for me
  • kellylynnkellyjoe
    Options
    You can do WHATEVER you put your mind to! Just stay focused on your end goal. Do your workouts even when you're tired, feeling ****ty, whatever... Stick to your food log to ensure you're not over eating even when there's a Christmas party or dinner out with friends. Again, you can do whatever you put your mind to.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    If you want to look your best, focus less on the scale number and get kicking *kitten* with some resistance training - couple it with a deficit and you will look better than if you diet toooooo hard.

If I did resistance training in gym, what workouts or machines would it require, plus would 2 hours be enough if I only eat between 1600-1400 cals?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 50 pounds. I personally suggest taking it slower as you will more likely learn how to manage your weight for the long term.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Two hours a WEEK or two hours a DAY?

And I'd skip the machines and hit the free weights instead.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

If I did resistance training in gym, what workouts or machines would it require, plus would 2 hours be enough if I only eat between 1600-1400 cals?
    You're a guy right? 1600 cals at your age isn't really enough to be honest. You're in your prime for getting fit and building some muscle, so just take about a 500 calorie deficit from your maintenance (otherwise known as TDEE) and get on a lifting programme from bodybuilding.com or Layne Norton's PHAT or something.
  • cmeiron
    Options

Minor mistake I'm 180lb trying to achieve 140 lbs, the hurry is...(I know it sounds stupid but)...proms coming and I wanna look my best for my self mainly but yeah o.o, sad i know.

Plus I want to get lean

You CAN get lean without a) starving yourself, b) killing yourself in the gym or c) dropping a ton of weight. Check my pictures; there's a before and after there with only a 12 lb weight loss and a HUGE difference in size and leanness.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    IMHO, a 1000 calorie deficit WHILE training 2hrs/day 5days/week is a recipe for failure, esp for a 18 yo male. TDEE - 40% is too drastic.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    Yes. It is possible. But it all depends on your commitment and persistence. I know one of my friend did it.
    But you need to change your life style and get some assist. Revolution and resolution.Hope you find your fit in new year.

Yay some hope, and yeah, one of my friends lost a lot and became lean in a year, after being bigger than me, he said I would lose a lot, now he's going back to get his "summer bod" (summer body) and he said he would help and motivate me so yay.

Thanks I feel more assured I can do it.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs in 4 months. If you are wanting to lose 20lbs in 6 months--I think it is very possible.