Home gyms

Options
I've been using mfp for over a year, this, plus lots of cardio dropped me four sizes. Now, I want muscle definition that I'm not getting with my current exercise plan. Anyone recommend any home gyms that won't break the bank? I can't afford the $1000+ ones at the local fitness store.

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Invest in a decent bench, barbell, dumbbells and plates and work from there adding pieces as you need/want
  • fppalmer
    fppalmer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I"m not a big fan of home gyms with lots of plates or stations, I like basics as previous poster mentioned.

What facilities do you have to work with?

1) ****s sporting goods has an entry level decent squat cage for $400. Really good used ones can be had on craigslist maybe once every 3 months for $600.
    1A) squats in the squat cage
    1B) safety bench
    1C) pullups
    1D) hang your suspension trainer .....
    1c) lieing pull ups
    1E) get a bench too,
    1F) some weights

Squat cage is THE single best thing you can have for a home gym. at $400 starting price, its a bargain.

2) ya. Suspension trainer. TRX, Jungle Gym XT, etc. best thing ever for $150 for a home gym. If no squat rack, get a chin up bar and a suspension trainer. You can build some serious muscle with a Suspension trainer. Depending on the angles you use, you can really go from light to heavy with these.

3) Big rubber bands, e.g. elite fitness or rogue fitness. At least one, to hang from your chin up bar, to help pull you up if you can't yet do chin ups. No matter how weak you are, with bands, you should be doing chin ups.

4) "fitness ball" , 50 to 60cm can get them at walmart, etc.. I got 4 for $9 each at ROSS, but you can find them for $25. Great for a lot of excersises.

5) ONE kettlebell, depends on strength, maybe $75.

Perhaps start with a chin bar, yoga mat, fitness ball, suspension trainer, big rubber band, kettle bell, and two dumbells. That should be a huge fitness start, for not much $$.

Good luck.
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What kinds of resistance exercise do you like to do? Once you know the answer to that, your home gym should have the kinds of equipment you need to do those exercises.

Maybe you want a Bowflex. Maybe you want just free weights. Maybe you want free weights plus a squat bar.

What kind of a workout do you want to do at home?
  • NaturallyCrowned
    Options
    Have you ever thought of trying T25. It really focuses on building different muscle groups using your own body weight.
  • cwatts0
    cwatts0 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I bought a cage, about 300 lbs in Olympic weights, barbell, and adjustable bench when I first stared out. It was way less than $1000 and its amazing how many exercises you can do including all the big compound ones. I think its a great starting point for any home gym.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I got this rack/bench combo from Amazon plus a 300-pound Oly weight set from Sears for a total of $300, and didn't have to go to Craigslist posters' houses to do it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Golds-Gym-XRS-Olympic-Bench/dp/B009PA1KJG

I'd rather have a cage and might build one someday, but for the price I paid I'm happy. My 20-something son gets good use out of it too.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Or you can do body weight exercises with little to no equipment but a pull up bar to start.