Achievable in 6 months?

Options

Replies

• NazKBaz101
    Options
    If you want to look your best, focus less on the scale number and get kicking *kitten* with some resistance training - couple it with a deficit and you will look better than if you diet toooooo hard.

If I did resistance training in gym, what workouts or machines would it require, plus would 2 hours be enough if I only eat between 1600-1400 cals?
    You're a guy right? 1600 cals at your age isn't really enough to be honest. You're in your prime for getting fit and building some muscle, so just take about a 500 calorie deficit from your maintenance (otherwise known as TDEE) and get on a lifting programme from bodybuilding.com or Layne Norton's PHAT or something.

Heh I don't exactly want to become a body builder, more wanting to be lean.
    So ur saying I should take 2100 cals? Burn 500?
    Also I'm wanting to lose 2lbs a week how can I?
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs in 4 months. If you are wanting to lose 20lbs in 6 months--I think it is very possible.

If I go gym and was wanting to lose 20-40lbs, 2lbs a week that's around 5-6 months, but is 1600 cals enough? Cus I'd be burning 1000 a day meaning 600 left for me to keep, is it enough how did u do it ?
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You keep saying you want to be lean, but I'm assuming you don't mean "scrawny". Stick with a deficit of 500. Lift heavy weights 3 or 4 times a week. Eat lots of protein and adequate fats. Quit worrying about the number on the scale and focus on reshaping your body instead.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options

Minor mistake I'm 180lb trying to achieve 140 lbs, the hurry is...(I know it sounds stupid but)...proms coming and I wanna look my best for my self mainly but yeah o.o, sad i know.

Plus I want to get lean

You CAN get lean without a) starving yourself, b) killing yourself in the gym or c) dropping a ton of weight. Check my pictures; there's a before and after there with only a 12 lb weight loss and a HUGE difference in size and leanness.

Okay firstly, 2000 cals a day? Burn 1000cals? Doing more 60% of 2 hours on weightloss machines then muscle gain? Is this good enough :)?
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    You keep saying you want to be lean, but I'm assuming you don't mean "scrawny". Stick with a deficit of 500. Lift heavy weights 3 or 4 times a week. Eat lots of protein and adequate fats. Quit worrying about the number on the scale and focus on reshaping your body instead.

If I go gym and was wanting to lose 20-40lbs, 2lbs a week that's around 5-6 months, but is 1600 cals enough? Cus I'd be burning 1000 a day meaning 600 left for me to keep, is it enough how did u do it ?
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Ok, let's step back a sec. How did you calculate your TDEE?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I would look to the starting strength routine. It would typically take me around an hour, but I work out at my own place, so I'm sitting using the computer or doing some other work between sets and have long breaks.
    In a gym I'd generally take no more than 45 minutes.
    It seems (for me at least) that the compound exercises it uses are excellent at upping my metabolic rate by a fair bit (yes, I have tested it!).

You need a barbell, a squat rack and a bench. Lots of gyms don't have squat racks unfortunately.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    What's your height?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you want to be lean then that means keeping as much muscle as possible. That means a moderate deficit, plenty of protein, and resistance training.

You can lose more at first. But as your fat reserves reduce, so does the amount you can lose without sacrificing your muscle.

I'd start with setting MFP to lose 1.5 lbs per week. Log accurately by using a food scale to weigh everything out and enter your own recipes. Set your macros manually to .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and the rest carbs.

Either start lifting weights or do some other form of resistance training. I did Stronglifts, which is free. Starting Strength is another good option.

When you get to your last 25 lbs or so change your sets to lose 1 lb per week. When you get to the last 10 lbs change to half a pound per week.

If you want to do this right then setting a deadline is not the best idea imo.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Also you don't need to spend 2 hours at the gym. That's a good way to burn out. An hour should be plenty.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    If you want to be lean then that means keeping as much muscle as possible. That means a moderate deficit, plenty of protein, and resistance training.

You can lose more at first. But as your fat reserves reduce, so does the amount you can lose without sacrificing your muscle.

I'd start with setting MFP to lose 1.5 lbs per week. Log accurately by using a food scale to weigh everything out and enter your own recipes. Set your macros manually to .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and the rest carbs.

Either start lifting weights or do some other form of resistance training. I did Stronglifts, which is free. Starting Strength is another good option.

When you get to your last 25 lbs or so change your sets to lose 1 lb per week. When you get to the last 10 lbs change to half a pound per week.

If you want to do this right then setting a deadline is not the best idea imo.

Best suggestions so far.

All Pro's Beginner Weight Lifting Routine is also free.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options

The one shown is based on the wrong weight I said earlier, this one based on 13 stones: 182lbs (rounded down to 180lbs)
    I do light activity, rugby on Mondays, sometimes 40mins walks on Tuesdays, and that would be it, rarely I'd walk 40mins on Thursdays.

BMI 28.5
    BMR 1804
    TDEE 2481
    5ft 7
    So would 2000 cals intake be good if I burn 1000 cals a day in gym for 2 hours for 5 days? Will I be able to achieve in 6 months?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    you can use the search button here with the key words "6 months" and "pics" and you will find a lot of threads showing what people have achieved in that time frame. I tried to do it for you but the link did not show specifically the list, i would have had to copy and paste each link and I'm not feeling like pasting 20 pages worth of results right now.

Good luck on your journey. . . :flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me of someone...

OP, it's just math. Use MFP to figure out how many calories to eat. Log your exercise and eat those calories back. I find this is the simplest most straightforward thing to do.

Forgot to ad: don't be in a big hurry. Rushing things will get you a poor result. Guaranteed you will be in a much better place in 6 months whether you have reached your ultimate goal or not. No one can say for sure how much weight you will lose in a certain period of time. There are too many variables.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Do Consider why you are burning 1000 calories.

If it's to improve cardiovascular fitness, fair enough.

However, if it's for weight loss; we're down to calories in vs calories out.
    You are 'buying' yourself 1000 extra calories. You could do half the work and eat 500 calories less for the same weight loss results.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

The one shown is based on the wrong weight I said earlier, this one based on 13 stones: 182lbs (rounded down to 180lbs)
    I do light activity, rugby on Mondays, sometimes 40mins walks on Tuesdays, and that would be it, rarely I'd walk 40mins on Thursdays.

BMI 28.5
    BMR 1804
    TDEE 2481
    5ft 7
    So would 2000 cals intake be good if I burn 1000 cals a day in gym for 2 hours for 5 days? Will I be able to achieve in 6 months?

That's only 1000 net calories per day. No, that is not enough for an 18 year old male looking to keep his muscle.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    Idk how to work out how much calories to take in using mfp, also if I burn them calories, ur asking to eat it back up? Doesn't that just bring the fat back, e,g 2000 cals, burn 700, come back eat 700 = 2000 cals all over again?
  • NazKBaz101
    Options

BMI 28.5
    BMR 1804
    TDEE 2481
    5ft 7

That's only 1000 net calories per day. No, that is not enough for an 18 year old male looking to keep his muscle.

How much should I eat, plus I would never know if I could even eat that much calories, how much should I burn?, u said 1.5 lbs, isn't that 700cals a day? Meaning I keep 1300 hundred?
  • cmeiron
    Options
    TDEE is meant to include all your exercise burns as well. If you're in the gym 5 days a week you're not "lightly" active. Your TDEE is probably closer to 2970-3300. You probably don't want to be eating less than 2500/day IMO.

a) read what ILiftHeavyAcrylics said re: setting your goals, tracking, logging, measuring food, setting macros.
    b) DON'T spend 2 hours a day in the gym - there's absolutely no need and you'll likely burn out. Pick a good lifting program like one of the ones she mentioned, and implement that.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    Do Consider why you are burning 1000 calories.

If it's to improve cardiovascular fitness, fair enough.

However, if it's for weight loss; we're down to calories in vs calories out.
    You are 'buying' yourself 1000 extra calories. You could do half the work and eat 500 calories less for the same weight loss results.

It's for that but I'm buying 1000 cals, does that mean it's too much?, plus how much should I eat and how much should I burn for my goal, cus I've entered this blind, I still don't know how much to eat or burn