Burning lots of calories

Does anyone know any exercises that burn lots of calories? Routines? Anything would help :)

Replies

• ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    running
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Running. Rope jumping is even better (assuming "Muhammed Ali" exertion level).

If you could do, say, pushups/pullups/etc for a straight hour (literally no breaks), that would also burn a crap load of calories, on the same order as running.
  • Running is one of the best provided your lower extremities can handle to strain. If not, there are always the low impact machines that can burn a ton of calories also (elliptical, Cybex, Cross-trainers, etc).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Running is good, especially if you can do HIIT or hill intervals. I also like to do circuit training, either with a video like 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30 or with weights/push-ups/pull-ups and running on incline. One of my favorite circuit routines is: 5 pull-ups, 10 deadlifts (this requires a bar and plates) or 3-4 pistol squats on each leg, 25 push-ups with feet on exercise ball, run 3 min on incline - repeat 3-5 sets.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Weighted sled, running, backpacking, cross country skiing
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    running uphill witha weighted sledge, punching slabs of meat, sprinting on a beach

basically anything from the training montages of a Rocky movie will burn a crap load of calories
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Zumba! Easily burns 500-800 cals per hour.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    My personal faves:

Swimming
    Running
    Hardcore vinyasa yoga
  • Spin/cycle classes.
    I burn anywhere from 700-1000 calories in an hour.

And as others said, running.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member

that is unlikely
  • CCmomof5
    CCmomof5 Posts: 13 Member
    Kickboxing
    HIIT
    Tabata-type training (when you're short on time, but need to burn lots of calories)

I also agree with all those who mentioned running. Always good - especially with intervals.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Do you go to a gym? Does it have an arc-trainer? I burn more cals on that than running on the treadmill.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Move your body a lot...bonus, add weight to your body and move a lot.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Does anyone know any exercises that burn lots of calories? Routines? Anything would help :)

Y?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Your metabolic rate burns the most calories.. But I agree with DavPul.. why? It's not about how many calories you burn as you really just need a deficit to lose weight. Cardio is good for the heart, weight training is good for you lean body mass and muscle retention.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    zumba apparently. and swimming. loads.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    My favorite method is by simply eating 250 calories less than maintenance. Takes zero time, too.
  • PunkyRachel

that is unlikely

It's true. I do Zumba with a fitness tracker. I even did a research paper on Zumba fitness for a college class this semester. If you'd like to read it I'd gladly send it to ya.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Oh. Okay. Well, I guess I'll just settle in and prepare for a wave of "Why am I not losing" people logging 600+ cal burns for zumba. This will get interesting real fast.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    my oven. lulzlulzlulz
  • PunkyRachel
    Oh. Okay. Well, I guess I'll just settle in and prepare for a wave of "Why am I not losing" people logging 600+ cal burns for zumba. This will get interesting real fast.

The heavier you are the more you burn, I burn about 200 less calories now doing Zumba, than when I started 10 clothing sizes ago. It works every inch of your body and you sweat buckets. I also have a lady in my Zumba class that has lost about 150 lbs. I'm not saying to only do Zumba, cause I do other exercises as well (walking, elliptical, etc.), but Zumba's my favorite, cause really its just a fun dance party.

Now what irks me is when people log stuff like "cooking" as exercise. :noway:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

that is unlikely

It's true. I do Zumba with a fitness tracker. I even did a research paper on Zumba fitness for a college class this semester. If you'd like to read it I'd gladly send it to ya.

Fitness trackers do a terrible job of guesstimating calorie burns for that type of exercise. There are folks who can burn a lot in sessions like that, but they are a small small percentage.

If you want to me look over your paper, I'd be happy to.
  • Lots and lots of cardio. Running is the best but I've also heard of jump rope being good. Honestly do something you enjoy its better than dreading your workouts.
  • Vnm77
    Vnm77 Posts: 32 Member
    Interval training...try doing ur usual cardio alternating super fast then slow and repeat...I love doing this on the treadmill ...burns a ton of calories in a fraction of the time compared to jogging at a steady pace and u get faster results in as little as a 20 minute workout.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Raking leaves!!! You are welcome to do my yard anytime.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Cycle the Tour de France perhaps....
    They are burning about 3,500 - 4,500 calories a day so eating around 6,000 cals to maintain.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Cybex Arc Trainer. If your gym has one, try it. Easily gets your heart rate up there. If you add resistance, you can burn 400-500 cals in 30 minutes.

Weight training/strength to get higher daily cal burn (which adds up over time). Running for more than an hour may burn a few extra cals but doesn't provide any appreciably better cardio effects. You can get the full benefits cardiovascularly-speaking running 30-45 minutes versus 90 minutes.

But remember -- you can't outrun what you ate. Also, the more you exercise vigourously, the hungrier you might be which sets you up to outeat what you just did. Happened to me a lot. I'd spend vast amounts of time in the gym -- running upwards of 35 miles a week. But I'd be starving and eat an extra 1000 calories the next day. Kind of negated all the hard work in the gym!