I am not losing any weight!

Options
It is my second week and I am getting very frustrated! I do some sort of exercise everyday and I stay under my caloric, fat, carb, sodium, saturated fat goal everyday! The only one I don't stay under is protein because I heard protein just helps muscles, and that it doesn't make you gain weight like everything else. Somehow I am not losing weight! The scale has stayed in the same place since last Saturday. I am trying to lose 2 lbs. per week but that seems impossible. I really don't know what is going on.

Replies

• dgweisblatt
    Options
    First of all, DON'T GIVE UP! Just keep plugging away - exercise every day, eat well and track it, DRINK PLENTY OF WATER, and it WILL come off.

I've noticed (since I've been at this a LONG time), that I'll be "excellent" and not lose anything (and it's not related to the "time of the month" either) and then POOF - I'll drop a kg just like that! Your body WILL catch up to what you're doing. Just keep doing it!!! :smile:
  • paul100
    Options
    At the end of the day it's calories out vs. calories in - if you're logging all your food and exercise, and that's showing a consistent calorie deficit and you're still not losing weight then you must be incorrectly recording the data.

The first step to figuring out what's going on is to get the data correct, then you can make a plan to change things.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Don't get frustrated, that will not help at all. If you are eating in your calorie range and putting forth a good effort in exercising the weight will come off. Make certain to drink your water, and try to avoid late night snacks if you can.

Depending on the exercises you are doing it could just be that your muscles are growing and your fat is decreasing at the same pace.. leaving your weight loss at 0. how are you feeling, any healthier? A little more pop in your step?

Stick with it and Good Luck!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I do measure EVERYTHING lol. I always measure the amount of food before I eat it so I know it is correct. I won't put anything in my mouth unless I have already measured it up. There is no way I could possibly be hitting a plateau this early in the game. I do know I feel healthier because I have been running/walking at least 5 days a week! I am not as out of breath as I was at first already and have more energy.
  • paul100
    Options
    I do measure EVERYTHING lol. I always measure the amount of food before I eat it so I know it is correct. I won't put anything in my mouth unless I have already measured it up. There is no way I could possibly be hitting a plateau this early in the game.

Right - well if you're confident that you're getting the calories in correct, then it must be that you're mis-estimating the calories you're using. There's no getting away from the fact that you can only lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Conversely - if you're not losing weight then you must be consuming at least as many calories as you're burning.
  • cwelsh
    cwelsh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When i began losing i had the same exact issue. While the scale wasn't moving, I did notice I was losing inches. After about a month there was a "swap" where i stopped losing inches and started dropping pounds. I wouldn't get discouraged and just stick with it and i'm sure you'll have similar results. Also if you are working out and exercising frequently, you could be gaining some muscle as opposed to fat.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Can I just say that 2 weeks is NOT enough time to assess your weight loss. You need to give it 6 weeks before any kind of panic sets in!! Your body has a LOT of adjusting to do, before it even settles into fat loss.

There are a million reasons why the scale doesnt move in one week. Your body is not a 2lb losing machine. It's an 'average' to go by if you are 1000 cals in deficit, but certainly you won't drop 2lbs every week at the same time!!

Please read the previous posts about this as it is a subject that comes up ALL the time!

Just carry on what you're doing and remember its a marathon, not a race!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Patience. It will take a while. 2lbs per week is a lot to ask when you first start. Your body has to have time to adjust and get use to the new life style. Cutting 7000 calories per week is a shock to your system. Keep going it will pay off. Make sure if you are in a deficit of 7000 total which includes calories burned from exercise. I have been doing this for several months and have experienced many ups and downs. just last month gained 3 lbs and actually had increased cardio 181 to 184....this week alone (since last Friday) i have lost down to 179 (in dress clothes!) as of this morning. Don't stress it or you will slow or quit alltogether. Plus, think about how long it took to gain the weight, your body is comfortable with the way things were and will eventually realize this isnt a "brief" starvation or temporary thing and will adapt.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    my theroy is sometimes with some people micronutrients it can be differ again with MFP i think their adding is by the gereral. i figured my out and have had the best luck like carbs aren't great for everyone same with protein same with fat some people body burn things differ. perhapes look more into that because not one healthy diet fits everybody. i truly beilives in that and i know this by just watching friends and family and how all are bodies react to different micronutrients. like more protein is always beter inmy diet but fat and carbs have to blance out vs the guy at my gym who can do high amounts of fat and stay slim my sister gains weight from too much protein but can eat all the carbs in the world and stay trim. go fig
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    I do know I feel healthier because I have been running/walking at least 5 days a week! I am not as out of breath as I was at first already and have more energy.

That is a greater accomplishment right there then 2lbs of weightloss! Goes to show the changes you are making are working and in the long run you will be accomplishing your goals...
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    I do measure EVERYTHING lol. I always measure the amount of food before I eat it so I know it is correct. I won't put anything in my mouth unless I have already measured it up. There is no way I could possibly be hitting a plateau this early in the game.

Right - well if you're confident that you're getting the calories in correct, then it must be that you're mis-estimating the calories you're using. There's no getting away from the fact that you can only lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Conversely - if you're not losing weight then you must be consuming at least as many calories as you're burning.
    That is an over simplification, and far from the truth.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options
    my theroy is sometimes with some people micronutrients it can be differ again with MFP i think their adding is by the gereral. i figured my out and have had the best luck like carbs aren't great for everyone same with protein same with fat some people body burn things differ. perhapes look more into that because not one healthy diet fits everybody. i truly beilives in that and i know this by just watching friends and family and how all are bodies react to different micronutrients. like more protein is always beter inmy diet but fat and carbs have to blance out vs the guy at my gym who can do high amounts of fat and stay slim my sister gains weight from too much protein but can eat all the carbs in the world and stay trim. go fig

Then maybe it could be protein for me. That is the only one that I haven't stayed under because I heard from many people that it doesn't make you gain weight. Maybe they were wrong and I should try to stay under and see what happens.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options

That is an over simplification, and far from the truth.

That is why I ignored what he said. I do believe calories in and calories out are important, which is why I am staying under. However, there are several other factors that could be taking place which is why I posted this. I wanted to see if anybody else had any other factors hindering them and ways they got around them. I started watching my sodium because I know that causes no weight loss no matter how many calories you don't eat. I also know hormones and lack of sleep can be a factor no matter how much calories I don't get. Same for stress and my body getting used to it.
  • paul100
    Options
    If you guys believe that the laws of physics somehow don't apply to this situation there's little point in arguing about it :/
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    If you guys believe that the laws of physics somehow don't apply to this situation there's little point in arguing about it :/
    If you do not realize we are talking biology not physics you are correct. about arguing.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options
    If you do not realize we are talking biology not physics you are correct. about arguing.

That gave me a great laugh GorillaNJ!!! lol. Physics has NOTHING to do with biology! That's like saying history or math!
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. I keep a chart and diary of each week and note when I lost weight and didn't and then keep re-assesing. Its a bummer, but I find if I eat too many carbs I don't shift weight. If I eat over 1200 ( and still make sure I exercise) I don't loose weight. If I dont drink 8 glasses of water a day: I don't loose weight. Its a pain in the *kitten*: but it sure gets you fitter!!! Change something you are doing. The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Change what you are doing!!! Be smart Were all ere to support you, I don't think this journey has been easy for anyone, but the success stories are: THEY ALL KEPT GOING!!!!
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If it's as easy as calories in/calories out then why do I suddenly lose weight when I go off my medication? I eat the same, but for some reason the meds I am on must make my metabolism slower because I gain weight when I use it and lose weight when I do not use it. Lots of weight too, not just a few lbs.

I think there are so many more things that affect weight than just calories in/out.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options
    If it's as easy as calories in/calories out then why do I suddenly lose weight when I go off my medication? I eat the same, but for some reason the meds I am on must make my metabolism slower because I gain weight when I use it and lose weight when I do not use it. Lots of weight too, not just a few lbs.

I think there are so many more things that affect weight than just calories in/out.

That is what I was saying because there are A LOT of outside factors! That is why I am trying to figure out which one is it because it is definitely not calories or carbs. I know 2 years ago they put me on an asthma medication and I BALLOOOOOONNNNEEEDDD. I didn't eat anymore, it was because they were steroids and made my whole body fill up with water. So I know exactly what you are talking about!