Do you ever buy too small clothes for motivation?

Options
Has anybody bought a motivation outfit or swimsuit, and taken before and after picture after they reached their goal?

Replies

• sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Ive bought clothes too small if i found them on major clearance becasue i knew they would eventually fit. And they did :drinker:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    been thinking about it with a pair of jeans in a style i know fit me and a tight tee. i've been thinking of taking monthly comparisons ie here's me not even able to get them past my knees -> here's me with them on but no where near buttoning, etc
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I live in jeans. I've bought a size smaller before it could fit me. Inexpensive purchase, good motivation.
    I also saved clothes from the last time I was this size, and it's been a thrill getting back into them again for the first time in over a decade. :-)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you, why not. For me, the first step in losing weight was always buying some clothes that actually fit. I have purchased a few "slightly snug" items, though, and it's a great feeling to put them on and have them fit and look good.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I've done it and I've managed to fit into some of them. Some I can't wear just yet. I bought a pair of jeans one size lower than what I typically wear. After doing a 30 day squat challenge, I can now wear them easily.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    If they are really cheap and only a bit too small. I did win a lingerie set once in a drawing and I got it in what my goal size is. I am still working my way there buy based in my progress so far, I really underestimated what would happen with my bust. I assumed I'd lose in the band and cup fairly evenly. Reality is I am only losing in the band with minimal impact in the cup so my cup size is increasing. I decided after that just to stick with an inch or so difference, as who knows how my body will morph as it shrinks.

On the up note, since I won that bra set the brand extended their sizes so I might just be able to fit it at goal! I really should sell the unworn bra I have now on eBay or something. Anyone want a cute red and black pinup bra in a 32G or so that runs small. :)
  • strunch
    strunch Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes. I bought two pairs of jeans one size too small, not really for motivation but because I already decided how much weight I wanted to lose and am completely confident it will happen.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    No, but I kept a closet full of clothes that used to fit back around 2004, and a sportcoat that I bought in December 2005 that was, to be honest, a little too tight. I was able to wear them again this past September, and now they're a little loose!
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "kept the old stuff that doesn't fit anymore" category. But I don't have the nerve to buy stuff that doesn't fit.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I kept my old stuff and today most of it fits. I am thrilled.
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    yes! i fit in to half it now woohoo!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I would never buy something in the hope that it might someday fit. Even if I reached a certain size, it doesn't guarantee that the cut would be right. Seems like a potential waste of money and a way to set yourself up for disappointment.
  • tyb03
    tyb03 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I absolutely buy clothes too small! Sometimes it's hard for me to believe I'm actually losing or I can't tell at all depsite what people say but fitting into jeans I originally bought too small proves it. Just recently I bought a sexy black dress too tight on my given my shape and I can't wait to fit into it by my birthday!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    They were on sale so I bought one size smaller than I thought I needed-- and they fit! A little tight, but they fit.
  • wistera
    wistera Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I bought a motivation peacoat (on really good sale) last year... didn't quite fit in it by the end of the season last winter, and unfortunately (/fortunately?) it was too big on me this winter! So to goodwill it goes.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "kept the old stuff that doesn't fit anymore" category. But I don't have the nerve to buy stuff that doesn't fit.

Yep me too. I moved house while I was bigger and I boxed up the too-small clothes seperately, so its been a real thrill unpacking that box, some of it I've not worn since my early 20s, its like thrift shop shopping, some great finds and old loves, some huge style mistakes brought back to mind.
  • DjangoAndDeadlifts
    Options
    My last 4 pairs of jeans were at least a size too small (and each smaller than the previous). Then I got rid of the larger size once the smaller fit.
  • queenjustine03
    queenjustine03 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bought a bathing suit on clearance that one day I will be able to wear in public!
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have clothes I have from previous lower weights that I have kept. Currently I am changing slowly and have been going to the thrift shop to buy clothes that fit me as I go down in size. Previously at this weight I was pregnant so I don't have anything besides maternity stuff for this weight. I have bought some jeans at smaller sizes and on Thursday I bought a shirt that was super cute but a bit tight on my bust. It was 1.99 so I got it. I dont feel as guilty buying clothes for this size or slightly smaller clothes when they are so cheap and that is the great thing about buying clothes at the thrift shop.
  • valeriejo
    valeriejo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did that on Black Friday and I any wait until I can fit in them. I need the clothes and I'm poor so the best thing is that I can actually work to fit in them because I can't afford more! Perfect motivation for me!