Achievable in 6 months?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ok, let's step back a sec. How did you calculate your TDEE?

The one shown is based on the wrong weight I said earlier, this one based on 13 stones: 182lbs (rounded down to 180lbs)
    I do light activity, rugby on Mondays, sometimes 40mins walks on Tuesdays, and that would be it, rarely I'd walk 40mins on Thursdays.

BMI 28.5
    BMR 1804
    TDEE 2481
    5ft 7
    So would 2000 cals intake be good if I burn 1000 cals a day in gym for 2 hours for 5 days? Will I be able to achieve in 6 months?

That's only 1000 net calories per day. No, that is not enough for an 18 year old male looking to keep his muscle.

How much should I eat, plus I would never know if I could even eat that much calories, how much should I burn?, u said 1.5 lbs, isn't that 700cals a day? Meaning I keep 1300 hundred?

MFP will calculate your intake including taking a cut for your deficit. If you go to goals and tell it you want to lose 1.5 lbs per week then MFP will tell you how many calories to eat. That number has your deficit built in, so if you do a ton of exercise you're meant to eat those calories back to keep your deficit reasonable.

If you're using TDEE method, then you take a cut (usually a percentage) and you would not eat back your exercise calories.

So for example: my TDEE is 1850. If I am using TDEE-10% (because I don't have much fat) I would eat 1665 calories and I would not log exercise.

If I set MFP to lose half a pound per week, it would give me 1510 calories but then I'd need to log my exercise and eat back the calories.

It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Pick whichever method is easier for you. Just don't try to combine them.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    TDEE is meant to include all your exercise burns as well. If you're in the gym 5 days a week you're not "lightly" active. Your TDEE is probably closer to 2970-3300. You probably don't want to be eating less than 2500/day IMO.

a) read what ILiftHeavyAcrylics said re: setting your goals, tracking, logging, measuring food, setting macros.
    b) DON'T spend 2 hours a day in the gym - there's absolutely no need and you'll likely burn out. Pick a good lifting program like one of the ones she mentioned, and implement that.

Okay I will eat 2500 cals, cus I will never be able to eat that much, but hoe much should I burn a day to lose "1.5lbs" a week? Just as she said.
    I will do weight as recommended. How much?
    And okay I won't spend 2 hours, but enough to lose 1.5 pounds a week, yes.
    Pls tell (I feel bad for asking so much)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    TDEE is meant to include all your exercise burns as well. If you're in the gym 5 days a week you're not "lightly" active. Your TDEE is probably closer to 2970-3300. You probably don't want to be eating less than 2500/day IMO.

a) read what ILiftHeavyAcrylics said re: setting your goals, tracking, logging, measuring food, setting macros.
    b) DON'T spend 2 hours a day in the gym - there's absolutely no need and you'll likely burn out. Pick a good lifting program like one of the ones she mentioned, and implement that.

Okay I will eat 2500 cals, cus I will never be able to eat that much, but hoe much should I burn a day to lose "1.5lbs" a week? Just as she said.

You're combining the methods. You can't do that, it doesn't work.

If you're going to do TDEE method then you're just going to be losing a percentage.

Decide if you want to use MFP method (a set number of pounds per week) or if you want to use TDEE method (a percentage)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    . Deleted to avoid complicating things. Yes, first clarify what method you plan to use.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options

If you're going to do TDEE method then you're just going to be losing a percentage.

Decide if you want to use MFP method (a set number of pounds per week) or if you want to use TDEE method (a percentage)

Okay so I chose the second option, says my net consumed is 1660 cals, the more I burn the more I eat?, so does that mean, if I don't do exercise then I would just lose weight? If I do exercise I would have to eat however much I want to burn? Till it reaches 1660 cals?, if this is rich seems simple enough, but how much should I be burning (if I'm right). According to someone 1000 deficit not enough, does that mean I need to eat a lot more? How much more? (Answer these if I'm wrong)

(Pls tell me if I'm wrong)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You can do WHATEVER you put your mind to! Just stay focused on your end goal. Do your workouts even when you're tired, feeling ****ty, whatever... Stick to your food log to ensure you're not over eating even when there's a Christmas party or dinner out with friends. Again, you can do whatever you put your mind to.

Just cruising by to say that the above is not true.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    . Deleted to avoid complicating things. Yes, first clarify what method you plan to use.

Using mfp, it says I should eat 1660 net, then says note, however much I want to burn, I eat, does this mean if I want to burn 700 cals, I eat 700 cals more?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Okay so I chose the second option, says my net consumed is 1660 cals, the more I burn the more I eat?, so does that mean, if I don't do exercise then I would just lose weight? If I do exercise I would have to eat however much I want to burn? Till it reaches 1660 cals?, if this is rich seems simple enough, but how much should I be burning (if I'm right). According to someone 1000 deficit not enough, does that mean I need to eat a lot more? How much more? (Answer these if I'm wrong)

Okay. Go to your goals. Set it to lose 1.5 lbs per week. Then you eat that much, plus however much you burn off at the gym. So if you burn 500 calories and your goal is 1800, you'd eat 2300 total. Make sense?

That's it.

Now, on top of that, make sure you're eating enough protein. You're 180 lbs so aim for 144 grams of protein. For fats aim for 63 grams.

And do some kind of resistance training. Either lift weights or do body weight work.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Correct. If you burn 700 calories in the gym, then you get to eat 700 more on top of the 1660. The deficit you need to lose weight is BUILT IN to that number of 1660. If you did no exercise and ate that much, you'd still lose weight. So if you burn extra, you eat extra. The exercise is not so much about losing weight, it's more about keeping your body healthy and retaining muscle mass so your body looks the way you want it to after you've lost the weight. Tracking your food and meeting your food goal is much more important in the long run.
  • TaurusV
    Options
    I inscribed here only in end of September, I am on my routine since middle august and lost 7 kg in 4 months. So I think you can lose 10 kg in 6 months in a healthy way, and I have gained muscles too so also consider if you replace your fat weight with muscle mass plus lose some kgs you will look even better if you just lose the kgs.

I agree with everybody 2 hours wont help. I remember I was in a gym long time ago, I went like everyday, did 1 hour boxing, 1 hour weight lifting and running and I still was not losing weight or training well and focused. I changed to circuit training which was more focused in like 45 min and I lost like very fast and in 5 months.

I married, moved to new place and gained like 10 kg that I am trying to eliminate and changing my lifestyle in my possibilities to reflect that. I am doing variable exercises sometimes 3,4, 5 per week as my time let me. I bought a heart rate monitor to keep me informed if I am not slacking and could do more during the work out and I do 30 to 1h workouts. But my weight lost is not so fast as many people, but I like the way my body is transforming itself.

For me cutting pasta, cereals and bread a lot, helped me. I prefer rice or potatoes. But this is just me. You have to listen to your body too, each person has its preferences and if you dont listen to it, after you lose your desired weight, you might gain again if you and your body dont like your diet in the long run.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    Correct. If you burn 700 calories in the gym, then you get to eat 700 more on top of the 1660. The deficit you need to lose weight is BUILT IN to that number of 1660. If you did no exercise and ate that much, you'd still lose weight. So if you burn extra, you eat extra. The exercise is not so much about losing weight, it's more about keeping your body healthy and retaining muscle mass so your body looks the way you want it to after you've lost the weight. Tracking your food and meeting your food goal is much more important in the long run.

Holy cow, yay I did, now I understand thanks soooooooo much, ur probably a bit angry for me keep nagging with my questions and "noobyness" on here, but thanks a lot for that.

So using mfp, how do I find out how long it would take, according to her I should be losing 1.5lbs, which would take 27 weeks or 3months for 40 lbs.... Wait, either I can lose 40lbs in 3 months or I calculated wrong. Help. And for very good looking body and "leanness" how much calories extra should I eat to become what I wish to become (sounds cheesy)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Holy cow, yay I did, now I understand thanks soooooooo much, ur probably a bit angry for me keep nagging with my questions and "noobyness" on here, but thanks a lot for that.

So using mfp, how do I find out how long it would take, according to her I should be losing 1.5lbs, which would take 27 weeks or 3months for 40 lbs.... Wait, either I can lose 40lbs in 3 months or I calculated wrong. Help. And for very good looking body and "leanness" how much calories extra should I eat to become what I wish to become (sounds cheesy)

If you want to end up lean you won't be able to lose that much for long. Like I said, you'll have to change to 1 lb per week when you get down to 25 lbs from goal, and then change to .5 lbs per week when you get to the last 10.

Be patient. Log accurately, lift weights and get enough protein, and accept that you may not lose 40 lbs by prom. You can still look a lot better by then by ensuring that you lose mostly fat.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options

Okay. Go to your goals. Set it to lose 1.5 lbs per week. Then you eat that much, plus however much you burn off at the gym. So if you burn 500 calories and your goal is 1800, you'd eat 2300 total. Make sense?

That's it.

Now, on top of that, make sure you're eating enough protein. You're 180 lbs so aim for 144 grams of protein. For fats aim for 63 grams.

And do some kind of resistance training. Either lift weights or do body weight work.

Says this :

Nutritional Goals Goals
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,660 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 228 g
    Fat / Day 55 g
    Protein / Day 62 g

What u recommend is more, but is this what I should follow, or should I follow what u say o.o

Plus I will consume 1660 cals + the amount I want to burn at gym, I'm confused
    I was wanting to go gym for weightloss, but does weightloss still happen if I eat back and burn them extra calories? And does it make it more efficient (my metabolism rate?)
  • NazKBaz101
    Options

If you want to end up lean you won't be able to lose that much for long. Like I said, you'll have to change to 1 lb per week when you get down to 25 lbs from goal, and then change to .5 lbs per week when you get to the last 10.

Be patient. Log accurately, lift weights and get enough protein, and accept that you may not lose 40 lbs by prom. You can still look a lot better by then by ensuring that you lose mostly fat.

I heard a lot of people did it, why can't i o.o?
    Also il do that thing where I drop lb for the last 25lbs and 10 etc, but what does that do?
    Really unsure how they managed?
  • cmeiron
    Options
    You calculated wrong :wink: Closer to six months. That said, weight loss isn't linear. You might lose a lot at first, then it could slow down one week, stop the next week, then drop suddenly and quickly again, etc. It could take 6 months, it could take less. Bodies are funny things and don't always adhere to the mathematics as well as we want them to :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    You can lose that much weight. But you said you wanted to be lean, which means you want to keep your muscle. To keep your muscle you have to make sure that you're not maintaining too large of a deficit, because your body can only burn off a limited amount of fat at a time. If you've got a lot of fat you can lose more per week, but as the fat reserves get smaller so does the amount you can lose. If you try to do more you end up sacrificing muscle.

As to your macros. Follow the number of calories MFP gives you, but their macros are designed for a sedentary person. Since you're exercising and eating at a deficit you need more protein. That's also going to preserve your muscle. You can do into goals and change your macros manually.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    I inscribed here only in end of September, I am on my routine since middle august and lost 7 kg in 4 months. So I think you can lose 10 kg in 6 months in a healthy way, and I have gained muscles too so also consider if you replace your fat weight with muscle mass plus lose some kgs you will look even better if you just lose the kgs.

I agree with everybody 2 hours wont help. I remember I was in a gym long time ago, I went like everyday, did 1 hour boxing, 1 hour weight lifting and running and I still was not losing weight or training well and focused. I changed to circuit training which was more focused in like 45 min and I lost like very fast and in 5 months.

I married, moved to new place and gained like 10 kg that I am trying to eliminate and changing my lifestyle in my possibilities to reflect that. I am doing variable exercises sometimes 3,4, 5 per week as my time let me. I bought a heart rate monitor to keep me informed if I am not slacking and could do more during the work out and I do 30 to 1h workouts. But my weight lost is not so fast as many people, but I like the way my body is transforming itself.

For me cutting pasta, cereals and bread a lot, helped me. I prefer rice or potatoes. But this is just me. You have to listen to your body too, each person has its preferences and if you dont listen to it, after you lose your desired weight, you might gain again if you and your body dont like your diet in the long run.

Aren't rice and pasta filled with carbs, which is used for energy or stored as fats when not used?, so isn't eating those bad?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification...I have been wondering about this. I am not always that steady with my workouts and that makes TDEE a little scary for me. It seems well suited to someone who can rely on a steady workout schedule that is quite predictable.
  • NazKBaz101
    Options
    You can lose that much weight. But you said you wanted to be lean, which means you want to keep your muscle. To keep your muscle you have to make sure that you're not maintaining too large of a deficit, because your body can only burn off a limited amount of fat at a time. If you've got a lot of fat you can lose more per week, but as the fat reserves get smaller so does the amount you can lose. If you try to do more you end up sacrificing muscle.

As to your macros. Follow the number of calories MFP gives you, but their macros are designed for a sedentary person. Since you're exercising and eating at a deficit you need more protein. That's also going to preserve your muscle. You can do into goals and change your macros manually.

That's the problem u see, idk cus idk if I want to lose fat more than I want to be lean, but of course I want to be lean as well, but then again the goal seems more reachable. How much would I lose if I did try the lean method? Half of it?
  • KristiCee67
    KristiCee67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds in 5 months, never going below 1200. It's doable.