Can NEVER stick to healthy eating, please help!

Options
Okay, I created this account just so I could try and get some help, because nothing else seems to work. I have been trying for an incredibly long time now to stick to healthy eating (not even a strict diet, just a healthier one) but no matter what, I can never follow through because my cravings for carbs and sugar ALWAYS get in the way (mostly in the forms of bowls full of sugary cereals and anything chocolate). After I've eaten it, I of course feel extremely guilty but also extremely motivated to change my ways and not do it again. This motivation usually sticks with me through the next day until either the afternoon when I come home from school or at night. Then- and this is the most frustrating part for me- my brain somehow changes into this completely different mindset where I don't even care about the weight loss or getting healthy anymore (even though it's truly what I REALLY want). All the motivation disappears. I even tell myself in the back of my mind that I'll regret it, but the cravings always over power it and I'm back to square one, completely depressed and frustrated... until the motivation strikes again and this same cycle goes on and on and on, causing me to never see results or get anywhere. I live a pretty active lifestyle, I try to go running or to the gym as often as possible, I know the motivation is definitely there, and again, I'm not putting myself on a restrictive diet, I just need a way to get that little voice out of my head that is always talking me into binging on carbs and sugar. If anyone could offer any solution I would appreciate it so much! I've been wanting to change my eating habits for so long and can not wait any longer.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I had to just not buy the foods that were triggers for me. After a while of not having them around, it gets easier. I still don't buy saltines because I could eat them by the roll, lol.
  • desperate4fitness
    Options
    thank you for your help, but I have siblings who my mom grocery shops for as well, so unfortunately the sugary junk food is still always there :(
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's time to have a heart to heart with your mom. No one needs to be eating sugar laden cereals and snacks. Unfortunately when you share a house with people who don't share your goals then you have an uphill battle. I would suggest trying to find some substitutes for the sugary snacks/cereals. There are plenty of cereals out there that taste good but aren't chock full of sugar. Maybe ask your mom to get some of those for you. I've heard some people use the "brush your teeth" deterrent. Nothing tastes good when you've just brushed your teeth. I've had some luck with playing the "wait five minutes" game with myself. When the craving hits I tell myself that I can have the snack in five minutes. Sometimes I get distracted enough to forget the snack. Try to figure out why you're snacking. Are you bored? Depressed? Lonely? Choose an activity that prohibits snacking....like getting on here and messaging your friends. Good luck! I know it's hard. Now that it's just me and my husband at home, I don't buy the sweet stuff anymore...and when I do have to buy something like that for him then I make sure it's something I don't like.
  • NaturallyCrowned
    Options
    If you know your gonna end up eating sugary cereal or chocolate find a healthy alternative that still satisfies your craving. Then plan to eat it when you know your cravings are the worst. This way you have more control. Like I am horrible when it comes to late night eating. But what I have been doing is making sure I had dinner at least 3 hours before I go to bed and then plan a snack like some almonds and a piece of chocolate with some fruit. This way I won't destroy my day. Also make sure you eat every 3 hours to keep you from getting hungry.
  • craziwrld
    craziwrld Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories and try to eat healthier, but I'd I want something, I'm going to have it lol. I just try to limit the amount I have. For example that chocolate craving hits, those mini candy bars my kids got for holloween work out great, but I stop at one. If I want sugary cereal, though honestly not a big fan, just have a small bowl. Our if my family goes through a drive through, usually McDonald's, I get a grilled chicken wrap easy half of it and a yogurt parfait, them I steal some of my kids or husband's French fries cuz I know I'm going to want them, so I only take a few and full up on the healthier stuff. Don't completely say no, because then it becomes taboo and I just want it more lol. Now I have a lot of weight to lose, so I'm not sure if that's why I can get away with it at the moment, but I am still losing weight. I have lost 18lbs in the past 6 weeks, I'm not exercising or anything like that. I am working on my portion control and controlling my cravings. Hopefully that will help some. Good luck. If you have any questions let me know.
  • carri8820
    Options
    When I get a sweet tooth I try to keep prepackaged items like Yoplait whip yogurts and ice cream sandwiches, fudgsicles. Anything thing that has around 200 calories and when it strikes I am prepared and go for one of those items. I stay AWAY from the cereal because even if I eat one bowl it will turn into 3 or so. Carbs are my enemy. As I go up and down through this process I am learning how my body responds to stuff is it worth the way I am going to feel afterwards. I have3 kids and I get how hard it is when having the "BAD" stuff around u its all tempting and inviting saying "come eat me" just say no lol.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 2 years come Jan. 1st, I still have not kicked the cravings. Just yesterday I ate 500 calories worth of chocolate candy. Yikes! I will do good for a few days, sometimes a few weeks. At least once or twice a week I will be over count, but I just keep at it.

I have increased my veggies, I buy frozen instead of canned.
    I don't like fruit, except bananas. So I buy motts healthy harvest applesauce in varying fruit combinations. (50 cals per 1/2 cup, and it counts as 1 serving of fruit.)
    I cook more often, and take leftovers for my lunch the next day.
    I switched from white bread to whole wheat.
    I eat eggs noodles, whole wheat noodles, or veggie noodles only.
    No more white rice, I switched to brown rice.
    I use red sauces more, its healthier than cream/white sauces.
    I bake my fries at home. I actually don't fry anything anymore.
    I don't use sugar, I buy a big bag of Stevia in the raw, use that to bake and sweeten my beverages.
    My go to snacks are Nature valley granola thins (80 cals each), and Act II 94% fat free popcorn (96 cals per bag)
    I don't buy junk food, out of sight out of mind. (when I do have junky food, its because I was somewhere besides home)
    No more soda, I drink only water, tea, and hot cocoa( fat free) now that its winter.
    There are other things I've changed but my list is getting long, so I'm gonna stop here.

Well that's my 2 cents. It really does get easier. You just gotta look at everyday as a fresh start, tell yourself that you will do better than the day before. Best of luck to ya! I know you can do it!
  • gloryandgore
    Options
    desperate4fitness, as a chocoholic myself I can understand the guilt and frustration that you're probably experiencing after your "binge". Here are some things that have helped me (which might be helpful for you too):

#1. I avoid temptation by never having trigger foods in the home (for me, that's sweets). If I crave something, be it KFC or chocolate, I will buy it and eat it outside of the home. I usually never bring it home with me, but if I do I will normally give it to my brother.

#2. It might be worthwhile to observe when you have these cravings, and the antecedents that surround those cravings. For me, most of the time it's because I'm bored. Taking that into account, when I feel a craving coming up I usually take a sip of water and do something productive or take a walk. That said, however, if that craving is still present I will allow myself to go grab whatever I'm craving and have a bit of it. It's a lifestyle change, so I needn't deprive myself of food I want - I just limit how much I eat it.

#3. I find "healthy" substitutes to satisfy my cravings (e.g., dark chocolate).

#4. For me personally, I've found that telling a few people (not everyone) that I'm eating healthier keeps me on track and avoid slipping up. By telling people I feel I will be somewhat scrutinised by my eating habits, so it "forces" me to make healthier choices when I eat out. Talking about the cravings to someone can be quite helpful too. It might be an option to find yourself a few accountability partners to keep you on track with your cravings, etc.

#5. It's all about perspective. I have always been overweight, and - like you - I had roller-coaster moments where I'd be extremely motivated at one point and extremely unmotivated the next. I used to make a lot of excuses - for example, "I'll eat X today, because one day of binging won't hurt... I'll start tomorrow... It's Monday tomorrow anyway". One day while my friend was discussing about her personal trainer, I realised that living the junk-filled lifestyle I did wasn't going to get me anywhere. If anything, I would just become more overweight and unhappier with how unhealthy and disgusting I felt. I also realised that the more I gave into the idea of "tomorrow", the more I would have wasted my opportunity to start today. That realisation got my butt into gear, and five months on I'm back at the weight I was five years ago (with full intentions of losing more). Losing weight and feeling healthier has given me more confidence and strength than a packet of Tim Tams has ever given me.

#6. I've found quotes (which I find from Pinterest or Weheartit) very motivating. Here are a few that I think might be helpful in your situation: "Junk food that you've wanted for an hour < Body that you've wanted for years"; "Love yourself enough to live a healthy lifestyle"; "It's not about perfect. It's about effort. And when you implement that effort into your life... Every single day, that's where transformation happens. That's how change occurs. Keep going; remember why you started".

Anyway, I hope this helps. All the best on your health journey! :)
  • desperate4fitness
    Options
    Wow, I wasn't expecting this many responses! I'm REALLY sorry that I don't have time to respond to each individual one, but please know that I read through all of them carefully and took some good information from each! I'm already feeling so much better just by realizing that there's other people out there who actually have to work for a healthy body. Everyone in my family but me seems to have super high metabolisms so they can eat whatever they want! I'm so appreciative of you guys actually taking the time to help out a stranger so thank you, thank you, thank you! :)
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Make a commitment to yourself. If you can make it past day 4 you - go to a healthy friend's house if necessary for fun time away :) it gets easier.. but be prepared that 3/4 days are tough. I gave up all flour and sugar and all "meal replacements" bars/shakes.. it helped a ton. You are worth it, you do not need to be enslaved to food!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Your comment that your family members can eat whatever they want and not suffer repercussions is a false notion. I diagnose thin people all the time with type two diabetes and vascular disease!! Boy, are they pissed-they can't believe it! After all, they are thin. I like to point out that God is very even handed-if you eat crap all the time and never exercise you get the exact same diseases as obese people. When I realized that very simple truth 10 years ago it changed my whole attitude toward food. I admitted my carb addiction and within 4 months I changed my shopping habits. I simply never purchased a trigger food for home consumption ever again. I never again bought white bread, white rice, white pasta or white potato. All sauces were removed because they are full of corn syrup. You can make your own sauce anyway. I removed all processed food from my pantry. In order to keep from gorging on the whole grain carbs I purchase-I have a secret! I will eat a whole tube of saltines soooo....I only purchase Kroger whole wheat saltines which I do not care much for. Because I do not like them I will not eat more than 8 of them. I buy a brand of whole wheat bread that is high in fiber and good for me but it is not delicious. Rice is a problem because I really like long grain brown basmati. So I only buy it for my husband and daughter-I consider the rice I purchase as "Their's". I treat "their" wheat pasta the same way-it does not belong to me and I do not touch it. Do not allow your trigger foods to enter your home. I find potato chips completely,obsessively addictive-no potato chip has come into my house in a decade. And it has been a decade since I ate a 1lb bag of chips by myself. I could eat cereal by the pound but I do not like honey nut Cheerios-so that’s why I buy that brand for my daughter. My pantry and fridge are quite bare now-there is no scrumptious ready to eat food lying around. This is what worked for me, good luck!
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    Your comment that your family members can eat whatever they want and not suffer repercussions is a false notion. I diagnose thin people all the time with type two diabetes and vascular disease!! Boy, are they pissed-they can't believe it! After all, they are thin. I like to point out that God is very even handed-if you eat crap all the time and never exercise you get the exact same diseases as obese people. When I realized that very simple truth 10 years ago it changed my whole attitude toward food. I admitted my carb addiction and within 4 months I changed my shopping habits. I simply never purchased a trigger food for home consumption ever again. I never again bought white bread, white rice, white pasta or white potato. All sauces were removed because they are full of corn syrup. You can make your own sauce anyway. I removed all processed food from my pantry. In order to keep from gorging on the whole grain carbs I purchase-I have a secret! I will eat a whole tube of saltines soooo....I only purchase Kroger whole wheat saltines which I do not care much for. Because I do not like them I will not eat more than 8 of them. I buy a brand of whole wheat bread that is high in fiber and good for me but it is not delicious. Rice is a problem because I really like long grain brown basmati. So I only buy it for my husband and daughter-I consider the rice I purchase as "Their's". I treat "their" wheat pasta the same way-it does not belong to me and I do not touch it. Do not allow your trigger foods to enter your home. I find potato chips uhcompletely,obsessively addictive-no potato chip has come into my house in a decade. And it has been a decade since I ate a 1lb bag of chips by myself. I could eat cereal by the pound but I do not like honey nut Cheerios-so that’s why I buy that brand for my daughter. My pantry and fridge are quite bare now-there is no scrumptious ready to eat food lying around. This is what worked for me, good luck!
    I totally agree if it doesn't enter your house you won't eat it.That's what work for me as well.
  • mo7882
    mo7882 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    if you cant get all the bad food out of the house then get some substitues.

My main crutches are sodas which i replace with diet drinks.

Get some sugar free syrup it taste like the real thing - you can get plain cornflakes and pour some over them or put it in your tea. Dark chocolate contains less sugar aswell.

You will notice after 4/5 weeks the sugar cravings will almost totally dissapear. Maybe if you can list all your trigger foods we can all come up with healthy suggestions to substitute it with.

Just Keep going.