Frustrated with attempts

Options
I've always had a weight issue. In high school I attempted Weight Watchers, and South Beach. And over the past couple years I've tried Weight Watchers, Naturally Slim, a food journal, tracking with myfitnesspal app, gym membership, running, yoga, zumba, writing my weight and weight loss on my bathroom mirror..... After all of these attempts I'm up 40 lbs in 4 years (I weighed 180 in 09 pre-pregnancy and am now 220). If I become really strict with myself I can maybe loss a quarter to half a lbs. in a week or two. So after a month and only 1 lbs down I become just worn out and exhausted from whatever I'm attempting.

Generally I'll do some greek yogurt and Kind granola in the morning, or a smoothie with protein powder. Lunch consists of chicken (sauteed, baked, or george foreman'd) with rice and veggies/fruit. Dinner is pretty much the same as lunch (except for 1 or two nights a week when I do eat out). Exercise-wise I've joined the Y and cancelled (I work 8-5:30 and only have daycare 7-6) where I did weights, yoga, and zumba classes. I've tried just putting my toddler in a jogging stroller and running, I've tried Jillian Michael's yoga meltdown and 30 day shred. I also have tried Insanity. With Insanity I was starting to feel (but not see any weight changes or anything) results but ultimately threw out my back and am not sure if my body's ready for that stress.

I made an appt with my DR for next week to discuss my weight. I know my family has thyroid issues in the past. I am pre-disposed to a lot of medical issues and I want to lose 80 lbs so I'll be at 140, I'm 5'4. Am I right for going? Sorry this post is so long!

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    count your calories accurately (weigh everything measure, only the liquids), consume less then you burn and slowly but surely (depending on your deficit) you will lose weight baring any major medical issues. Your example looks fine, but what is small to you could be large in reality. It's good to go to the doctor and get checked out, but ultimately it'll still come down to portion control. Good luck :flowerforyou:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Any time you think you need a doctor, you do.

Thyroid problems should be ruled out, for sure. It's always best to consult a doctor before a major weight loss or new exercise program anyway.

You have to weigh your food with a digital food scale. You have to set your goals correctly. Then you have to be consistent.

This will help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Welcome to the site.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    count your calories accurately (weigh everything measure, only the liquids), consume less then you burn and slowly but surely (depending on your deficit) you will lose weight baring any major medical issues. Your example looks fine, but what is small to you could be large in reality. It's good to go to the doctor and get checked out, but ultimately it'll still come down to portion control. Good luck :flowerforyou:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

I agree completely with this advice. You will have to become obsessed for awhile to teach your self about portions. This is a learning process. I was very ignorant about calories and nutrition when I first started out. I read everything I could find to inform myself. I also had a check up with my doctor. I am completely healthy, but wanted a second opinion. Good luck! You can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • rocsings
    Options
    I believe your biggest issue is denial ... I don't think you've tried "everything" successfully and you seem to fall off when you don't see the results "you" want to see. I've been overweight most of my adult life and I had to come to terms with the fact that I enjoyed food a little too much. I don't believe we are predisposed to anything just because it's in the family.

Here's the deal ... I am a member of the YMCA and the kidzone (daycare) is open Mon - Thur until 8pm. Saturday's 8:30 - noon and Sunday's 2:30 - 5:30 pm. The park is free ... If you cancel the membership, purchase a stationary bike or treadmill; there just aren't many excuses I haven't said myself or heard. I lost 48 lbs in 2012 as a result of "NO MORE EXCUSES" ... I do the work and it is working for me ... we gain weight because we eat the wrong foods and we don't move our bodies. And yes yes yes ... I have a multi-nodular goiter (enlarged thyroid) with other issues ... Every day I can I work out ... every day I do my best to make good food choices, when I don't do my best and move forward and try again tomorrow.

Go to the doctor, but be honest with yourself and your doctor ... ask your doctor about phentermine and/or Topamax. You may just need a little jump start to get you going. I did use and still use my fitbit daily ... getting 10,000 steps per day is an AWESOME feeling ... I don't always use MFP, but my fitbit never leaves my arm. Just be real with yourself first and watch things change in your life ... none of us have the answers, we can only make suggestions to encourage you on this weight loss/gain journey. I wish you well ... Happy Holidays!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Yes..check with your doctor first.
    But I think a lot of what's going on is your "attempts" focus. Do something consistantly...long term. Not little bursts of effort. You need a long term lifestyle change, not another attempt at a diet. The best way to do that is by eating things you will be able to enjoy long term, not some company's stuff they can sell you. Eat real food, in healthy amounts. Its a bit more work. Takes planning and adjusting your outlook. But it works....and you CAN DO THIS!