best beach body program?

Options
So I am a beginner to living a healthier lifestyle. I am 80 pounds over what my ideal weight should be. I want to try a beach body program and my goal is to lose weight and get toned. I don't want to become too muscular. Which beach body program is the best to start?

Insanity?
P90X?
Turbo Fire?
T-25?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you do searches for all these- you'll find lots of useful information. Also google search P90x3- co I g out on Monday in the USA and also look at Jillian Michaells body revolution and Turbojam.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You need to set a calorie deficit and stick to it to lose weight. Any exercise programme will help you in achieving this. If you want to tone up your body I'm guessing any of the vids you have listed will start you off but for good results try some resistance training :-)

Good luck, hope you reach your dreams
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Save your money and don't do any of them yet!!! Given your situation I would start working out and lose a few pounds before starting any of those programs which can be hard on your body.

It's important to do something you enjoy like zumba, walking, elipitcal or an aerobic workout.

By the way I did P90X and lost 27 pounds in 90 days!!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I've done P90X 4 times, Insanity (and the Asylum) once and just did T25. They are all great, but provide different results. ALL are highly effective. BUT, I think overall P90X is the most effective if for no other reason than strength training is key to losing weight.
  • NaturallyCrowned
    Options
    I also want to lose around 80 pounds and I personally think that T25 is the best program. It is only 25min and the moves are not difficult to grasp. I have tried insanity and it was to hard on my knees, turbo fire is also good but if you have a hard time keeping up with dance moves then it will be a challenge. I have lost 12 pounds so far doing T25 and drinking shakeology which is the.
  • MMI12
    MMI12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time out to reply! Definitely helped me :)
  • fitpilotjake
    fitpilotjake Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Check out ChaLEAN Extreme and Chalean Johnson's other programs. Low weight and more geared towards toning and isolation exercises. I've had a lot of clients have great success with her stuff! Best of luck!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    My first program was t25 LOVED it, I then ordered turbo fire but can't keep up with the moves will probably give it another try later. I want to order t25 gamma and les mills combat. For me I need something structured. I love Zumba and still do it 2-4 days a week but I also need something g else. Also I have a Fitbit zip that keeps me really motivated as a matter a fact I am waiting on my replacement and haven't done as much without it. It's kind of my accountability factor. I also want to try chalene extreme.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Tai Cheng...because being able to move better now will pay huge dividends later.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have the Turbo Fire set at home. I started doing it and after 2 weeks I had pain in my ankles&knees, even doing the alternative version (without jumps). I also have about 70-80 pounds to lose. That said, I think it`s an amazing program!! And I still use the 30 minutes workout now, alternating it with other stuff. I might give the program a try once again once I`m down 30-40 pounds. Give it a try, Chalene is a great motivator! (the instructor)
  • hopeteeple
    Options
    I am going to do T25 the first of the year
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If time is a factor definitely T25 or the new P90X3 that comes out Dec 10th. T25 is 25 minutes each workout and P90X3 will be 30 minutes. Both are made for all fitness levels and have modified moves.

If you have 60-75+ minutes, any of the other programs mentioned above will work so find one that matches your interest level.

You definitely have to commit to eating healthy and creating that calorie deficit (though not starve ourself). Working out without proper nutrition will not yield results.

I wouldn't worry about getting muscular. I'm not sure why so many women think they will get too muscular lifting weights or working out. Believe me, muscular women work INCREDIBLY HARD, eat to build muscle, and lift very heavy to get the muscles you probably are looking to avoid.

Good luck on your fitness journey :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My personal favorite is body beast. I just like strength training more than cardio. But I use T25 to supplement my cardio. I like P90X and CLX as they are basic . P90X2 is nice but requires too much equipment.

Right now, I am doing T25 and adding 2 full body Beast workouts and abs work 3 days on top of T25. So it's doubles every day.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    My first program was t25 LOVED it, I then ordered turbo fire but can't keep up with the moves will probably give it another try later. I want to order t25 gamma and les mills combat. For me I need something structured. I love Zumba and still do it 2-4 days a week but I also need something g else. Also I have a Fitbit zip that keeps me really motivated as a matter a fact I am waiting on my replacement and haven't done as much without it. It's kind of my accountability factor. I also want to try chalene extreme.
    Lots of people find that if they do Turbojam first- it makes it easier to pick up the moves.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam was the first Beachbody program I ever did. I loved it, and started Turbo Fire after that, then Chalean Extreme because I loved her energy. Then I tried P90X, hated it. After that Insanity, which was killer in a great way. I felt so accomplished after each workout. I did LesMills Combat since I liked Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire so much. I really enjoyed that program as well. Now, I'm doing Focus T25, which I like quite a bit. I have also done Hip Hop Abs and Rockin' Body. Try out whichever one looks most fun to you.
  • motogsp
    motogsp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    With the amount of weight you want to lose. You may want to look into some of the beginner program from beach body. Like slim in 6, or power 90. Especially if you are not used to working out. Just my 2 cents
  • ness12346
    Options
    Hi there!

I think Insanity and P90X are not programs that really modify for beginners. I would suggest TurboFire (has low-impact modifications and is really fun!) if you're coordinated and can follow moves pretty easily, otherwise the choreography could be hard to follow.

Slim in 6 is a great program if you don't get bored of workouts easily, as you do one workout for a week, then a second workout for two weeks, and the third workout you do for three weeks. Other Beachbody programs have much more variety.

I would suggest T25 or P90X3 that is coming out this week. With the shorter workouts it's a great way to get into the habit of working out daily, and there are modifications for beginners. I also love love love Les Mills Combat - that's the program I'm doing right now. There is a modifier here too, I often follow the modifier if I'm getting too tired. If you enjoy martial arts, this might be the right program for you. The Combat workouts range from 30-60 minutes in length.
  • amina_a10
    amina_a10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have done Insanity and T25, and started Turbofire today. I don't have a ton of weight to lose, so maybe take this with a grain of salt.

I loved Insanity. It was what created my love for fitness, and my results were ridiculous. I actually only lost 2 lbs but I lost a lot of inches and was in awesome shape. Next, I did T25. It was like five steps back and the alpha phase didn't challenge me at all - I honestly wasn't the biggest fan of the program, because I prefer the longer workouts (yeah, I'm crazy). Beta was a little more challenging, but even then, not very. That being said, T25 sounds like it would be a good fit, because as mentioned, there is a modifier, and the moves are really easy. I started TurboFire today and have done a few of the workouts in the past week. I love it. Chalene is great, and it's a ton of fun.

So that is just my experience. :) As has already been mentioned, Insanity and Turbofire are very hard on your joints, even if you are young and in shape (which I am). If you are carrying lots of extra weight around, it may be extra difficult and do more harm than good.

As long as you are creating a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. The nice thing about these programs is that you can reuse them infinitely. So even if you buy a more challenging one now (such as Turbofire, which has a low impact modifier), you can use it again and again, and will see results even later when you are in better shape.
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love TurboFire. I started with Turbo kick at my gym, then bought DVDS for home. You can do modifications or as some have said start with Turbo jam. I have Insanity (never finished it) and hoping Santa will bring me T25 :) I love the music with Turbo fire and it made me feel less like I was working out vs Insanity. Good luck choosing!
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and going to be doing Ripped in 30. Love them, they can get a little boring but good for beginners. I've done Insanity before and it's great but long workouts and not so good for beginners.