My weight won't go below 146 lbs

Options
It hits that number and starts to go up until it gets to about 149 and then goes down. On and on for the last few months.

My diary is open so you can look at what I eat. I work out practically every day with varied routines from circuits, to HIIT, to strength, to jogging, to yoga and long walks.

I sleep 8 hours per night. I drink plenty of water. I eat clean foods only and I think I eat enough.

When I have posted here regarding this issue, people suggested I track calories even more carefully so, I did.

Then some suggested I change my work outs so, I did.

They suggested I eat more, I did, and that I eat less, I did.

WHAT AM I MISSING?

Please don't tell me this is the weight my body wants to be because I've weighed a lot less in the past so I know I can do this. I am losing weight in a healthy way but I feel I am missing something.

Please, please, help me out.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to weigh your food and measuring cups for free pouring liquids?

Do you enter your own recipes? Use the database entries with no asterisk for the most accurate numbers?

eta: I see a lot of quick add calories. Don't do that, actually enter what you ate.
  • brown46545
    brown46545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck before and I know how frustrating it can be. Recently I moved from measuring all of my food to actually weighing it to be more precise. Also, when I am stuck, I just start exercising more. There is no way that your body can be stuck at a weight forever - you just need to adjust what you are doing.

I also wear a fitbit to track my steps and calories burned (from steps). Maybe try something like that? Or if you wanted to be precise, a tracker that has a HRM that can accurately determine your calories burned. It has to be a case of not tracking your calories consumed (what you are eating) or calories burned (you think you are burning more than you are via exercise). I see some people post they have burned 600 calories from 2 miles walked. That is impossible.

Good luck. Hopefully you will get some good advice!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You're not eating at enough of a deficit or there is something medically amiss.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yes I use a digital scale. The quick add calories were for foods whose calorie amount was listed on the packet i.e. roasted almonds and some vegetables. I am very faithful to measuring on a digital scale because cups and spoons are equivalent to eyeballing for me.

I use a HRM when I work out to track calories burned. I know that these are approximations so I don't eat back ALL my exercise calories even after working out.

Yes I enter my own recipes, but as you can see, I don't eat many recipe-based foods, just the food itself, so it's even easier to measure.

I do want to adjust something as I know I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. Problem is I don't know what!

Yesterday I did a home workout and used fitnessblender. It was a challenging 1000 calorie (supposedly) burn workout. My HRM said I burned 570 calories...that's good, right? This morning the scale was up by 1.7 lbs. I understand it could be water weight, hormones, etc. but it is the story of my life these last few months.
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Have you had your thyroid levels checked?
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    You're not eating at enough of a deficit or there is something medically amiss.

How can I eat less that 1200 calories? That will mess up my body. I refuse to go below that. I've had blood work done and my numbers are all great. I've never had diabetes, high blood pressure, hormonal issues, thyroid problems, etc.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Yes I use a digital scale. The quick add calories were for foods whose calorie amount was listed on the packet i.e. roasted almonds and some vegetables. I am very faithful to measuring on a digital scale because cups and spoons are equivalent to eyeballing for me.

I use a HRM when I work out to track calories burned. I know that these are approximations so I don't eat back ALL my exercise calories even after working out.

Yes I enter my own recipes, but as you can see, I don't eat many recipe-based foods, just the food itself, so it's even easier to measure.

I do want to adjust something as I know I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. Problem is I don't know what!

Yesterday I did a home workout and used fitnessblender. It was a challenging 1000 calorie (supposedly) burn workout. My HRM said I burned 570 calories...that's good, right? This morning the scale was up by 1.7 lbs. I understand it could be water weight, hormones, etc. but it is the story of my life these last few months.

It's water weight for repairing your muscles. It's very common for weight to go up a couple of pounds after an especially strenuous workout.

How long have you been stalled? Have you taken any diet breaks?
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    How tall are you? Have you had your thyroid levels checked?

I'm 5.3" and my thyroid levels (as well as everything else) gets checked a couple of times a year. All within normal. I'm totally puzzled over this stalling aspect.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options

It's been this way since August of this year. What do you mean by diet breaks? Like eaten as much as I've wanted to for a while? No, I don't feel hungry enough to eat more than I need to. I mean, I haven't tried that as yet.

A nice person suggested I increase my calories as that may be the problem. It's possible.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

It's been this way since August of this year. What do you mean by diet breaks? Like eaten as much as I've wanted to for a while? No, I don't feel hungry enough to eat more than I need to. I mean, I haven't tried that as yet.

A nice person suggested I increase my calories as that may be the problem. It's possible.

A diet break is a 2 week period where you eat at maintenance. Here's an article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

I did it when I was stalled (around the same weight as you actually) and it was very helpful.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Perfect! Thank you. I will read it now.

I just want to get past this stuckness. I know it is mostly a mental game because I have lost a few inches but overall, I want to move past this number.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you get plenty of water. One thing that always helps me when I am stuck is to dramatically increase the amount of water I drink a day. I usually drink 80-100 ounces a day and will bump up to 150 ounces a day. After several days to a week of doing that the scale typically starts moving again.

Also having just one day where I go over on my calories helps. If you don't want to eat more volume, eat foods with more calories. I don't know the science behind it but having a day that surprises my body always gets things moving again.

Good luck. Hope you can break the plateau!
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Thank you, Laura. Will add a few cups of more water. I will also increase calories by 100 to see if that helps. I've been reading up on carb cycling and wondering if I would do well on it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    One problem with using the Quick Added calories instead of scanning or entering the information off of a package is that you can't analyze your nutrients. Practically the only time I use the Quick Add entry is for grazing at Costco.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    One problem with using the Quick Added calories instead of scanning or entering the information off of a package is that you can't analyze your nutrients. Practically the only time I use the Quick Add entry is for grazing at Costco.

I agree. I've used it twice only for things I knew but didn't want to have to search while using my phone. I agree that it can derail a person from goals.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options

A diet break is a 2 week period where you eat at maintenance. Here's an article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

I did it when I was stalled (around the same weight as you actually) and it was very helpful.

This. If you've been doing the same thing for a long time, shaking it up a little will usually help.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    personally i don't really look at any other nutrients then calories, and for a few quick adds it doesn't really matter.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    First off, I can't see how tall you are so it's possible that 146 is a healthy weight for you and that's where your body feels comfortable (personally I'm 5'7" and my body seems to like to stop right between 140 & 145). Second, if you've been exercising a lot it's possible that you've been gaining muscle and it's been hiding the fat loss from you. Have you measured yourself or noticed that your pants are more roomy?
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Do some serious weight training. What I mean by serious weight training is a weight training PROGRAM with progression. There are a lot of them on the internet (SL 5x5 etc) or better yet get a personal trainer if you are new to lifting. (new means you have less than 6 months experience of consistent weight training program.) Hope you get off your plateau.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    First off, I can't see how tall you are so it's possible that 146 is a healthy weight for you and that's where your body feels comfortable (personally I'm 5'7" and my body seems to like to stop right between 140 & 145). Second, if you've been exercising a lot it's possible that you've been gaining muscle and it's been hiding the fat loss from you. Have you measured yourself or noticed that your pants are more roomy?

Yes, I have. I've dropped a pant size and I'm tighter and stronger. I'm 5.3" (not tall) and I carry weight all over so not any particular shape. I'm either all big or all small!