Food swaps?

Options
So I love breakfast foods: like pancakes, french toast, waffles, etc. But syrup (and these foods themselves) are super calorie packed and so hard to fit in without going over on the calorie count.

Has anyone found any replacements for syrup that still pack a good taste? Or any other good food swap (this instead of that) in general?

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I like to take berries (especially blueberries) and either microwave or heat them on the stove until they become warm, sweet, syrupy deliciousness. So good on pancakes or french toast! Also, to get more nutrition bang for my buck with pancakes I try to keep them high protein by using recipes that call for greek yogurt, cottage cheese and/or protein powder. Oat flour is also higher in protein and delicious in pancakes!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Warm fruit, like berries with a little sugar free syrup. I too love those types of breakfasts and had to make them an occasional treat. I could eat like that everyday. Unfortunately when I did, I got fat. I wouldn't think French toast would be too bad. Bread, eggs and a little milk. Add some warm fruit with a drizzle of syrup and it should be high in nutrition.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast foods for random meals all of the time! I do make a lot of sweetener swaps, use coconut milk, etc... but I wouldn't say they're intrinsically unhealthy by any means.

I make a lot of toppings using PB2. Sometimes, I'll simmer half a banana, 1/8th a cup of coconut milk, a tbsp of PB2, and some cinnamon on the stove for a couple of minutes to put on top. Other times, I'll mix together pumpkin with half a serving of PB2 for my pumpkin french toast. I've done berries and a small portion of microwaved chocolate chips before as well. Apple and cinnamon microwaved for a couple of minutes is delicious. Whipped cream isn't the healthiest, but also is lower calorie in moderation (measure it out) as well.
  • pacsqueen
    Options
    One of the things I do with stuff like this (especially salad dressing but it works for things like syrup too) is to have it in a separate bowl and I dip my fork into it and then pick up my food with the fork. The amount of dressing/syrup is substantially decreased but the flavor is still there. You will be surprised how well it works!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There's sugar free syrup, but... I haven't tried it, lol. Syrup really isn't the only issue with those foods anyway... they never fill me up, except protein pancakes, and I still use syrup on those.
  • sonytomtp
    sonytomtp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There's sugar free syrup, but... I haven't tried it, lol. Syrup really isn't the only issue with those foods anyway... they never fill me up, except protein pancakes, and I still use syrup on those.
    For me, and I expect others, sugar free syrup is hard to find or very expensive in the UK and many other countries outside the US to my understanding.
    I'd suggest going with a strong tasting fruit like mentioned above, perhaps some berries.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I once found a low cal zucchine pancake recipe. It tasted as good as normal pancakes to me.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I also really enjoy these foods but have made it a practice to make them as nutritious as possible by using fruit, nuts or vegetables in them. By doing this the use of syrup is needed much less. Nothing better than pumpkin pecan pancakes, or peach walnut. When using frozen fruit I use the juice as syrup by thickening it.