Trainer vs weight loss

Options
Can a trainer alone help you loose weight or is it a combination of what you eat and trainer?

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    my personal trainer tells me as long as you are eating right about 80% of the time. which seems about right to me. There's definitely no point in training if you then go through the drive through mcD's on the way home.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You still have to eat right. My trainer helps keep me accountable, but ultimately if you don't eat well you won't lose weight.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about how much you eat compared to how much your body burns. A trainer can get you on the right path to weight loss, but you can also do research yourself and save money.

In the end it really is about calories/what you eat.

ETA: Having a trainer does not mean you will automatically lose weight. They can be good for accountability. You are still the one doing the work.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A trainer is a very effective tool in becoming fit. Through exercise you will eventually lose some weight, but the real benefit here is muscle growth and endurance. Your caloric intake will dictate scale weight loss. However if you are going to workout be sure you are eating the right kinds of calories. Proteins, carbs and fats in the proper ratio for your goals.

good luck
  • chipperamanda
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses, I will continue to make sure that I eat right and get the right amount of calories. Noticed that my inches are getting small and there is muscle tone, I just now need to watch the food intake and the right food choices.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Well if you were maintaining before, start exercising with a trainer and your eating stays the same, you'll probably lose weight as the calorie burn will create a deficit. However, what a lot of people do is without even realising it, they start to eat more. Which is why many people exercise and don't lose weight. Same goes for if you were eating in a surplus beforehand, after exercise you may still be in a surplus or maintenance depending on how much you exercise.

You don't need a trainer for this though, if you have the motivation, confidence and knowledge of basic exercises, you could do it yourself

The best / easiest way is a combination of both diet and exercise. Ultimately though, you just need to make sure you're creating a calorie deficit.
  • chipperamanda
    Options
    Thanks - Yes I was eating more food with my trainer and did gain weight. Now, I eat the same and weight is coming off. When I am done with this trainer will go on my own. Needed trainer to give me a jump start.