My weight won't go below 146 lbs

Options

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Do some serious weight training. What I mean by serious weight training is a weight training PROGRAM with progression. There are a lot of them on the internet (SL 5x5 etc) or better yet get a personal trainer if you are new to lifting. (new means you have less than 6 months experience of consistent weight training program.) Hope you get off your plateau.

I hope so too.

Been weight training for 6 weeks now and have seen a big difference. I go 4 times a week and use TRX, ropes, do deadlifts, weighted squats, leg presses, etc. I love it. I am curious to see what my body will look like in 6 months.

I guess persistence and patience are key but I am positive it is my eating that needs some tweaking. I probably need to eat a couple of hundred calories more but I'm also nervous about it undoing my hard work so far. I've lost almost 115 pounds and I really need to remember that.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Is there a problem with maintaining between 146-149?

Because it sounds like you've nailed it to me.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Is there a problem with maintaining between 146-149?

Because it sounds like you've nailed it to me.

It's not the appropriate weight for me at 5.3" and by that I mean I really do need to get down another 15 lbs to just feel healthier, run longer distance, and get more stress off my joints.

I'm not pursuing vanity; that never was my objective. I want to be in the best shape I can be to protect my joints, mobility, energy, etc.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to say about your diet except it looks pretty good (perhaps get in a little more fruit and veg each day?).

I see you don't track sodium so ensuring you're not too high in salt, and upping your water intake a bit seems to be the way to go.

Also recalculate your calorie goals every 5 lbs or so.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    I'm not sure what to say about your diet except it looks pretty good (perhaps get in a little more fruit and veg each day?).

I see you don't track sodium so ensuring you're not too high in salt, and upping your water intake a bit seems to be the way to go.

Thank you. I needed the encouragement:flowerforyou:
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Do some serious weight training. What I mean by serious weight training is a weight training PROGRAM with progression. There are a lot of them on the internet (SL 5x5 etc) or better yet get a personal trainer if you are new to lifting. (new means you have less than 6 months experience of consistent weight training program.) Hope you get off your plateau.

I hope so too.

Been weight training for 6 weeks now and have seen a big difference. I go 4 times a week and use TRX, ropes, do deadlifts, weighted squats, leg presses, etc. I love it. I am curious to see what my body will look like in 6 months.

I guess persistence and patience are key but I am positive it is my eating that needs some tweaking. I probably need to eat a couple of hundred calories more but I'm also nervous about it undoing my hard work so far. I've lost almost 115 pounds and I really need to remember that.

Awesome! Losing that much weight is an incredible feat! Weight training is definitely the way to go then. I did cardio to lose most of my weight too and now I am switching to weight training to lose the last 10. People will say "you are gaining muscle therefore you are not losing weight" that is NOT true. You cannot gain 1 lb of muscle per 1 lb of fat lost. If you are doing that then you have discovered a million dollar bodybuilding secret! Seeing your discipline (you are a lot better at it than me) you will succeed. Good luck!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I hope so too.

Awesome! Losing that much weight is an incredible feat! Weight training is definitely the way to go then. I did cardio to lose most of my weight too and now I am switching to weight training to lose the last 10. People will say "you are gaining muscle therefore you are not losing weight" that is NOT true. You cannot gain 1 lb of muscle per 1 lb of fat lost. If you are doing that then you have discovered a million dollar bodybuilding secret! Seeing your discipline (you are a lot better at it than me) you will succeed. Good luck!

You're probably not gaining muscle but if you're like a lot of us, introducing weight training caused water retention. You did say you're losing inches. I say be patient and keep doing what you're doing. The scale will 'catch up' soon, if you're like me. And if you've lost that much weight, sometimes the body just wants to plateau for a while. Things will change. Pay attention to the numbers. You don't necessarily need to eat more due to adding resistance training, unless you feel like it.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    I increased my carbs by way more than I am used to and I feel sick. I upped my calories by 200 also. I'm willing to try and change my diet to make this budge. I'm not used to eating 250gr of carbs in one day; my stomach is so distended :(

I wish I knew what macros to set then I'd just follow IIFYM and be done with it.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I would eat at maintenance for the festive period and then start afresh next year.
  • djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep or under a lot of stress. Those are two things that can affect weight loss. Also, I've heard of people consuming too much sodium.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue for literally over a year..... how old are you? As we get older, our metabolism slows down quite a bit. I'm almost 48, and if I didn't count calories and exercise fairly consistently, I'd be gaining. I did read an article though, a long time ago, that our bodies do have a natural "resting" place, so to speak. So, I want to start to focus on burning fat and toning and semi-ignore the scale and see where that gets me.....
    Good luck to you!
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I've missed it, but what is your body fat?

I'm 5'3.5" and when I was in high school I was very athletic and had a ton of muscle on my frame. My weight was happy at 145, but because I had a lot of muscle, my body fat percentage was low and I was in a perfectly healthy range for our height. I was also much smaller than 145 sounds for that height. Nobody ever guessed my real weight because I looked like I was more like 130.

Could it be something like that if you are working out as much as you are?

It wouldn't explain why you are not losing with a deficit, but it might explain why your body is working so hard to hold the weight.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    David: I sleep 8 hours per night and don't have sleeping issues i.e. apnea or waking up often or insomnia, thank goodness. I don't eat any processed food so that cuts out a whole lot of sodium. I don't salt my food a lot either. Stress is a tough one to measure. I may think I'm not stressed but my body/mind may feel otherwise. It's hard to say.

Joan: I'm 46, which puts us in the same age bracket!

Kat: I don't know my body fat exactly but it's not in the 20s for sure. Somewhere around 34% is more likely. I don't know where to get it measured. I don't go to a fancy gym with lots of trainers and services.

I think after a loss of 115 lbs maybe my body has just stopped losing weight. I'm determined to not give up. My eating is very sustainable for the long run and I mix up my workouts enough to keep them interesting.

It's confusing because there are so many weight loss theories and, at some point, they become conflicting. I am not sure what I need to be following, how much to eat, how much of what to eat, when to work out, etc. Something needs to change but I'm not sure what.

For now I will see if eating a bit more helps. There's also carb cyclng to try. I dunno......I'm open to suggestions.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to weigh your food and measuring cups for free pouring liquids?

Do you enter your own recipes? Use the database entries with no asterisk for the most accurate numbers?

eta: I see a lot of quick add calories. Don't do that, actually enter what you ate.

This. Also, where are you getting the estimates for your calorie burns from? They look overestimated to me.

Congratulations on your 115 pounds weight loss too! That's amazing!
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I increased my carbs by way more than I am used to and I feel sick. I upped my calories by 200 also. I'm willing to try and change my diet to make this budge. I'm not used to eating 250gr of carbs in one day; my stomach is so distended :(

I wish I knew what macros to set then I'd just follow IIFYM and be done with it.

I've read 40% carb /30% fat / 30% protein and that's where I've set mine. I found this link very helpful and keep it in my bookmarks for easy reference.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

and if you feel uncomfortable and distended then you probably are getting too many carbs now.
  • bflytilidy
    Options
    Same thing happened to me the last time I lost weight. The solution was cutting back exercise. If you work out everyday, your body never gets to rest and let go of that whole glycogen/repair thing it's supposed to do. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but since you've tried other things, that's what I would do. Have 2 or 3 no workout days. No harm in trying.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    It happened again. Friday I was 146 and today I am 149.5. What changed? Who the heck knows. The only thing I haven't measured with my digital scale is the number of breaths I've taken!

This has been my pattern for the last few months. I go from 146 to 150 and back to 146.

I usually take one day off where I do no workout at all. I'll take two days off this week and see if it makes a difference.

I know (and you can see from my food diary) that I haven't eaten food to warrant a 3.4 gain in 3 days!

SLL: i get my estimates from my HRM and I am pretty conservative about them. I don't eat back all my exercise calories just to make sure I don't go over. I eat between 50 -70%.

It doesn't really matter whether I eat them all back or not. eat over or under, do intermittent fasting, drink more or less water. I've tried it all since August. This is just the pattern my body seems to be following (146 to 150) and it won't quit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and will again mention the quick adds...but that being said this is what I saw

A lot of "cup" measuments, a lot of "Med" measurments which just wont cut it.

As well I noticed one meal you have 6oz of chicken at 186 calories no....just no 100g has 231 and 6oz = 170g = almost 400 calories.

Sweet potatoes 1.5 cups
    Medium Banana

One other day I noticed 4oz ground beef 93% lean...170 calories again...no

3 oz of ground beef 95% is 164 calories so add another oz to that and you are up to 218 calories.

You from what I can see are eating more then you think and probably over estimating burns on top of it.

500 calories for 1hour of circut training...I weigh more then you and only burn about 143 in 25mins...on an advanced level circut which kicks my butt.

I know you said you only eat back a portion but...but if you eat back 50-70% of the 500 you are eating back appx 250-350 of 500 which is probably more then you burned....appx 200....

HRM without chest straps are well...not great...with a chest strap better but not for circut training...basically for steady state cardio as circut training involves to much other stuff.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    stop eating at 6, avoid compelx carbs and starchy carbs and sugar for dinner.... dinner should be lots of protien and veggies... u will notice the weight drop
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm on a weight training schedule similar to you I think, but I have a personal trainer. After figuring out my BMR etc we set my goals at 1600 for net calories with 120g carbs, 62g fat, and 140g of protein per day. I'm 5'4" and I weigh about 15lbs more than you but this ratio seems to be working for me. I also find that when my carbs are much over 120 I don't feel good at all.