Sodium

Options
I've been using MFP for a couple of weeks and just love it here. I've been peaking at people's food diaries and notice alot of people watch sodium as well as fat, calories, etc.

So I added it to my food diary and plugged in what my meals for today are and holy cow I'm waaaay over but still under in calories and fat?

Can someone explain sodium to me?

Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm a former Weight Watcher junkie and counting points and calories is all I know.

Thanks,

Replies

• albredera
    Options
    I've been using MFP for a couple of weeks and just love it here. I've been peaking at people's food diaries and notice alot of people watch sodium as well as fat, calories, etc.

So I added it to my food diary and plugged in what my meals for today are and holy cow I'm waaaay over but still under in calories and fat?

Can someone explain sodium to me?

Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm a former Weight Watcher junkie and counting points and calories is all I know.

Thanks,

be aware of processed foods.... most processed foods are high in sodium
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    It's not a dumb question, there are a lot of people on here who don't pay attention to sodium and I think that's a big mistake :)

As far as weight loss is concerned, too much sodium makes you retain water and that reflects in a higher number on the scale. If you have a high-sodium day, you need to up your water level that day (and probably for 1-2 days after) to help flush it out. MFP's recommendation is 2500mg, I went lower and set mine to 2000mg.

As far as health-wise, sodium is bad for your body...mostly as it relates to heart disease. This article from the American Heart Association does a good job of explaining all the basics: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4708
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    Sodium helps regulate your blood pressue, however, too much sodium can cause hypertension along with other side effects.

I get HORRIBLE chest pains (feels like a heart attack) when I have too much sodium. So I dropped my daily alotment from 2500 mgs to 1500/day and I feel much better! My headaches are gone, too! :)

Everyone needs a little sodium, but it seems like EVERYTHING has salt in it. (It is also a preservative.)

Check labels, some breads, frozen meals, soups, cheeses, olives, salad dressing are all high in sodium...

HTH... GL
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    Sodium causes you to retain water. Water retention = weight gain.

Excess sodium over a long period of time could cause high blood pressure.
  • losingitwithjess
    Options
    you body only needs so much sodium per day I want to say like 2300 a day.. too much sodium is bad for you.. it can raise your blood pressure your cholesterol, and increase your water weight.. so make sure if you eat a lot of sodium that you drink a lot of water and then sweat it all out.. it will keep you from looking bloated..

Eat all organic unprocessed foods and do not cook or use salt.. find alternative spices to kick up the taste of food.. You will feel and look so much better and you will drop so much weight.. you will see...

Good Luck and great job staying under cals and fat!!!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the daily consumption for an average adult is 2,500. I've been shooting for about 1,500 and feel a whole lot better because of it. Most canned foods, including veggies and soups are super high in sodium in my opinion. However, the food industry is changing. Look for low sodium, reduced sodium or no salt added on canned foods. Then if you need to add some salt, use sea salt, it's lower in sodium than regular salt, but keep in mind that there are plenty of herbs and spices that you can add without going crazy on the salt. I choose fresh foods whenever I can to control my sodium. Good luck!
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of salt I never cook with it but I'm SHOCKED at how much sodium is in the foods I do eat.

Holy wowsa! Thanks for all the great info I'm not only helping myself but also my family. My blood pressure has always been right on target but my husband has borderline high blood pressure this could help him as well.
  • IAmDanMarshall
    IAmDanMarshall Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ what albredera said.

I try to stay under 1500-1800mg of sodium per day. If I eat out at ALL, that day is pretty much a loss regardless of how well I actually eat out. For example, I went to Aladdin's (a Mediterranean restaurant) and had what was a large lunch for me (~500-600 calories). While I still came in under for the day, my sodium was over 4000mg! 3000 of that was from lunch. Frozen dinners and prepackaged meals are also usually pretty high in sodium, as are soups. It's used as a preservative in pretty much all packaged foods.

Excess sodium in the diet can cause high blood pressure (which can lead to other cardiovascular problems), and also can cause you to retain water weight, which can discourage you during the weight loss process because you may be THINNER if you measure yourself, but heavier on the scale.