Bread Addicts Support Group? :P

Options
My post count is low, but don't be fooled, this is far from my first MFP rodeo. I've climbed on and fallen off the wagon more times than I care to count. xD

I have a problem with bread. Specifically warm, toasty, buttered bread. Or with garlic butter. Or marinara sauce. Pizza. Etc.

Trouble is, I have a terrible wheat intolerance. It gives me migraines if I eat it for sustained periods of time, and I can't 'just have one' - once I start there is no stopping. I know it makes me sickly and I know that quitting it makes me feel better BUT IT'S SO DAMN DELICIOUS. I can't stay away.

So, just don't keep it in the house?!?! Well, I recently moved in with my girlfriend and she loves bread, cookies, sandwiches, pasta, crackers, etc. She eats like 90% refined grain carbs. :P I'm pretty sure she IS a delicious loaf of bread.

Anyone else in a similar boat? Love bread despite bread making you sick/fat/depressed/migrainey? Is there is a Bread Addicts Anonymous I can join? Heh

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I love bread and for the last few years I have made my own with a machine it takes literally two minutes effort, it was not the bread that made me sick but the additives that are added to keep it fresh etc.

I eat it warm with butter and sometimes cheese but stick within my limits so it never a problem.
  • fattofit84
    Options
    Hello my name is Jen and i am a bread addict :)
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have celiac's and I can't eat wheat or gluten but I'll be damned if that keeps from eating it though. One would think with all the negative side effects and the awful symptoms of my celiac's I would stop...but nope. I could write sonnets of Shakespearean depth about my love of bread.
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I loveeeeee bread. I'm pretty sure I would punch someone if they got in the way of my toast with butter
  • cmdoiy
    cmdoiy Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a weakness for good bread: sourdough, baguette, bagels, rolls, cranberry and walnut bread, cinnamon raisin bread, croissants...It's gotten to the point where I can't buy a loaf of bread or else I will eat it all by myself. I have devoured the bulk of a loaf on my drive home from work. Bread is a dangerous thing for me. But it is so good! Sigh...
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Substitute potatoes? Baked potato with butter or garlic butter. Pizza skins. OK I'm no help.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I like bread, and I have struggled to keep it in moderation and not destroy my macros. Fortunately, I came upon a great bread -- Mahler's Flax-Soy low carb bread for diabetics. It has GREAT macros -- 85 calories, 10 protein, 3 fat, 6 carbs (5 fiber 1 sugar). They also have a variation of that bread with Cinnamon and Walnuts. My local store does not always keep it in stock, so I just ordered a bunch of loaves directly from the bakery. (Geez, I sound like an advertisement.)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Gluten free bread. Problem solved. Rudi's makes a really good one.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Get a bread maker and some of that spelt flour. Fresh warm buttered migraine-free bread whenever you crave it.
  • TheJhazminShow
    Options
    I've tried all the Whole Foods gluten free options like Rudi's and so on and they just aren't as good. Yesterday we went to a local bakery called Bread & Cie and we purchased a fresh baked loaf of honey whole-wheat and it is divine - fluffy and chewy inside, crusty and crunchy outside. :3 Doesn't even need to be toasted. Take from bag, insert in mouth. Haha.

I've never tried spelt flour bread, and I don't know that getting a bread maker would be in my best interest. Nothing I love more than fresh baked bread still warm and drizzled with butter or olive oil and herbs.

OH LAWDY.

I am so glad I'm not the only one.

Re: Potatoes. I like those too but they don't cut it when I'm wanting bread. I think toasted buttered bread is a childhood comfort thing for me, there's just something about it!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, gluten is what makes bread soft and fluffy. Unfortunately.
  • dg2003
    dg2003 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking that there must be others suffering and struggling with this addiction. Its very much like being addicted to drugs. Only problem is that the FDA has put bread, and all the carbs and chemicals into everything and when you try to go out to eat, there is not one thing on the menu that isnt breaded, or is some sort of bread in it. Its so frustrating that I almost think I just need to be a vegan and eat veggies only for the rest of my life but reality is...that alone makes me weak too.

Nice to know i'm not alone. :)
  • dg2003
    dg2003 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried ezekial bread? Thats usually a pretty good alternative for me. Especially the raisin bread. There is no gluten and it has protein. Its made with spelt, beans and other ingredients that are good for you.