Describe what finally made it stick for you?

Options
I am your classic yo yo dieter. Lose 5lbs then gain it back plus a few lbs.

For those with a similar pattern ...but who finally did lose the weight what made it different for you the time you were successful? Describe what you did differently and what finally drove you to stick to it and lose the weight?

Also if you have kids and a demanding job would love to hear your stories...

Thanks...

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    If you're tired of failing, quit giving up.

That's pretty much it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Big picture thinking and understanding that there is no finish line...health, nutrition, fitness, etc are lifetime endeavors...you don't stop just because you've reached some arbitrary number on the scale. You can always be more awesome than you are right now.

People yo-yo because they tend to focus soley on some arbitrary number on the scale...there goals are focused soly on this random and arbitrary number rather than actual health, nutrition, and fitness. They reach some number on the scale and just stop getting their nutrition and fitness on.

When your goals are actually health, nutrition, and fitness related...well, looking awesome and fit and being at a healthy weight and physically fit, etc are just natural bi-products of that lifestyle.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    What finally made it stick for me was a few different things. I hit 45, I was overweight (228), had sore knees, back, hip, and feet. I was facing 50 (which suddenly looms dark and furious when you're my age) and I was scared I would survive my 50s. I didn't want to just survive, I wanted to thrive through my 50s. With the help of a great friend, we worked out a spreadsheet of workouts (doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution), signed up on MFP, and just did it. I committed to being a hot 50-year old.

Day one, I puked afterwards, day two I cried, but as my friend points out, I didn't die. Then, something happened on day three...my endorphins kicked in and I FELT GREAT! I didn't want that feeling to go away!

I'm on day 21 and I'm not looking back. My clothes are feeling loose, the inches are melting, and I found a pair of pants I want as a reward when I reach my goal. It's hard work, but I found what makes me focus and work hard. It's different for everyone, but everyone has something!

You can do it!!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    My health was suffering - tired of being tired!

First I joined a gym, then I changed my eating by listening to my body. When you start working out and struggle through 15 minutes and your body is aching for nutrition it starts getting clearer - day by day!

My change in eating started with the removal of pasta, bread and rice from my diet and eating vegetables, fruit and protein, while working out daily and increasing my level of activity. Little things add up, like getting out of line at the store for that forgotten item on the other side of the store :smile: I still have sweets but I am more selective in what type of sweets/junk I want in my food plan.

I was working and attending school for a period of time and fitting in the gym and homework and cooking all my meals - I work in a law firm will call stress level medium- high, but I have learned how to take a walk or go to the gym when the stress gets to me, instead of looking for something to crunch on!

The better you start feeling the easier it gets to stick to it, this does not mean there are not times when I don't workout or eat over my intended calories but I take those times and moment for me learn what triggered it and find other ways to combat it the next time it happens.
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    Habit is everything. Just get in the habit of eating the same stuff everyday and going to work out at the same time everyday. If it becomes part of your daily routine, you will no longer have to think about the decision to live healthy, it will be programmed into your daily activity.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    To start, I do not have any kids, but I work full time, 6 months of this year I had 2 jobs and I've been in school all year. I've lost 54 pounds and I am NOT going to stop. I did the yo-yo thing too. Tried diets, pills, anything. What made me stick to it was thoughts of my future. I see my grandmother having health problems and my parents were over weight as well and began to get high blood pressure among other things. Also, I got in a serious relationship with my best friend. We now plan to get married and have kids and just the thoughts of my future with those kids helped me stick to it. My goal is to have a strong, healthy body before we decide to have kids so that I can continue to eat well during pregnancy, and teach my future kids about a healthy lifestyle. I learned how to cook last year too so I could teach them. So I guess, I'm doing it for my family and I. I want to see their kids and run around with them. I don't want to have all those common health problems that come with old age if I can prevent them. If you can just picture your goal, and start a simple routine, you can stick to it. I think a lot of people just try and go balls to the wall when they start a diet. That's really hard. If you want to be healthy, it's a lifestyle, not a diet, and that's how I think of my every day life. I only have one body and one life, I don't want to mess that up any more.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 lbs between school work and kids last year. Put me at 100 lbs over healthy weight. I was depressed and actually went to a weight loss surgery consultation. I qualified, but only if I maintained my 225 weight for 3 more months. I remember my moment came as I walked away from the consultation. I feared I'd might start having suicidal thoughts if I had to maintain that weight and my unhappiness for that long. I decided to dedicate myself for those 3 months to losing the most weight possible via food and exercise.

I'm now down 37 lbs. And no longer depressed. I have one more week and I'll hit the 3 month mark. I'm going to continue and not yoyo because I want to get as far away from that bad mental place as possible. It finally clicked that no food is worth doing that to my body or mind.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Short answer: I made it easy on myself, meaning I made it sustainable for the long haul.

1. I set the bar low: a half-pound loss per week. (Over 66 weeks I averaged three-quarters of a pound/week. That includes faster loss in the beginning, slowing as I got closer to goal.)
    2. I used what I call "bridge foods" to deal with cravings. Here's an example:
    130219-substitutions.jpg
    Raisins gave me the sweetness I craved but not the fat of chocolate. However, they were still calorie-dense. I then moved from raisins to grapes and typically eat two cups of grapes after my workout.
    3. I kept powering through plateaus, including my longest plateau of 48 days. I did not further restrict, but kept following MFP. I kept doing the right things and waited everything out as my weight fluctuated up-down-up-down-up-down. I might feel impatient, but I never got discouraged. I kept telling myself that I'm in a much better place now than before I started all this.
    4. I made fitness as easy on myself as possible. I'm a caregiver and work out at home, on a mini-bike that's right here by my desk. Everything is within reach: equipment, music, water, towel.
    5. I take everything one day/meal/minute at a time. Recently I missed a workout session because we spent five hours in the ER. Fortunately things turned out well and I got right back to my schedule.
    6. I'm in this for health, period. As a friend told me, "If you go down, you both go down." It's that basic. I have much more stamina than before I started, and I'm in a much better place emotionally. That in itself is priceless.

I describe my method in more detail in my MFP-1-year-anniversary entry from this past September:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1095703-mfp-1-year-anniversary
  • iknowit
    iknowit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is just maintenance. There is no dieting, short-term physical activity. This is a life long process for me. And I am also a walking model for my business - so my profits are attached to this!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    In terms of motivation, I just decided I didn't want to be fat any ore. I'd had enough. I decided to do whatever it took. I made a commitment to myself to get healthy. Actually, I did that about 6 months before I stated losing weight, but I had some other stuff to deal with before I tackled the weight. I just decided I wanted to be healthy.

In practical terms, I made new habits. I realised that going on a restrictive regime wasn't gong to last very long, so I only made such changes as I knew I could live with. The big changes were portion control and becoming active. Exercise is now habit. Counting calories is habit (and one I have yet to kick, although I intend to one day.) Attempting to meet my nutritional goals is habit. Otherwise, not much has changed. I still eat all my favourite foods, still go out for dinner/drinks if I want to, and I don't force myself to do hours of exercise I hate. So, the key for me was creating new habits, and making a healthier lifestyle that is still enjoyable enough to live with and not need to "fall off the wagon".

ETA: and just to note, I didn't give up bread, or pasta, or switch chocolate with grapes. I just adjusted portion sizes and started paying more attention to the nutrients I get each day.
  • CBell223
    CBell223 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with JesterMFP. You need to do this in a calm, enjoyable, painless way so that you're not clinging on with the tips of your fingernails. Find a way to live a little healthier every day, that you enjoy and can make a life long change.
    At first, I didn't really believe that I could lose weight unless I was miserable and hungry. But I've found that I can. I am currently more focused on living healthy and being sure that I don't lose a single pound unless I'm comfortable and convinced that it won't come back. If I'm feeling deprived or hungry or over exhausted, it's not a good loss because you know it's coming back.
    Don't push or get too extreme. It's about maintenance and enjoying the journey and working with your body rather than fighting it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!