Eating Disorder

Options
I have been watching a show on E lately and it's about eating disorders. It has me wondering if I have my own disorder. I think about food all the time, and when I cheat, I really really cheat. I am still sick from the amount of food I ate last night! It's like my mind goes out of control and I am thinking about how much food I can eat. I never make myself throw up or starve myself, honestly sometimes I wish I would. Instead I stuff myself and am so uncomfortable. Like I said food constantly is on my brain. Does anyone else feel like this or am I nuts?

Replies

• amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    Trust me you are NOT alone! It's called binge eating and if it persists or happens regularly you could be suffering from Binge Eating Disorder. I've dealt with it as a recovered anorexic. Extreme to extreme, huh? lol. I used to binge up to 8,000 calories in one sitting (this was when i was still underweight, so i'm sure part of it was my body loading up because it thought it would starve again). now i don't binge nearly that bad, but i do still struggle. If you have been faithfully counting every calorie for a while, that could be a source of your problem and you may just need a month or so where you don't count calories and you literally just eat whatever, whenever, and try to listen to your body, but if you feel too full, you eliminate the guilt. This has helped me. The first week, I did binge a lot and i felt gross. but i didn't let myself feel guilty and just went with it and it really has helped a lot. Food can't be such a big deal. it's just food. message me if you ever need support or advice :)
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle this way before I figured out how to balance my macros. How is your balance of carbs and protein? More protein and less carbs (ESPECIALLY grain based) really helps me. :flowerforyou:

I always wondered about myself too. I had what I think of as exercise bulimia. I'd scarf and then instead of puking, would purge by working out at high intensity and high impact 2 or 3 hours a day. Now I have messed up knees to thank myself for :sick: MEH!

It's sad how twisted our modern relationship with food and exercise can become.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You are NOT nuts.....Binge Eating is more common that anyone wants us to believe! I really agree with amg_89.....Sometimes counting every calorie or bite that you take will make you feel like you need to binge! Taking a break regularly isn't such a bad idea....It's a fine line between making conscious eating decisions and focusing on healthy choices, and making food too big a deal. I try to think of food as the fuel that my "machine" (aka. my body) needs to keep going.
  • Raina0512
    Options
    What's Eating You

I'm addicted to the show, and to eating. You're definately not alone. :flowerforyou:
  • CoachSarahJohnson
    Options
    I don't know if it is a disorder or not but I feel like it is. I find myself asking the same question. Is something wrong with me? On the other hand maybe you and I are the only ones in our circle of people who admit it. I also think about food ALL the time. Especially now that I quit smoking. I could have just eaten and am already planning what I'll eat next. Especially at night or when no one is around (husband). I have no solution as to how to change it but you should know you are not alone. Sometimes I think that it is because I worry too much about what other people think so I eat smaller, healthier foods in front of people but when I'm alone it is my chance to just be me and give in. (halloween candy) I don't eat too many BAD things I just eat A LOT. I see it as a HUGE weakness and it drives me crazy afterwards so then the next day I am at the gym for 2 hours thinking about what I just did to myself the night before. It's a big cycle. Even with this issue I have maintained a 5'3/130 status but I am not allowing myself to lose my last 10 because of my poor choices. I know what to do but don't do it. I haven't found out how to say no to myself without feeling deprived or mad that I have to say no at all. Good luck to you. I hope we are able to find the will to walk away.
  • beanface25
    Options
    You are not alone by any means! I've been chatting with my PCP about my weight issues and where I struggle the most. We've determined that I have an Over Eating disorder! It was like a slap in the face at first. When you hear eating disorder you automatically start thinking of anorexia, bulimia, etc. I never thought that my constant need for food or never being able to stop eating when I'm full could be considered an eating disorder. But, the more and more I've thought about it, the more it has sunk in and feels true. I'm currently working up the courage to attend an Over Eater's Anonymous class. But to make a long story short I too feel the same way...a lot!

94811.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle this way before I figured out how to balance my macros. How is your balance of carbs and protein? More protein and less carbs (ESPECIALLY grain based) really helps me. :flowerforyou:

I always wondered about myself too. I had what I think of as exercise bulimia. I'd scarf and then instead of puking, would purge by working out at high intensity and high impact 2 or 3 hours a day. Now I have messed up knees to thank myself for :sick: MEH!

I would love to see what your day looks like. You sound a lot like me. :smile:
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Trust me you are NOT alone! It's called binge eating and if it persists or happens regularly you could be suffering from Binge Eating Disorder. I've dealt with it as a recovered anorexic. Extreme to extreme, huh? lol. I used to binge up to 8,000 calories in one sitting (this was when i was still underweight, so i'm sure part of it was my body loading up because it thought it would starve again). now i don't binge nearly that bad, but i do still struggle. If you have been faithfully counting every calorie for a while, that could be a source of your problem and you may just need a month or so where you don't count calories and you literally just eat whatever, whenever, and try to listen to your body, but if you feel too full, you eliminate the guilt. This has helped me. The first week, I did binge a lot and i felt gross. but i didn't let myself feel guilty and just went with it and it really has helped a lot. Food can't be such a big deal. it's just food. message me if you ever need support or advice :)

samesies :) I am a recovered (well I don't think you can ever be fully recovered) anorexic. I still obsess about food to the point that I feel like it's still controling me... now it's making sure I'm eating enough.. so yeah..

I go on binges all the time still... it's hard.. have to hold your head up and just press through them..

people don't understand why you can't stop, its the same with anorexics.. they wonder why you can't just open your mouth and eat.. it's a lot more mentally than they seem to understand.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

I do this too! I will binge on my cheat meal then feel like i have to burn a crazy amount of calories to make up for it
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's called binge eating disorder and I believe is recognized as a class of eating disorders.

It's definitely something you should try to get under control. Have you looked into counseling?

I don't think it's as deadly as anorexia and bullimia, but it can certainly mess with your quality of life.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It's called binge eating disorder and I believe is recognized as a class of eating disorders.

It's definitely something you should try to get under control. Have you looked into counseling?

I don't think it's as deadly as anorexia and bullimia, but it can certainly mess with your quality of life.

let alone a bank account..
    ugh last time i binged... umm tuesday gr.. spend $150 on food.. and ate it all in one sitting.. i was thinking of going back and plugging in the calories and seeing exactaly what i had eaten.
  • doris_day
    Options
    I lost 9 pounds since I started on MFP. I was so happy - and then I did a whole evening of binge eating. I went through my daughters Halloween candy and just starting eating. I know it was about 10 candy bars. Who eats 10 candy bars?
    I seriously thought I was mental. Trust me you are not alone.
    Surround yourself with lots of friends from this site. I hope that was my last binge day - because this time I do feel much different. Most of the time I would throw myself a week long pity party that I'm meant to be fat - only losers binge eat and I'd gain back whatever weight I had lost. It's such a crazy cycle. I told my friends that I did a binge eating and put down every calorie I ate. My friends were so encouraging that I don't want to do it again.
    My problem is sugar - once you identify what triggers it - I think you can help yourself by staying away from the triggers.
    I think about food all day long - what to eat, when not to eat, why did I eat. Now I plan out every meal the day before and put it down on the food journal. I try really hard to stick to it. If I'm going out to eat like today for my son's birthday, I look up the calories so I know what to eat before I get there.
    Sorry so long - this is just what I know helps me.
    Don't be discouraged. It's all a process - and the best part is that you're at such a wonderful site to help you.
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Believe me you're not alone! when i'm stressed I cheat and when I cheat I get overboard and ate too much....It's just emotional eating..I have found that eating enough protein really helps me to satisfie those cravings, so I try to do it most of the time...
  • iavue
    iavue Posts: 63
    Options
    I grew up with two eating disorders, and now one still resurfaces once in a while...especially on my cheating days. I find that the more I workout the less I am likely to resort to puking my guts out for eatting too much. I know that I have done my share of caloric burning, so I cut myself a break. It's the days when I cheat and don't workout out that I still struggle with.