Coworkers and friends not very supportive.

Options
124»

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Who cares what anyone else says or thinks.

We are own our own path with health.................
  • sjackson310
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. To the woman with the smart *kitten* reply of not getting hired to be nice and supportive to coworkers personal goals, they really don't have to be negative, especially when never asked, about their coworkers goals either. If one of my coworkers told me she wanted to get morbidly obese as a sexual fetish, I wouldn't try and stop them, or criticize them (at least not out loud). I never asked for the comments of "there she is eating her salad again" or being asked fifteen thousand times why I am not eating the homemade lasagna that someone brought it. I spend 13+ hours per shift with these people, and we are so understaffed that we have no choice but to be a great team, which we are, but I don't see why what I eat is such a big deal to them. I am also the youngest one on the team, being just 23. The next youngest person is about 37 I think.

They don't know how much I have lost, or what my calorie goal is. I don't sit around and talk about my weightloss journey. They just don't see why I won't eat their food and keep eating healthy things from home.
  • dga226
    dga226 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My family is not very supportive if i say i lost a pound they be like where did you lose it. They come back and say your sister is walking or your sister losta pound and has not had soda heck they even think i parent wrond some times. i told them i am my own parent and i am not my cuz
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Staying Healthy at work is more difficult than this thread indicates, almost everyday is a special occasion...a birthday, a holiday ...an excuse to bring in leftover cakes, cookies and pies...earlier you mentioned twizzlers. They are pure fat and sugar and should be eaten as a treat.

Even if our OP didn't have to deal with the comments, she'd have so many desserts in the breakroom just sitting there beckoning .........

Yes, it is difficult to work with health professionals, they should be the first ppl to stop smoking, never smoke, care about triglycerides, monitor blood lipids, avoid extra fat, but they don't or can't set a good example.

When it comes to a healthy weight and how that looks, we've lost our way....so all that is left is to deliver putdowns , very stressful and unhealthy in a work environment.

Good Luck OP????????????
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. Just try to disengage as much as possible from any discussion or debate about food, calories, etc.

This has long been my personal M.O. whether I was actively trying to lose weight at the time or not. I think one of the most unprofessional things that is considered totally "acceptable" is discussing diet/weight loss ad nauseam at work. It's rather boring to most people to hear about what others eat or don't eat. If it's not, then someone probably has an issue.
  • michybeans
    Options
    A lot of people are just jealous and wish they had your willpower/determination/strength/motivation/etc to do the same. The people who are not supportive are most likely not putting your best interests in mind. As long as you are doing things the healthy way (ie exercising, not starving yourself etc) which it sounds like you are, then more power to ya and keep on going! :)
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yep. I had to stop making it obvious that I was counting calories, etc. at work, because people said I was obsessive, too. I disagree. I think that I'm working on a goal and have made it a priority, but not the ONLY priority, in my life. For those who need to lose weight and try to pressure you into eating "x," I've experienced that, too. Usually, those are the LEAST supportive. Misery loves company, I suppose. Regardless, if those close to you are supportive, then ignore the rest of them. It's not about THEM. So, don't let it be about them.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are just jealous and wish they had your willpower/determination/strength/motivation/etc to do the same. The people who are not supportive are most likely not putting your best interests in mind. As long as you are doing things the healthy way (ie exercising, not starving yourself etc) which it sounds like you are, then more power to ya and keep on going! :)

^^Yup.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    “Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.”

I like this lol.
  • ashleysarvi
    Options
    I definitely understand, its hard when people are waving tasty foods in front of your face trying to convince you to eat. The company I work for everybody is a foodie! Once a month they bring in a cake for birthdays. When we hit our bonus they have food catered in. I consider most of my coworkers to be my friends, we work in a small office and spend a lot of time together. They all know that I am trying to eat healthy and control my portions and tone up. I want to be a better version of myself. My coworkers are always trying to give me their left overs or when they go get food they try to get my food too. And that used to be great, but now its doesn't fit in my lifestyle. And it irritates me that they continually do it even after I tell them no. A couple times a week I will adjust my calorie intake for it becasue I know I need to give in to my cravings every now and then. I do not want to make a habit out of it. So I grit my teeth chug my water and ignore them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The reason my coworkers know is because they ALWAYS bring food, which is usually unhealthy, so i ask what is in it, or if it has a nutrition info thing on the back, I go and look (which is obvious) or I am scanning in foods with the scanner. I don't ever say "I am going to check the calories of these Twizzlers" but they get it. When they ask why I won't eat the candy that everyone else is eating and I just tell them "it has too many calories and itll throw me over my daily budget" I get told I am starving myself and I won't be able to stay on this diet long term. Which is funny because I eat lots of junk, but I knew about it beforehand and allot the calories to do so.

I don't need their support, it's moreso I hate the demeaning comments. I do not need them to cheer me on, but if I didn't ask them to make fun of me for this, then they need to cut that out. I wish they would just not say anything :/
    As for my friends, when I tell them my reasoning and that I am doing this for me and it's my goal, they get all butt hurt. IDK if everyone is just hormonal right now but I guess they just want me to take their criticism, but when I tell them this is serious and to stop saying this crap, they get all offended (yes, I say it nicely but firmly).

It's your life, not there's I don't look for my friends and co-workers to really validate what I'm doing. When my co-workers noticed that I was bringing my own lunches and snacks and eating a lot better I just told them I was trying to be a better me and get better nutrition...when they noticed that I was out running or riding my bike I just told them that I was trying to be healthier and improve my fitness. I didn't talk about dieting and what not...I just told them i was trying to be an all around better me.

Of course I took some ribbing and what not...who cares...it's my life, not there's. I don't expect their support...the vast majority of people eat the SAD which is for ****...let them eat it and go on about your merry way knowing that you're rocking your nutrition. Only roughly 1/4 of the U.S. population exercises on a regular basis...they're lazy and shamelessly so...so **** 'em and who cares what they think....you go rock your fitness and leave them to rot away with their sedentary lifestyle.

Eventually, people get it...nobody gives me too much **** anymore...mostly because they know I could pick them up and throw them through the third floor and I could commute my 30 miles to work on my bike faster than they can get here by car. They've seen me doing this for almost a year and a half and I rock, and they know it...

If you're going to live a nutritionally driven and fitness centric lifestyle you're going to have to come to grips with the fact that most people around you are going to think you're crazy...because again, most of the people around your are quite happy shoveling **** into their mouths and doing nothing in RE to their fitness...it's a completely foreign concept to them.
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've had to deal with the same thing too...I've had friends tell me I have an "eating disorder" because I count calories and that 1200 calories a day is anorexia level. They might be genuinely concerned, they might be overly nosy, or they might feel that you trying to lose weight forces them into the uncomfortable reality that they should also eat healthier. I wouldn't let it bug me too much, a lot of people think they're being complimentary when they say things like "You don't need to be a diet, you're so thin!" or "You can afford to have a few cookies!" It also makes them feel less guilty about eating said cookies.

It's like when a person who goes out for a smoke break with the same co workers every day announces that they're quitting smoking and will no longer join them for breaks...said co workers are bummed out because 1) they think it's an indirect judgment on them that they should also quit smoking and 2) now they've lost one member of their smoking group (that also serves as a social group).

I've had friends in the past tell me that making a comment like "No thanks for dessert, I need to lose my Christmas weight" is indirectly telling them (who weigh more than me) that I think they're fat and should lose weight. This isn't the case at all, but I could see how people could interpret my statements as judgmental. So now I just stick with a "no thanks". The less you say, the better.

I also find the unsolicited advice annoying. Everyone has their own 2 cents on how to lose weight and I've heard some bizarre ones like "cut out all carbs, fruits and vegetables and eat nothing but meat and cheese for a year" (umm, okay I'm pretty sure that's not healthy), "do a 12 day master cleanse", or "remember to eat a lot of vegetables, they're good for you"(didn't ask, and yeah, I think anyone over 10 knows that vegetables are good for you). Everyone thinks they're an expert in the area, even though what worked for them doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

Anyway, the reality is I think most people find people who are on diets talking about them boring if they're not on the same path. Same way I find it really boring to be around pregnant women and moms because all they talk about all their kids lol. So I try to limit my discussions about my health to this forum and other friends that are on the same wavelength as me.
  • ffhsanfran
    ffhsanfran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    keep the course. Nothing wrong with you. People will talk.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I love this magazine and this article may be right up your alley--it has strategies to deal with those saboteurs. Bottom line: their issue has to do with them, not you. Don't let someone else make their problem yours.

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/life-health/jaime-baird/how-i-beat-fitness-sabotage/
  • MsBluelipstick
    Options
    Whenever I apply for a job, I know a major part of that job is providing moral support to my coworkers toward whatever personal pursuits they have in their lives.

This made me LOL for real :)

I have a co- worker who is always going on about her diet...even tho I am also losing weight ( almost 60lbs in total) She is always going on and on and on about everything, how many calories are in something , what she had for breakfast...Drives us all nuts and it is not because I am jealous I am out doing her by 10 miles...

Not saying anyone has a right to be mean to you...but do be careful you are not over sharing either. There is a difference between saying "no thanks" and then going on about the cal count ect...