Healthy on the go snacks for work

Options
I like getting new ideas from what my norms are at work. In the past, I've had rice cakes, dark cocoa almonds, fruit of various kinds, beef jerky (that gets expensive REALLY quick...), greek yogurt, baby carrots (not a personal favorite), etc...

What are some favorite options you've had as snacks while you're at work?

Also, I currently have three cans of pumpkin puree and a lot of (3 lbs of each) chocolate and vanilla protein powder. Trying to find quick ways to utilize these items because I've noticed the more protein I eat, the less I eat overall in a day and less cravings.

All recipes and suggestions are much appreciated :) Pinterest is hit or miss for me.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Snickers bar. It's delicious, cheap, portion-size-controlled, and hits all the major macro groups.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hummus! I LOVE carrots, but you could dunk pretzels, celery, et cetera. Also, I love keeping pre packed veggies that I can just throw in the microwave, a protein shake, quest bars (at gnc), et cetera. Enjoy :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Pre-measured baggies of nuts/seeds. I make "trail mix" for my kids for a portable snack: pumpkin seeds, almonds, raisins (for something a little sweet). I just measure each on a food scale and make a ton of small baggies, stick in the cabinet, grab & go.
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm at work currently, reading this post and eating yogurt. I completely endorse Chobani greek yogurt. 140 Calories, 0grams of fat and 14grams of protein. Minimally i eat 2 a day but usually 3, great protein source and they taste amazing.

As 'kateross' suggested make snack packs, be it a trail mix or fruit or veggies, i make packs that are ~150-200 calories. Normally sunday night i'll make enough packs for the week this way i don't have to worry about eating too much on snacks.

I also have my cliff bars, builder bars and mojo bars. Cliff does make Luna bars which a geared more for women's nutrient needs.

As for your protein powder, use it to make up for any missing protein requirements. It is also a great way to ensure you don't eat/drink too much when out with friends. If i know i'm going out to drink and eat with the crew I will drink a protein shake before I leave, cuts down how much you eat and drink which can happen when there is beer and pizza and all that other delicious high-calorie goodness that you don't want to pay for on the treadmill later.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I go in phases in the types of snacks I bring, but usually I bring 2 per day out of the following: fruit, veggies and feta yogurt dip, string cheese or babybel, greek yogurt, nuts (faves are - all from Trader Joe's - wasabi almonds, chile lime cashews, and sesame honey almonds with tiny bit of roasted coconut strips mixed in). I also keep a jar of PB in my desk for emergencies - if I'm dying and am particularly tight on calories that day, then a tb of peanut butter is at least better than hitting the vending machine. Packets of oatmeal are good, too, as well as granola or protein bars (whatever you like).
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I actually second the oatmeal packs. I don't tend to eat them often, b/c of the sugar; BUT if I am dying for something sweet...the flavored oatmeal is better than candy and def more filling.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    You just pretty much ruled out everything I was about to suggest LOL.
    But how about making some mini frittatas or something?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    string cheese, nuts, or Clif Z bars (130 cal)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Apples and a small yoghurt are two of my faves.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I make my own beef jerky, which is much cheaper. Link to some recipes so you get the general idea.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/11/20/how-to-make-the-best-beef-jerky-in-the-world/
    http://www.food.com/recipe/oven-dried-beef-jerky-76496

Essentially, get thinly sliced beef. I buy bulgogi beef from the freezer section of the Asian grocer. You could also ask the butcher to slice it for you on the machine for cold cuts. In the worst case, slice it yourself. This is the step that is the most labor intensive.

Marinate overnight in a combination of garlic powder, soy sauce, brown sugar, and hot sauce.

Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake at the lowest setting (50C) of a fan assisted oven for around 4 hours, turning the meat halfway. The idea is to dehydrate the meat, not cook it.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    Mini omlettes in a muffin tin, homemade protein bars, protein cookies, homemade jerky is great as suggested, boiled eggs, pepperettes, smoked salmon spread, smoked oyster spread, imitation (or real) crab spread, tuna mixed with yogurt/mustard on crackers or pita chips, homemade granola or nutola, peanut butter/yogurt dip and apple slices, homeade energy balls, protein pancakes, protein pudding, protein shakes in a thermos...
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! YUM to the homemade jerky and I bet my fiancee will be super excited to hear about me making my own- I'll have to hide it from him lol. Didn't think about the protein pudding, but I know what I'm going to make tonight to take to school tomorrow! Also, several other awesome options :) Thanks everyone!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    blueberries, blackberries, raspberries or almonds (or just mixed nuts)
  • b218w
    b218w Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    fruit(apple, banana, grapes, berries, oranges,etc)
    nuts(almonds or cashews)
    unsweetened apple sauce (the ones in those individual packs)
    baby carrots

i eat all the above(fruit, nuts, apple sauce and sometimes carrots) for a snack everyday at work lol
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I never leave the house without an apple and some almonds.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Make a protein drink with the vanilla (or the chocolate) protein powder, some almond milk and some of the pumpkin puree. Add a dash of nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice. Depending on the proportions you use, it should be around 200 +/- cals and has good nutrition. I know what *I* will be having for a snack this week ;-)
  • vkmcewen
    vkmcewen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Rice crackers, "Mary's Gone Crackers" brand crackers, hummus, wasabi peas, honeycrisp apples, bulk granola from Whole Foods. I weigh each item ahead of time, and have in individual containers so I don't overdo it.
  • 1Lightstep
    1Lightstep Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello

That is an interesting question. Snacking at work is one of the things that can make or break a good healthy diet. I have read some of the replies and there are one or two I am tempted to try.

Sometimes when I am working I really feel like a snack, which is not always about feeling peckish but the act of eating, especially if I am doing something that is not very interesting. The higher my concentration on a task, the less I feel the urge to snack. Now that I incorporate walking on a treadmill while working, I find I need to drink more water, rather than snack, so that is another bonus of walking and working.

What I eat when working varies but my main go to snacks are cucumber, carrots, celery and crispy iceberg lettuce with a touch of lo salt and vinegar (crispy without being crisps), sometimes sunflower seeds and occasionally water biscuits. I look for anything that I can eat using 1 hand. Sometimes, I have the snacks on their own and sometimes I add a small amount of dip. If I do add dip I have most of it without and just have a little dip part at the end so as not to overdo it.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    For the pumpkin puree and the protein powder you can make pumpkin protein pancakes. Of course, that doesn't help you with a snack for work.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have an office job so it varies each day what I bring. This morning I had a hard boiled egg with sugar snap peas, red pepper slices and a few cherry tomatoes. This afternoon I plan to have 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt mixed with a tablespoon of peanut butter. It is amazing, tastes like a peanut butter cheesecake. I will then add half a banana sliced.

Most days its the greek yogurt combination that I bring. Sometimes I will bring my magic bullet to work and whip up a protein shake with protein powder, fruit and either almond milk or 2% milk.