LOWERING SODIUM INTAKE

Options
Im consistently going over my sodium goal daily. Anyone have any suggestions on how to cut down on sodium? How much does sodium affect my weight loss. Haven't really had time to research this yet any input helps thanks.

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    For me, it was just being aware. The more you study it, the more you chose the lower sodium alternatives.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It's only important if you have medical conditions or are prone to high blood pressure (or low pressure) I do tend to stick with a very low sodium diet (tendency for high blood pressure). You can look at my diary for tips if you want. Usually processed meats and premade dough and breads have high sodium content as well as canned soups and broths. I stick with lean fresh meats and low sodium bread and home made soup. Oh and I use very little in the way of table salt. Ask your doctor if you should be concerned about it. Good Luck.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Make and eat your own food. Prepackaged and prepared meals, etc. have tons of sodium added.

As long as your sodium intake is relatively consistent it shouldn't affect your weight loss.
  • AllOnMeWOL
    AllOnMeWOL Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks guys
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Cook everything you can at home. That will vastly reduce your sodium since it is in most packaged foods as a preservative and high in take-out/restaurant food as well.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of frozen meals or get a lot of take-out? I'm typically way under my sodium suggestion and I cook most of my food from scratch and use very little salt. I prefer other herbs and spices for flavor!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sodium will make you retain water like crazy, and it can affect your blood pressure and create other health concerns too. Looking at your diary, the chicken chow mein is your biggest culprit!

Do your best to stay away from packaged foods and your sodium will go way down. Not very convenient, I know! I try to cook on Sundays and Wednesdays and make meals ahead. I eat a lot of soup, squash, and home made veggie filled burritos :)

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Im consistently going over my sodium goal daily. Anyone have any suggestions on how to cut down on sodium? How much does sodium affect my weight loss. Haven't really had time to research this yet any input helps thanks.

You have a sodium goal? How did you determine that goal and validate that it is correct?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

I would say one of the culprit is Lachoy - Chicken Chow Mein, 2.5 cup @ 3,800mg.

Cut that out or eat once a week and ease up on the other high processed sodium foods, substitute with more home cooked foods, and your problem will be solved.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Eat less processed stuff (like things in a can, ham etc.) You'd be surprised how much sodium is in things. Good luck (my poison is sugar!)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a specific medical condition that requires you to monitor it, sodium is a nonfactor.