Discourged or confused? I discovered DATA2prove each person'

Options
:flowerforyou: Discovery, AND i have 2+months of DATA TO PROVE IT!! My base-line calories to maintain weight without gaining or loosing is 1400 ***NOT*** the 'one size fits NONE 2000 calories***. The ONLY time the scale moved to smaller numbers is if I eat less than 1100 calories and burn 200 of those calories off a day! Hope this helps some others that are wondering why their effort isn't paying off like the site estimates. Your base-line calories may be VERY different than the 'guided' suggestion of 2000-ish calories a day. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of eating 2000 per day to lose weight. Each person's size, age, metabolism, life style, etc. should go into play regarding how many calories a person needs to lose weight.
  • catgoodey
    Options
    another thing i know from previous sites such as this is you need to be REALLY honest about the things you enter in aswell. most of us are very sedentary in our daily lives whilst believing we are really active. just coz i'm knackered from looking after my 3 kids about doesn't mean i lose weight i'm just tired from the mental effort of it all. once i put in that i'm not very active and followed the guide from there i've seen really immediate results of 6lbs this week. the idea we should all be on around 2000 cal a day is barmy as we are all different heights, weights and fitness levels to start with. try a few things and don't just give up.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean - My baseline calorie goal is way less than what is recommended for me based on "YEARS" of experience of living in this body. I know the MFP suggests the goals - but they ARE averages, just like body temperature, blood pressure, etc. For example, if I have a body temperature of 98.6 - I likely have a low grade fever as my average body temperature is about 97.4 - 97.6 (this comes from years of monitoring body temperature and using it at times to get out of going to school when I was a child LOL). Also, my average blood pressure is well below what "normal" people my age have. So, knowing my body the way I do, I adjust the calorie intake per what I know my body needs to be healthy. I choose not to show my food diary because I don't want all the flack that goes with that. After 56 years of living in this body - I should know what it needs/wants/etc. I know when I eat out of boredom, when I eat out of hunger, etc. I strongly recommend that each person pay attention to their body and follow HONESTLY what it is telling you. I also know how much exercise I need to continue to reduce my weight. I do not deceive myself by thinking that just reducing caloric intake will get me to my weight reduction goals. I am very conscious of what I do, how much exercise I am doing, and am pretty good at estimating caloric burn related to my level of exercise. I would love to have an HRM to really verify this information (have asked for one for Christmas), but the reduction in weight that I have experienced actually speaks for itself that I am pretty on target. I have reduced my weight by 46.2 lbs since June 25th. That is just a little over an average of 2.3 lbs per week for almost 20 weeks. So, it is a good weight loss at a good rate.

Vickie
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of eating 2000 per day to lose weight. Each person's size, age, metabolism, life style, etc. should go into play regarding how many calories a person needs to lose weight.

For some, depending on their weight, when you add your exercise calories to your 1200 calories, the amount will be over 2000 calories - I think that's where Christiansurf got that particular number. Also, if your weight is really high and you set your goal to be say 1 lbs weight reduction per week/month/ etc. it will have an impact on how many calories you "should" eat according to the MFP calculator. The key issue here is that the 1200 recommended caloric intake is an "average" for most people. Not EVERYONE'S body functions at that level despite what others say.

Vickie
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!