Under eating

Options
So recently I hit a plateau in my diet.. I really want to get back on track and continue losing weight. I started measuring my food more accurately and working out more but I still couldn't lose more than 3lbs. So I started listening to my body more and I'm really only eating when I'm hungry.. But I'm finding it hard to eat 1200 calories a day now.. I'm eating more around 800 a day and being comfortable with that, not feeling deprived at all. Should I be worried? Can I really go into starvation mode even if I don't feel like I'm starving or even hungry?

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose those 3 pounds , how long did you not lose anyweight, and how much do you have to lose?
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It's less about the fabled 'starvation mode' and more about the nutrients your body is getting! At 800kcals it may well be very difficult to fit in all the nutrition you require. I'd suggest upping your calories and eating on a schedule as you'll get used to it quite quickly - personally I find it deceptive to 'listen to my body' because my appetite can be all over the place :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I agree that "listening to your body" is extremely deceptive. I listened to mine for too long, which is why I needed start listening to my brain. I think it would be very difficult to hit 100% in vitamins, calcium, iron, fiber, and protein on only 800 calories.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    What are you eating that you're full on 800 calories--I'm guessing inadequate fat, lots of vegetables/high fiber foods, egg whites, boneless/skinless chicken or some variation of extremely lean protein, fat free dairy products, sugar substitutes and the like. If you're full then eat real food and you'll get more calories in.
  • Ncoors
    Options
    It took me a little under a month to lose the solid three pounds. Which is a while for me. I was worried about getting all my vitamins so I have started taking a multivitamins and a prebiotic. I really want to lose 13 more lbs.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't think that supplements can possibly replace the nutrients you get from food. I make every attempt to hit 100% of all my micronutrients from food only. My only supplement is calcium with Vitamin D because I am in the highest risk category for osteoporosis.

So look at your nutrients without adding supplements and see where you are low. Often it is iron, calcium, and the vitamins.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't think that supplements can possibly replace the nutrients you get from food. I make every attempt to hit 100% of all my micronutrients from food only. My only supplement is calcium with Vitamin D because I am in the highest risk category for osteoporosis.

So look at your nutrients without adding supplements and see where you are low. Often it is iron, calcium, and the vitamins.

Yes - supplements can help somewhat but I believe that absorption of nutrients can be more effective when they are sourced from food. And macros, as well - your body will need fats, protein etc and I imagine it's hard to meet your goals on that in 800kcals. I think you'll be much better off in the long run at at least 1200kcals net - for the vast majority of people it is still a fairly large deficit so you should see some losses if you keep at it. 800 is likely to be unhealthily low and unsustainable.
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    Options
    you probably went into starvation mode the moment you started plateauing...

i know alot of people dont believe in "starvation mode" as if it were santa claus or something :) but it really just means that you're not giving your body enough food to use as energy and so your body thinks there isnt enough food around, and what happens is it slows down your metabolism so you dont die of starvation and can survive on lower amounts of calories. but by slowing down your metabolism, your weight-loss endeavors also slow down. it's probably why you feel satisfied at 800 calories, cause your metabolism has adjusted to a slower pace.

in the last 8 months ive gone into starvation mode like 3 times, and I've found that the best way to get out of it quickly is to spend atleast 3 days eating up to your maintenance calories, like no cutting calories for 3 days, and i also dont exercise for those 3 days. After that, on the 4th day start exercising and cutting calories again... **but a healthy amount** no going under 1200.. also, definitely always eat back your exercise calories. don't go under 1200 net

try it :)
  • malimisko
    malimisko Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Ncoors

What type of food are you eating? I am also eating low calories and read that you will always plateau - theory was that water collects for some time and then is released within a week you should break the plateau.

You can read Lyle McDonald has several books on this. Also you seem to be very close to your goal - do you know what is the % of body fat. For obese people eating very few calories should not kick the starvation mode. Even if it does it will be insufficient for you to stop losing. Example Lyle gives is that if you cut calories by 50% could reduce metabolic rate by 10% producing a net of 40% deficit. Only when you get to 5% body fat for men that starvation mode will kick in.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    It took me a little under a month to lose the solid three pounds. Which is a while for me. I was worried about getting all my vitamins so I have started taking a multivitamins and a prebiotic. I really want to lose 13 more lbs.
    if you only have 13 to lose, then you might want to consider losing just 0.5-1 pound a week. Being close to goal, 3 pounds in a month is a good rate.
  • Ncoors
    Options

i know alot of people dont believe in "starvation mode" as if it were santa claus or something :) but it really just means that you're not giving your body enough food to use as energy and so your body thinks there isnt enough food around, and what happens is it slows down your metabolism so you dont die of starvation and can survive on lower amounts of calories. but by slowing down your metabolism, your weight-loss endeavors also slow down. it's probably why you feel satisfied at 800 calories, cause your metabolism has adjusted to a slower pace.

in the last 8 months ive gone into starvation mode like 3 times, and I've found that the best way to get out of it quickly is to spend atleast 3 days eating up to your maintenance calories, like no cutting calories for 3 days, and i also dont exercise for those 3 days. After that, on the 4th day start exercising and cutting calories again... **but a healthy amount** no going under 1200.. also, definitely always eat back your exercise calories. don't go under 1200 net

I'm almost afraid to go above 1200.. I don't want to gain weight.. A week ago i wouldn't even question going above 1200 if I worked out but now I'm almost afraid to hit it because even eating more than 950 begins to feel like a binge.. I'm truly not hungry. I don't really know how to go about it..
  • Ncoors
    Options
    Hi Ncoors

What type of food are you eating? I am also eating low calories and read that you will always plateau - theory was that water collects for some time and then is released within a week you should break the plateau.

You can read Lyle McDonald has several books on this. Also you seem to be very close to your goal - do you know what is the % of body fat. For obese people eating very few calories should not kick the starvation mode. Even if it does it will be insufficient for you to stop losing. Example Lyle gives is that if you cut calories by 50% could reduce metabolic rate by 10% producing a net of 40% deficit. Only when you get to 5% body fat for men that starvation mode will kick in.

I eat whole foods and try my best to avoid anything processed or high in sugar. I don't know what my body fat percentage is but I know I do have a good amount of muscle because I play water polo year round.. It's evident in my thighs lol
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I'm almost afraid to go above 1200.. I don't want to gain weight.. A week ago i wouldn't even question going above 1200 if I worked out but now I'm almost afraid to hit it because even eating more than 950 begins to feel like a binge.. I'm truly not hungry. I don't really know how to go about it..

If 950 calories feels like a binge then maybe you need to speak with someone about your disordered eating.

Food really isn't the enemy. You need to get a certain amount of nutrients. You need protein, fats, vitamins, and supplements only help so much. Hunger cues aren't a reliable indicator of whether or not you're getting enough of these things.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options

3lbs in a month is pretty impressive! Weight loss will steadily decrease as you get closer to your goal. Eat 1200 calories or more. You're doing fine.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

3 lbs in a month is an excellent loss. No need drop your calories as low as 800. You won't go into the much misunderstood 'starvation mode', but you will lose lean body mass and it will be more difficult to keep the weight off, as your BMR will drop due to the lost lean mass.

Don't be in such a hurry. Those last 10 or so lbs should come off the slowest. Set your MFP goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week and you'll be fine.
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    Options

i mean you can slowly increase your calorie intake little by little over the course of a few weeks. but the way i see it is... if my metabolism slowed down to the point of where cutting 1000 calories has now become "maintenance" then if i spike my metabolism with the amount of calories that are really supposed to be my maintenance calories over the course of 3 days, thats only gonna be 1000 excess calories per day, and 3000 in total. So theoretically the worst case scenario is you'll gain back 1 pound, but you'll lose that 1 pound in the 3 days following that (if your deficit is 1000 calories per day) and your metabolism will now be functioning at a healthier level.

you know what, i just realized that i just assumed your deficit was 1000 calories... is that what 1200 calories is for you? a 1000 calorie deficit per day?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

No. :noway:
  • Ncoors
    Options

3 lbs in a month is an excellent loss. No need drop your calories as low as 800. You won't go into the much misunderstood 'starvation mode', but you will lose lean body mass and it will be more difficult to keep the weight off, as your BMR will drop due to the lost lean mass.

Don't be in such a hurry. Those last 10 or so lbs should come off the slowest. Set your MFP goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week and you'll be fine.

Won't I gain weight quickly though by eating that much more all at once? How do I get my calories back up without gaining...?
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness I am so dumb, what is starvation mode?
    I see this all the time and I wonder how someone can starve if they eat, although the calories may be too low. I guess all the homeless people are in starvation mode. Will someone explain it real good for the OP and for me, cause as old as I am, a great grandma, I never knew of anything like it. thanks.
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a Bunch of trial and error. Don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone and try to see what happens. Worst thing that could happen is you gain a pound or two back. You should take the end of your weight loss journey slowly, because your last ten pounds in the hardest. If you feel overwhelmed by the food and continue to cut calories, you may want to see a dietician or your family doctor about your eating habits and see what they say.