Most filling food, with the least amout of "crap"?

Options
I am always hungry....I need to eat almost every hour. I snack on alot of Veggies of all sorts. But I eat all day long. What is a filling food that isn't bad for you?

Replies

• chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Quinoa :)

A very well rounded food in the nutrition department, and very filling. Plus there are endless ways to eat it!
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Cous cous and spelt are delicious when mixed with vegetables (i steam vegetables and add cooked cous cous or spelt - yum!)
    also brown rice or rice crackers
    grilled chicken/tuna
    it depends what kind of food are you looking for
    bananas are quite filling also
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    steak
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    That depends on what your definitions of "crap" and "bad for you" are.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Cruciferous vegetables will provide you with the greatest volume of food for the least amount of calories. Things high in protein like egg whites are very filling and will keep you full much longer than carb heavy foods. I've found that fat is very satiating over time so it's great in combination with protein (things like a protein shake made with flax seeds). Fruit is somewhat filling but too many calories. Berries are your best bet for fruit since they're lower calorie/sugar. Things like grapes are awful if you want to limit calories.
  • jumpingsparrow
    Options
    Raw and unsalted nuts and seeds: walnuts, almonds, pecans, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, etc.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Protein. I like boneless, skinless chicken breasts and hard boiled eggs for filling and nutritious protein sources.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I think veggies are going to be one of your best options if you need a high volume/low calorie option. Maybe you should try eating more fat and protein with your choices, because no one should *need* to eat every hour or even every 2 hours. Maybe you are confusing non-hunger signals with hunger signals, or maybe you would be more satisfied if you simply ate more food at one time and just ate less often. I used to have days wehre I felt like I was always hungry, but that was when I was eating many small meals. I decided to try something different and now I have about 2 big meals a day and 2 snacks or so and I stay satisfied all day and the feeling like I'm starving never really happens anymore.
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I eat every hour:

Yogurt
    Fruit
    Cheese sticks
    Chicken
    Avacado
    Almonds
    Protein shake
    Beef Jerkey
    Tuna Fish
    Cottage Cheese

^^That's an average day for me
  • LemonMint6
    Options
    It depends on your goals, like how many calories you are allotting for it, how frequently you'd like to eat, how many calories/fat/etc you're willing to eat at a time.

I find that if I eat a breakfast that is 500+ calories, most of which come from fat/protein, I'm good to go for most of the day. My lunch can be light, veg and a little protein, a snack of nuts, and a normal dinner. I'm not starving, and I don't have to eat all day.

So to answer your question:

Omelet with 3 eggs (or 1 egg, 1/2 cup whites only) a tsp of coconut oil, a cup of chopped veg, and maybe 2 slices of bacon, ham, or some cheese, and some avocado.

Tuna Salad on cucumber chips and red bell pepper strips

Protein Shake with nut butter, almond milk, protein powder, cup of spinach, cup of frozen fruit, maybe a couple tablespoons of flax seed

Chopped cooked chicken breast mixed with a smashed avocado and salsa on a whole wheat tortilla or two

If I eat this kind of thing I'm not hungry for awhile, my snacks are usually an ounce of nuts, something like that, hope this helps!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Maybe stop eating so often and you won't be so hungry, eat larger meals
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Do you like almond milk? There's a 30 calorie per 8 oz kind. Maybe having some liquid in your stomach will help with hunger
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Steak
    Pork
    Chicken
    Fish
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I add spaghetti squash to many things that I have. Chili. Soups. Taco salad.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    look up whole 30 online or It Starts With Food. I have given up fat free and reduced fat stuff, dairy, grains and just made sure I eat good fats, olives, nuts, eggs and have protein (some kind of good meat) and veggies with each meal. I haven't been snacking or hungry for the past 6 days since doing this. The good fats make me feel satisfied. And I LOVE avocados and olives. :)
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Protein. I like boneless, skinless chicken breasts and hard boiled eggs for filling and nutritious protein sources.

This is spot on.

I do egg whites out of a carton in a van down by the river
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

This is spot on.

I do egg whites out of a carton in a van down by the river
    LOL
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    lately, i have been eating just a tablespoon of almond butter. may not sound appetizing but it fills me up and it helps with those pesky sweet/salty cravings that i get around 3pm.
  • lizwebb55
    Options
    I know I confuse non-hunger signals with "real" hunger signals..... but how do you really tell them apart? I get hungry REALLY often, and feel like I'm starving all the time. I am staying under my 1200 calorie goal almost every day, but I do feel hungry. I had the sleeve procedure a little over a month ago. I don't know if this "hunger" is more pronounced since surgery or not. I was told I would probably forget to eat afterwards, but that surely hasn't been a problem for me.. I need to eat more stick-with-me foods but I'm unclear as to what that would be. Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody