Fruit...bad for you?

Options
Ok, there's this woman in my office and everytime I eat a piece of fruit she tells me that "fruit makes you more hungry" because of the natural sugar in fruit. Is this true? I love fruits (eating a bowl of red grapes right now). I love veggies too, but grabbing a big bowl of green peppers isn't the same.

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    but grabbing a big bowl of green peppers isn't the same.

LOL! TRUE! I hadn't heard that before but even if it is true that does not mean fruit is bad for you. It is ok to be hungry. Just satisfy your hunger with healthy choices. Maybe some protein after your fruit, like nuts. IF you are in fact still hungry. ;)
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Fruit is not bad for you. It is high in sugar so you should watch your sugar consumption but fruit needs to be a part of your daily meals.
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    I don't think fruit is bad for you. I eat alot of fruit everyday and it does make me hungrier.
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    She is wrong fruit has water in it that helps you feel fuller. And quite a few fruits have fiber to help you stay satisfied......the sugar in fruit is good for you and so is fruit! :)
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ask her to quote a crediable source (i.e., New England Journal of Medicine etc...) for making such a general statement? Fruit is low calorie, low fat, high fiber and complexed carbohydrate and is very benificial for your overall health. However, there are some fruits such as bananas which have high hyperglycemic rates that will burn off (metabolize) faster in your blood so you will feel hungry at a faster rate during the day, however you can slow down that process by adding something like nuts along with your fruit as a snack. Enjoy.
  • mrsovernite
    mrsovernite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! That's what I thought too. I think she's just jealous that I've got a delicious bowl of grapes and she doesn't!
  • catgoodey
    Options
    ignore her. if you eat fruit instead of a biscuit, crisps or chocolate it's much better for you. try and mix and match with nuts and low GI food such as oatcakes but don't be fooled by a fool. it's better to eat fruit which is healthy and nutrious in so many ways than some of these so called diet bars and low cal foods which are full of artifical rubbish. the sugar in fruit is fructose mainly which isn't metabolised as fast as glucose (cane and beet sugar) and doesn't result in the hunger inducing sugar crash that you get from sugar and sweetners incidentally too. i have it on good authority from my dietician that it is always better to snack on fruit and veg than anything else.
    use the tools on here to track your food and carbs and you'll see it's true.
    maybe she's jealous you're commited to losing weight?
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    too much fruit is not good for your glycemic index but a apple or banana twice a day isn't bad. I recommend a banana or apple in the AM and toward the evening only an apple. The reason being is an apple doesn't raise your glycemic index like a banana will.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you, and you should not sweat the natural sugars in them. Eat as much as you want staying under your calorie goal. I have some sort of fruit almost every day, often with protein (cottage cheese anyone?). Fruit is way better than opting for chips, cookies, etc and your body needs sugars to run. Fruit sugars are highly preferable to refined sugars that are in almost everything.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    She's not you. How does fruit make YOU feel? Does it make you MORE hungry? If the answer is 'no', then she's wrong.

Everyone is different.

Charmagne
  • CrimsonScotty
    CrimsonScotty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    a bowl of fruit is definitely a better choice than a bag of donuts! It is high in sugar, but it's not the same as the refined sugar in a lot of other snacks. Do you stay hungry after eating it? If not then keep eating it and don't worry about what she says. If so, take ashlee954's advice and grab a handful of almonds or something with a little more substance to curb your appetite
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Fruit instead of?

What is she eating that keeps her full? And what is the calories?

All fruit is good for you, as long as it is not processed. In fact, I read recently that eating an apple an hour before a meal will actually make you eat less because of the fiber. I also learned that raspberries are high in fiber, who would have known. Most fruits are actually low calories compared to comparable servings of anything else.

I eat three fruits almost everyday: a banana, an apple, and a cup of blueberries. Total calories: 310. I am sure that beats her three snacks a day. The blueberries are frozen from my garden. The apples are from a local grower. They are healthy choices. With a good mix of grains and protein, it is part of a healthy lifestyle.

How is your calorie count? If the fruit is putting you over, maybe switch the type of fruit. Otherwise, enjoy the gifts of God's creation.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 2 servings of fruit daily and i'm still losing weight. Some fruits are higher on the glycemic index. You can also eat fruit with another macro-nutrient like something with a fat or a protein in it. That is food combining. Sometimes I eat a fruit with a protein bar/protein shake/or lean cheese.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    She is probably saying that because there have been studies done that say the more sugar that you consume, the more you crave sugar. This is true of artifical sweeteners as well, since they are actually sweeter than sugar. However, fruit also comes with some fiber, vitmains and so on. The key is moderation. Remember the food pyramid from elementary school? Fruits always had less servings than vegetables.