Frozen meals + reheating advice!

Options
hope this is ok to post here! I'm trying to practice cooking in advance so I don't waste food for myself and my boyfriend and to save time but i'm quite new to cooking and everything so some tips would be helpful.

So far i'm planning to make a cottage pie, chili con carne, bags of mixed vegetables, muffins, soup, and corn pasta. How would I go about reheating these in the oven/saucepans? I don't own a microwave and i'm really useless at knowing what to do in the kitchen!

Replies

• dc5729
    dc5729 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This page has all the recommendations on reheating frozen food and food safety generally

http://www.foodsafety.gov/index.html
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    U need to invest in a microwave. They will make it wayyyy easier and they are cheap.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    For stovetop heating, you can generally just place food (bagged) in a pot of water until it boils.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    are they foods in packages? If so follow the instructions on the package. If it says to microwave them, then buy a microwave. You can't reheat microwave prepared food (like cottage pie etc) in a pan. You may be able to reheat it in a conventional oven (check the instructions) but the results are not usually so good as it'll burn a little on the outside.

You'd be better off buying the ingredients and investing in a good recipe book and cooking the meals from scratch, rather than trying to reheat stuff in a pan that's supposed to be reheated in a microwave. Or, just buy a microwave. You can get them really cheap. I got a microwave for about 5 dinars (Bahraini dinars I think that'd be around 15 dollars) - the timer didn't work that well but it wasn't an issue as I have a kitchen timer on my phone.
  • symphoniaix
    Options
    I do plan to cook them all from scratch :) my new flat has a huge freezer and because i'm busy/lazy I was hoping to cook in bulk in advance every week or two then my boyfriend and I have our meals ready without spending time/effort. I think I might just have to buy a microwave after all! thank you for the advice.