Is chicken weighed when raw or cooked?

Options
Hi, I'm cooking some chicken, i weighed it and it was 300grams raw. Do i go by that i do i go by the cooked weight? Thanks

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Raw.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I always use the cooked weight when I'm logging my food.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You always weigh food raw or before cooking.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused lol people saying different things :P
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It depends on what nutritional information you're using. There are entries for both raw and cooked (various methods) foods. It is probably more accurate to choose a raw entry and weigh your food raw, but sometimes that isn't possible or convenient.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    There are entries for both cooked and raw chicken in the database. Use the entry that matches the state of the food when you weigh it. Just be sure that the entry matches. If you use a raw entry for cooked weight, then you are underestimating calories (I find that chicken typically loses 25% of its weight in the cooking process, mostly water), and vice versa.

I personally try to weigh my meats raw and enter them using the raw entries. But sometimes I forget to weigh it, so then I weigh it and find an entry that matches my cooking method (chicken breast, grilled, for example).

ETA: In other words, what SouthernArt77 said :laugh:
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way, if it loses weight in cooking, it's usually water, which has 0 calories. So, not knowing HOW much weight it might lose in cooking, it's better to weigh it AFTER cooking, so you're not overestimating the calories (by weighing water weight in raw food).
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    ok thanks everyone, If i take 50 grams off the raw weight would the be more accurate?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw when I can...cooked when I can.

IE if it's just me eating raw....if it's my family eating...cooked.

Just make sure you choose the correct entry...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ok thanks everyone, If i take 50 grams off the raw weight would the be more accurate?

No find the entry for Cooked, roasted, fried, skin on etc.
  • DannehBoyy
    Options

ok, there is only one entry, i have just looked, would you say that it is for raw or cooked? my food diary is open so you can see if you want to :)
  • chezjuan
    Options

This assumes that you are cooking chicken breast:

If you want to use the raw weight, use this entry: "Generic - Chicken Breast, Skinless, Raw 100 g (Usda Data)" and your calorie count will be accurate. So you would have 300g of raw chicken or about 360 calories.

If you roasted the chicken breast, you can use this entry: "Generic - Chicken, Breast, Roasted, Broiled, or Baked, Skin Not Eaten (Rls) 28 g (Usda Data)". Assuming about a 25% loss of mass due to water weight, it comes out to 370 calories (so basically the same as the raw).

Do not just subtract from the raw weight and use the cooked entry (or subtract from the raw weight and use the raw entry) as that will lead to bad numbers. For example, if you put in the 225g that the chicken weighs cooked as raw, you would get 270 calories, or be underestimating by 100 calories.
  • chezjuan
    Options

ok, there is only one entry, i have just looked, would you say that it is for raw or cooked? my food diary is open so you can see if you want to :)

I would guess that the amount listed is for raw, since it is close to the 360 calories specified in the USDA Raw entry. 15 calories is not that much...
  • DannehBoyy
    Options

I would guess that the amount listed is for raw, since it is close to the 360 calories specified in the USDA Raw entry. 15 calories is not that much...

Ive just weighed it cooked and its 200grams. Should i put 200g of generic oven cooked chicken breast?
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Here is the way the MyFitnessPal official entry for cooked chicken breast looks:

Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted

If you search for that, you will notice there is no asterisk in front of the entry, meaning it's an official entry. If you will try searching similar to this format (most generic term followed by more specific term, then either "cooked" or "raw"), you are more likely to pull up these entries and have more reliable information and also have the ability to change your unit of measure. There are entries for both cooked and raw for many things.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If the package says raw or cooked on it for serving size then go by that. I usually weigh my chicken breasts raw; however, whenever I buy a case of chicken breasts from Wal Mart it says on the nutrional label 3oz cooked. So, I weigh that after it is cooked.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way, if it loses weight in cooking, it's usually water, which has 0 calories. So, not knowing HOW much weight it might lose in cooking, it's better to weigh it AFTER cooking, so you're not overestimating the calories (by weighing water weight in raw food).

I'd think that if you don't know how much water is lost in cooking, it would better to weigh the meat BEFORE cooking when the contribution of water as a percentage of the total weight of the chicken is at its most consistent. Wait to weigh it after it's cooked and you have no practical way of knowing the percentage of water that's been lost. And even if you did, you don't know how much water was lost from the cooked chicken in the MFP database entry.

That said, I sometimes weigh after cooking anyway, as when I broil an entire roasting pan's worth of chicken breasts to be eaten at several days' worth of lunches. It's too much bother to keep track of the pre-cooked weight of each and every piece until it's eaten.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It depends on what nutritional information you're using. There are entries for both raw and cooked (various methods) foods. It is probably more accurate to choose a raw entry and weigh your food raw, but sometimes that isn't possible or convenient.

^^^ many times it is specified on the database or website you are using.
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help!