Cycling

I am thinking about getting a bike, is this a good way to lose weight? Also what muscles will I build up from cycling.

It will only be leisurely cycling and cycling to work.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Eating at deficit is a good way to lose weight. A bike is great and you may build some thigh muscle if you ride enough. Pottering around the neighbourhood won't likely do much at all other than be fun. I'd recommend at hybrid bike, something made for leisure riding with fenders.
  • livedb
    livedb Posts: 45 Member
    I recommend it!!! :bigsmile:

I bought a cheep Schwinn comfort Sierra a month after I started in May. I quickly fell back in love with riding a bike! I looked forward to getting out to ride every day!! Such great motivation! I put over 10,000 miles on it in 6 months :wink:
    I have now purchased my Fuji 29er. I use it on trails and off-road as well as doing 20+ mile road rides. My new passion. Looking to get a new road bike for the new year.

I credit it with most of my 60 lbs of weight loss. I recently went on vacation for a week for the first time since dieting, and ate what I wanted and came back only 2 lbs heavier. My motor is purring like a Puma!

Just pick out a nice trial with at least one good hill, and get it done! Soon, you will want to try two hills!
  • Thanks guys :) I will be cycling 12 miles a day if I do it as work is 6 miles away so 12 for a round trip :)plus its a good way to get some fresh air :) which I don't get much of being on a bus all the time.
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    I started cycling to work in September, on top of the running and strength training I was already doing. In that time I've only lost 2lbs but I've lost 2 inches from each thigh, 1 from my hips and 3 from my waist. I also have way more energy throughout the day than I used to.