Weigh In Day and Weight

Options
Hi all,

Question on a good day to mark as official weekly weigh in day? Are Monday mornings best or maybe Friday mornings? Before weekend vs. after weekend?

Also, on weight numbers, should I enter tenths? So if one week I am at 239 and the next week it is 238.4 is that what I should enter. Or just round up/down accordingly?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• gmhaggie06
    Options
    Hey buddy!

I don't think the date matters as long as it's consistent. I'm typically lighter on the weekends because I sleep in until 830-9 rather than 600 on the weekdays (my body is empty for 3 hours longer on weekends). Since you're just looking for the difference in weight, I don't think the date actually matters. I log in tenths myself, but that's just me.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I do count the tenths. It is something, and some weeks that might be all the change you see.

You're going to have to determine the best weigh day for your habits. I used to weigh every day just see see the trends. At first my weigh day was saturday, but every week I found that Sunday was always my lowest weight. I started counting Sunday as my weigh day and everything else during the week was just normal fluctuation. I don't recommend having a weigh day after a weight lifting day, I always hold water the day after.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It depends on you, really.

I weigh daily because I like data. I have a WiFi scale so I don't do the reporting or plotting myself (though I do keep an eye on it), and my scale reports in tenths of a pound (which I prefer).

Lots of people recommend setting a weekly weigh in, which is a good idea I guess if you have scale anxiety, but I don't really understand it. The idea is to get an snapshot not of your weight but of the trend, but drastically reducing your sample frequency isn't going to magically make your once-weekly weigh in date immune to the effects of daily variation, it just ultimately means you have less information to work with.

That said, knowing myself, if I personally were to weigh in only weekly I would probably choose a midweek point. Not Monday, because my eating habits are not as stable on the weekends, and I wouldn't choose Friday in case a gain caused me to rest on my laurels over the weekend.

As with everything though, your mileage will vary here...
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Have to concur with the other posters. Does not really matter which day you chose as long as you always due it at about the same time. So every Monday or every other monday works. I do mine every 2 weeks on Monday. To be honest that is probably to much for my taste. LOL
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I enter my actual weight and do not round (up or down). I weigh on Fridays. It seems to keep me on track for the weekend. If I am up, I tend to splurge less. If I am down, keeps me on point as well. You just need to find what works for you!
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I don't round my weights so if it's the 238.4 that's what I'd log. I weigh in before I eat anything in the morning. Just shifted my day to Tuesday since that is going to be my rest day. But whatever day works best for you. My best friend likes Saturday since she cheats that afternoon/evening. So I think that's really based on your schedule.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every single morning after going to the bathroom and before consuming any food or water. I keep track in a spreadsheet with a line for each week and with columns for maximum, minimum, and average.

At the end of each week, whatever my average is for the week is what I put into my online trackers.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm a data nerd, weigh often and use all the precision you have. A consistent day is the right answer. Monday's put a psychological damper on weekend hedonism for me so if that is true for you use Monday's. Or not.
  • ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I record my weight on Tuesday, because that is the day I started MFP. I weigh everyday though. And the scales I started on go by the 1/2 lb, so that is what i use. I do also weigh on a scale that is 10th of pounds. But because it is not the same as the ones I originally started on, I don't want to over scew my my weight loss.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely record the 10ths - a loss is a loss! While we're on the subject, I'd also suggest taking body measurements and/or progress pictures. Sometimes the scale isn't the best measure of progress.

When I was a WW member, I found having a set weigh-in day led to me playing little games with myself. If weigh-in was Saturday morning, I felt like I could indulge a bit on the weekend because I had the rest of the week to catch up. If weigh-in was Tuesday, I was more likely to eat well and even get some exercise in over the weekend and I would take Monday as a rest day to give my body time to release any post-workout water weight.

Now I weigh every day and log any losses. I only log increases if they stick longer than a couple of weeks (because most of the time increases are just temporary water weight from high sodium, hormones or intense exercise)
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day first thing when I get up (not always in the morning though! LOL). I don't record tenths myself, but that is just my preference. I log any differences whether I go up or down. I don't round the tenths either (ie. 238.2 is 238 and 238.7 is also 238) As was already said, you just need to stay consistent with whatever you decide on for yourself.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My weigh day is Friday. That way, if I eat a lot over the weekend, I have time to work it off.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think pick a day that works best for your life & your schedule. I only weigh in once a week & originally used Mondays but by the spring moved it to Fridays because I found that if we were out with our kids on the wknds or travelling we couldnt' get to enjoy treats with them if we wanted too or had to be extra careful about what we ate because it was just before weigh in. The 2 days prior I make sure to keep my sodium down otherwise it messes with my weigh in. So having the occasional treat while camping or travelling like going out for supper would mess me up on Mondays. Fridays just make so much more sense for me now. Then I get my treats in on Fridays or Saturdays. I also weigh in the same time, its always at 7am, before my shower :-)
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I weigh mysefl every morning. It's a little reminder to myself that helps me to start the day motivated to make good choices about eating and activity. I do my "official" weight and measurements on Monday mornings before breakfast.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    i weigh in fridays and mondays to see how i did over the weekend.
  • Shaquana2
    Options
    I don't weigh ineveryday, every two weeks only because i feel that mentally i would worry myself sick about gaining and loosing. But i do count the tenths because eventually it would add up. I dont think it matters what date, i weigh myself every two weeks on wednesday and thats what im sticking to until my desired weight unless something changes and i have to make changes to "Health Plan". Hope this helps
  • Paula038
    Paula038 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but I also only record losses, since the gains tend to be disappear within a day or two. They are generally caused by heavy weight training or high sodium intake (I gained a pound from Chinese takeaways this week and lost it again the next day). I often see the recommendation on MFP to weigh after a rest day, when you are not sore from training, and when your sodium intake was normal on the previous day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    just make sure it is same time, every day …

there is no science to weighing in ...
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm also a data person and weigh myself everyday and use a spreadsheet. My official weigh in day on MFP is Thursday, just because the first morning I weighed myself on my new scale was a Thursday. Being consistent is the most important thing.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I get weighed on Monday mornings, naked, right after I go to the bathroom. I do count tenths. For me, knowing that I have to get weighed on Monday keeps me honest on the weekends (not that I'm much of a partier anyway). And as someone else mentioned, sometimes the tenths are all you see and that feels better than seeing no change, but everyone has a routine that works best for them. I also get weighed on Thursday mornings but I don't record that weight. I just use it as a guide to make sure I'm on track.

I guess regardless of what you do, just be consistent. Good luck!