I need motivation

Options
Other than music, what other ways can I motivate myself?

Replies

• HRCephei36
    Options
    It always helps me when I can find someone to run with. It's good accountability and a bit more fun to run with friends.
  • lisakay0x
    lisakay0x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    INSTAGRAM! There are a ton of accounts dedicated to real fitness transformations. My favourite right meow is @trainandtransform. So many inspirational people with great fitness tips and motivating messages.

Whenever I feel "meh" about going to the gym I'll look through the pictures and remember that the only way I'm going to get results is by working my *kitten* off, literally.
  • Bound4Kona
    Bound4Kona Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I run through the scariest, roughest neighborhood I can find. LOL!

No seriously, eventually you will begin to exercise because you have to, not because you want to. You'll see the positive changes and it will become almost an obsession.

Dare to keep going!
  • lauragokey5
    Options
    I have a poster with all of the things I want to accomplish each day....tack my food, drink my water, exercise, clean the house....the list goes on. If I accomplish it, then I give myself a star sticker for my chart!! Once I fill in five stars for each one, I get a treat. A movie, a new pair of shoes, or even a frozen yogurt. I don't always fill up my stars every day, so it shows me what I need to do better on.
  • g82green
    Options
    I have two pictures up in my kitchen. One from when I was thin and one after I gained the weight. It's motivation for me to NOT snack at night.

Good Luck! Feel free to add me!
  • bestbreakfast
    bestbreakfast Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also need motivation, like you. I recently lost 10lbs and then just fail off the wagon. I've been off for weeks. While I was losing weight it became a habit and a NEED to exercise and eat healthy. I stopped craving bad foods. The longer I did it the easier and more natural it became to just eat healthy. I recently came back from vacation, and that's what did me in. I seem to do fine when I'm at home, with a routine, with control over the kitchen, but when I go on vacation I just find it very difficult to stay motivated to eat right. While on vacation and ever since my return, I have been eating junk and managing to get only a day or two of exercise in a week. I have completely reverted back to my old ways. I am here, posting on your topic in attempts to get motivated and back into a healthy lifestyle mindset. Maybe if I can find others like me on MFP I can get back into a good train of thought.
    I guess my reply was more of one of understanding than tips or advice. Just know you're not alone in this!
  • apullen92_mfp
    Options
    I need friends on here! Add me! apullen92_mfp
  • Kleese86
    Kleese86 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I found two things helped motivate me:

1) Finding an exercise I liked. For me it was swimming lengths. I hate the gym and I hate running because I found time stood still. But I found jumping in a pool and swimming lengths time flew by and I could challenge myself in different ways to pass the time (sprints/recovery; endurance; switch strokes; etc)

2) Time--after about 2 weeks of swimming 4-5 days a week and playing a game of squash I found that on my off days my body was craving exercise and pushing myself a lot harder in the pool. I took 2 days off this weekend because I hurt my shoulder and it was killing me…I ended up doing a really light workout using an elliptical because it was bugging me so much.

Hope this helps, and keep at it!
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    Honestly, past negative comments either from myself or from others. I figure I can use my defiant attitude as an advantage.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    If I need the extra push I just stop and think about how it all felt a year ago. I remember not being able to walk, not being able to tie my shoes, not being able to do dishes, not being able to do much of anything. Now I cant wait to get to the gym in the morning, or on my bike on the weekends.

Just remember rock bottom and the climb up will keep you motivated.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    We are all different in what motivates us. For me, I find mfp and blogging motivating. If I put a goal out there on the web, I feel compelled to meet it. I also have friends on my list who will always work harder than I, but hearing about their workouts encourages me to work a little harder myself. Some people give themselves rewards, or join a race. I say keep trying different things until you find something that works. Once I'm on a roll, intrinsic motivation kicks in!
  • VIVIANGREAVES
    Options
    BY TAKING PICS OF UR PROGRESS
    SEE HOW U LOOK NOW AND SINCE U STARTED
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Having someone to work out with really helps. But if you cant have that, get your music and zone out to find that happy place.
  • joggingforme
    Options
    thank you so much, you're right :-)
  • joggingforme
    Options
    amazing, thank you
  • joggingforme
    Options
    thank you all that replied. This is definitely the push I needed. :smile:
  • joggingforme
    Options
    this helped me a lot. I'm trying and I'll know I'll get there. Starting is definitely the hardest...I have to remember how I want to look a year from now and keep that in mind when working out and watching what i put in my mouth. feel free to add me, if you'd like :-)
  • alinawysocki12
    Options
    Never give up on a Dream just beacause of the time it will take to accomplish it.

The time will pass anyway.

"Find your motivation something active every day" :)
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I run through the scariest, roughest neighborhood I can find. LOL!

No seriously, eventually you will begin to exercise because you have to, not because you want to. You'll see the positive changes and it will become almost an obsession.

Dare to keep going!

Unfortunately I live in a relatively safe neighborhood, so I can't follow the first line of advice :3P but this guy speaks the truth. I was in the same boat fairly recently myself-- At first I wanted to work out because I wanted to get in shape. I tried the P90x program and after the first few days I was amped, I was ready, and I was killing it. But after the first week, I found myself winding down, and my high wind slowly faded into a zephyr, and then just... *raspberry sounds* squat-- nada.

Perhaps I had set my expectations too high, or maybe it was because I was working myself to the point of damaging my body (I haven't worked out since high school, so jumping into a high intensity program was really unwise on my part) but either way, I got that taste of glory, and now I'm back for more!

If you haven't checked it out already, Fitness Blender is an *amazing* site full of free exercise routines, complete with an advanced search option so you can find *just* the right workout for you. They have everything from 10 minute beginner workouts to 80+ minute sweat your blood workouts. There's also some "# week fat loss programs" on ebook that you can buy, but I was able to construct what I'm hoping is a pretty solid workout plan, 5 days a week, 4 different workouts (2 pairs of each) none of which total more than 35 minutes a day! I spent a good couple hours picking out the right workouts for me (being a beginner) so if you like, I'd be more than happy to share my plan with you-- if only to build off of!

Good luck, and keep us posted!